Do you wear your PFD (open water)

Mostly…
What works in the cold waters of the Great Lakes, or the coast of Oregon may not be what works for the shallow Gulf coast paddling with warm water and a hot sun. Even here in the warmth, I’d lean toward using it in what I’d consider open water.

Use your head, and use your tools. Your life may well depend on it.

T

PFD
Always on no matter what type of water we paddle.

another mostly, but only don’t when
The air and water temp is quite warm, I am in a group, conditions are calm and the water is often only waist deep. In the sounds of NC, those conditions come together more often than you might think. But most of the time I am very vigilant about it.

Always, no exceptions.
My VHF radio is always mounted on the shoulder strap of my PFD. Here’s how to do it:

http://briannystrom.com/?page_id=173

Always
when kayaking in pool, creek, stream, river, inlet, bay, surf, ocean. Even before reading DT the first time some years ago. I prefer this to remain my choice and not govt mandated.

Always
If I am on the water (even in a pool) I wear one. Its easy to put on and since I wear it all the time I don’t notice it.

VHF goes on the PFD where I can use it one-handed, not in a pocket.

Most of the time
Except in hot summer weather when I’m paddling close along shore. I see it as a relative risk. I also ride a bicycle several thousand miles each year on New Jersey roads and that is many times more dangerous than a summer paddle on Barnegat Bay. But when I get down to Barnegat inlet with its fast running currents and big motor boat wakes, the PFD goes on regardless of the temperature and humidity.

Always
I always wear my PFD while on the water, just as I always wear my seatbelt while driving my car. I’ve found that life becomes so much easier if one just develops certain good habits–like always wearing the PFD while paddling. You arrive at the launch site and automatically put on the PFD, rather than engaging in some sort of debate with yourself whether today is a PFD day or not. It’s always a PFD day, so one can concentrate on other, more important issues.

Always, no question
I have not VHF or PLB, though, which is probably something I should fix.

In my younger years
I spent a lot of time sailing and never wore a pfd, but then I was also invulnerable. To some degree I brought that attitude to kayaking, but not when I stepped up to sea kayaking. Maybe it was part of the aging process, but also I think it was part of the sea kayaking motif in that it is part of the uniform. Finally, acquiring a really good pfd that is so comfortable and comforting, it has become my security blanky.

yes, other than some races.
All of the time while not racing, 90% of the time racing.

Only Open Water?
Akin to wearing a seatbelt only when you’re driving out on the interstate IMHO. I paddle primarily streams you’d have no trouble throwing a ball across. Every year we come across and assist a few folks in trouble, and they are the ones who rarely have a PFD on.

On the water, crap can happen. And one thing you always seem to hear echoed about most drowning victims is “He/she was a GOOD swimmer?” When you mix adrenalin and emergent situations, most folks have trouble swimming. Add a boat full of water, belly full of beer, cold water, a nasty strainer, tough water conditions, et al and you’re playing Russian Roulette.

If you’d ever had a kid bobbing underwater screaming “Don’t let me drown, DON’T LET ME DROWN” as you struggled to find an eddy next to a nasty strainer to attempt his rescue, I bet you’d encourage EVERYONE on the water to wear a PFD as I do?

Glad to see
Glad to see people wear there Life Vest. I guess the ones I read about in the two deep trouble books are exceptions to the rule. Plus alot of those stories are from several years back too.Maybe things have changed over the years.

I was just curious. The other thing I noticed most was that many were not in the right clothing for the water temp. As one poster mentioned about his story on page 251. I was paddling on the Niagara River late this season and water was at 45F. I wore my drysuit, about 10 others in the group, most I didnt know. No one had much of anything on. They looked at me as I heard some say, jeezze look at this guy with the full suit.Like I was the crazy one. Conditions were dead calm but still.

Eddie Bauer
Celia, I saw and thought the same thing in the Eddie Bauer catalog that showed up in my mail box. I posted the same thing in a couple of facebook groups I belong to. I also love the caption at the bottom of the photo that lists the “professional” guides names and then says “paddling the shark infested waters…” The caption adds just a hint more to danger factor.

Of the four guides listed, only one is listed as a kayak guide and I would bet $100 that he doesn’t let his clients leave the beach without a PFD.

Like someone mentioned, not wearing my pfd is like not wearing a seat belt. I feel naked without it. I could be paddling a mud puddle and I’d still wear mine. It’s about being safe, responsible to myself and others and it’s smart. I don’t buy the “it’s hot” excuse. You’re 6" from the water, splash yourself.

always.

– Last Updated: Jan-28-14 12:31 PM EST –

I'm so used to it I don't feel right without it on. I use it in pool sessions even. It's what I'd be wearing if I capsized in rough conditions so it makes sense to be as used to it as I can. I went to a different brand for a cooler PFD, but if I overheat in the middle of a body of cool water that's my own fault.

I only take my VHF sometimes but when I do it's on my PFD on the front of the shoulder strap. GPS is on-deck if I take it. Cellphone is in a waterproof bag in my PFD pocket. I'm not telling you where I keep my wallet.

Always on the sea but not always on lake

– Last Updated: Jan-28-14 2:02 PM EST –

If it's a big lake with rough conditions or very cold water, I treat it as ocean paddling minus the tidal factor: Wear the PFD.

If it's small, sheltered, and not so cold, I usually don't wear the PFD.

On rivers, I always wear it, regardless whether "open" or with nearby shoreline.

There is also an occasional exception to my ocean rule: If in a sheltered cove or bay with warm weather and water I might not wear the PFD.

It depends on more variables than "openness."

When I bring a VHF radio, it rides in the day hatch.

Life jacket
Always. vhf is in the chest pocket.

"Deciding"
Pikabike’s post demonstrates that “deciding” thing at the launch site. All those factors… Easier (and safer) to just develop the PFD habit, and be done with the deciding ritual.

I’m in Jackl’s boat.
I will wear one most of the time but not always. If the temps are high and I’m paddling flat water I leave it on deck.

I’m the same way with a bike helmet. If temps are high and I’m riding in a low traffic area the helmet stays home.

I know this will send the PC crowd into a frenzy but you have to judge the risks and plan accordingly.

Sometimes

– Last Updated: Jan-29-14 1:04 AM EST –

I paddle (relatively) safe small rivers, small/medium lakes and large but slow rivers here in MN. I only wear a PFD when the water is cold, conditions are rough, or there is some other risky circumstance. I try to avoid risky circumstances (paddle with a group in general) and paddle close to shore when appropriate (not too hard to do in the midwest).

As earlier posts elude, its foolish not to wear one when there are elevated risk circumstances such as fast moving water, cold water, a long distance to shore, rough conditions, or whatever else may likely contribute to an unforeseen accident. Its good habit though; I wouldnt argue that for a second and never discourage others from wearing one in any condition. I basically make the risk assessment at shore. If im 99.9999% sure I wont die, I probably wont wear one. If im 99.9998% sure I wont die, I put it on =) Ill take the 1:100000 chance that something freakishly unlikely happens. But anything is a possibility any time you're on the water...

Every spring during early season paddling, I see ignorant paddlers or fishermen in a T shirt and no PFD on within a couple weeks of iceout...I guess it pays to be lucky? In those conditions, Im cautious even with a drytop and pants, pfd, 2 changes of clothes, fire starter, paddling close to shore ect. The most dangerous ones 'dont know what they dont know'.