Do you wear your PFD (open water)

PFD is a habit

– Last Updated: Jan-27-14 7:55 PM EST –

Getting a good fitting, comfortable , PFD "may"
take a slight teeny bit of effort, i.e. you
might have to try out a few different manufacturers
and various models by clipping them onto your body.

After that, it goes on my body just like my swim trunks,
or paddling pants or drysuit. It's that natural a move.

People make all sort of excuses for not wearing one
and I believe its because they haven't been
scared enough by mother nature just yet in their paddling

It's a little like that cyclist who flips
over his handle bars on concrete
and then wears a helmet

I ALWAYS wear my PFD
well, I did go on a cruise a few years ago and didn’t wear it on the ship. I wear it on whitewater, flatwater, lakes, river, saltwater marsh, creeks, and swamps- in a canoe, a kayak, a duck, or a raft.

That’s me. You do what you want. Call it what you want as well: a lifejacket, pfd, lifevest- it doesn’t matter. If you wear it your safer than if you don’t. I’ve never finished a day of paddling and thought- I wish I hadn’t worn my lifejacket today. On the other hand there have been many days I was glad I made the decision to wear it. Personally, I find “open water” to be one of the most intimidating environments,a place where I would want to wear a pfd the most. A change in shore topography/weather/wind/waves can result in a sudden shift in conditions. I’m an old boyscout, better to “be prepared”. As far as shallow being safer, that’s where I dislocated a shoulder - glad I had my lifejacket on that day as well. It makes a nice sling.

http://youtu.be/q7aSL6m4L5Y check it out at 4:17

Always
It’s become second nature and a wise habit.

Inflatable belt?
An area kayak shop had a picture of one of their salesman out on the gulf and it appeared he wasn’t wearing his PFD. So many people commented they posted a caption saying he had on an inflatable belt type PFD

I wear my Astral unless I’m spending more time dragging my canoe than paddling, then I switch to my Fisherman’s PFD

Always
1. I was a man overboard one time, in the middle of the Chesapeake, and all I had was my shorts. A passing boat picked me up after I survival bobbed for a few hours. A few hours by myself, during which my survival odds were dwindling, made an impression, and that’s an experience I will never repeat, because I wear that PFD all the time, even on power boats.

2. Wearing the pfd models good behavior for people that might not know any better.

~~Chip

Always…
…if I’m out on the water, it’s on me.

It saved my life.
See pg 251 of More Deep Trouble. I made enough stupid mistakes and assumptions that day that my survival margin was razor thin. A Dr. told me later I was within minutes of losing consciousness.

The PFD’s flotation kept me higher in the water and provided insulation , while saving effort to stay afloat.

I always wear it and keep my radio on it or in the deck bag.

SYOTW

Randy

ALWAYS! my rule is lifejacket on
WHENEVER I am on the water, openwater, closedwater, shallowwater, deepwater.

I do
and I don’t paddle with people who don’t. I’ve had to do enough rescues in cold, and sometimes moving, water that I’ve learned a healthy appreciation for floatation.

In all situations, rescues increase risk to everyone involved. If they can be avoided, or rendered less severe, though the use of a PFD, this should be done.

Rick

Mostly…
What works in the cold waters of the Great Lakes, or the coast of Oregon may not be what works for the shallow Gulf coast paddling with warm water and a hot sun. Even here in the warmth, I’d lean toward using it in what I’d consider open water.

Use your head, and use your tools. Your life may well depend on it.

T

PFD
Always on no matter what type of water we paddle.

another mostly, but only don’t when
The air and water temp is quite warm, I am in a group, conditions are calm and the water is often only waist deep. In the sounds of NC, those conditions come together more often than you might think. But most of the time I am very vigilant about it.

Always, no exceptions.
My VHF radio is always mounted on the shoulder strap of my PFD. Here’s how to do it:

http://briannystrom.com/?page_id=173

Always
when kayaking in pool, creek, stream, river, inlet, bay, surf, ocean. Even before reading DT the first time some years ago. I prefer this to remain my choice and not govt mandated.

Always
If I am on the water (even in a pool) I wear one. Its easy to put on and since I wear it all the time I don’t notice it.

VHF goes on the PFD where I can use it one-handed, not in a pocket.

Most of the time
Except in hot summer weather when I’m paddling close along shore. I see it as a relative risk. I also ride a bicycle several thousand miles each year on New Jersey roads and that is many times more dangerous than a summer paddle on Barnegat Bay. But when I get down to Barnegat inlet with its fast running currents and big motor boat wakes, the PFD goes on regardless of the temperature and humidity.

Always
I always wear my PFD while on the water, just as I always wear my seatbelt while driving my car. I’ve found that life becomes so much easier if one just develops certain good habits–like always wearing the PFD while paddling. You arrive at the launch site and automatically put on the PFD, rather than engaging in some sort of debate with yourself whether today is a PFD day or not. It’s always a PFD day, so one can concentrate on other, more important issues.

Always, no question
I have not VHF or PLB, though, which is probably something I should fix.

In my younger years
I spent a lot of time sailing and never wore a pfd, but then I was also invulnerable. To some degree I brought that attitude to kayaking, but not when I stepped up to sea kayaking. Maybe it was part of the aging process, but also I think it was part of the sea kayaking motif in that it is part of the uniform. Finally, acquiring a really good pfd that is so comfortable and comforting, it has become my security blanky.

yes, other than some races.
All of the time while not racing, 90% of the time racing.