Offical10th Annual SBIKR Page-Lake Erie

-- Last Updated: Feb-02-14 11:44 PM EST --

The South Bass Island Kayak Rendezvous is celebrating it's 10th anniversary June 6-8, 2014. Based at South Bass Island, this is the premier kayak gathering on Lake Erie.

Paddlers from throughout the Midwest join more than 100 kayakers to paddle the Lake Erie Islands, socialize, eat and paddle some more. Attendees make their own reservations at South Bass Island State Park.

Our gathering is accessible by water or by ferry. Our Friday night pot luck has become a legendary affair and there are more than a dozen islands to explore. Paddle the needle's eye, make multiple island crossings. Visit North Bass Island, check out the rattles on Rattlesnake Island, see the remains of a lighthouse on Green Island.

Visit our official website:
http://www.sbikayakrendezvous.com/

Check out our T-shirt page to see this year's collectors logo. For more information post a message here or email emanohtol@yahoo.com

I will be at site 105
I am looking forward to it as I have every year for a long time.

We"ll be there
Site 135

Barry Kathy

Whoo Hooo
It wouldn’t be the same without you guys!

Emanoh

site #109

Sounds like fun
Thanks for posting about this, I am going to check it out.

After a swing and miss last year…
…I snagged site 114. Just hope that by June the ice will have melted!

All are welcome
Tell your kayaking friends and neighbors. This is the 10th year, so let’s really pack the state park. We normally pack it anyhow, but lets go over the top this year!

Emanoh

Logistics?
Is it relatively easy to take the ferry out to the island? Is it a long way to get from the ferry drop off point to the campground? The largest body of water I have ever paddled on was Grand Lake St Mary’s or Lake Loramie which will be like a puddle compared to Lake Erie. I have not been paddling much for the past several years due to taking a detour and battling cancer, but I am well again and would love to make this weekend happen.

logistics

– Last Updated: Mar-19-14 1:03 AM EST –

Kim,

There are basically 4 ways to get to SBI State Park for the SBIKR. Last time I checked there are still campsites up in the park. The cliff sites are taken but the sites back in the trees are fine. Most hang with us at one of any number of campfires along the cliffs. Getting to and taking the Miller Ferry is very easy. It's the most direct shot and I've never known anyone bringing a kayak over on the Jet Express, those boats aren't really set up for hauling gear.

1. Paddle over from the mainland. Most put in at the small sand/stone beach just east of the Miller Ferry. We drop our gear, park our cars in the free Miller Ferry Parking and walk back. All of your gear packs in your boat. You have the luxury of leaving the Island when you want. There is usually a large group that meets around noon on Catawba to paddle over, but if you're not comfortable with the distance or what could be rough conditions I'd probably not take this option. If it's super calm on the way home on Sunday, there is usually another group or several that paddle back to the mainland. Maybe your confidence will be up after a long paddle weekend.

2. Drive on the Ferry with your car, boat and gear. You have an additional expense, but you have the luxury of bringing anything and everything you want and you have a vehicle on the island. Having a vehicle isn't necessary, but it's a convenience. There are shuttles that go between the state park and downtown. Only drawback is leaving the island. You have to get in line pretty early to leave if you want to be on a particular ferry (time). Just make sure you're ready to go early. If it doesn't matter when you leave, just know you may wait a while, bring a book and the ferry's are working overtime to get people and cars off the island. Some car/boaters just stay until Monday and you can pretty much get on any ferry you want.

3. Carry your boat and gear on the ferry. Some just walk on with their boat and a set of wheels. The expense is less and you can get on any ferry you want. I can help arrange for someone to swing over to the ferry dock to pick you up (PM me and we can exchange info). The walk is longer than you probably want to tackle even if you have wheels. Leaving the island is easier because you can just walk back on and not wait in line with your car. By the end of the weekend you'll find or get to know someone who would be more than glad to drop you back off.

4. I know some who have walked on the ferry with their gear and then loaded up and paddled around the point from the island ferry dock. Stick to the shore and you'll have about a mile paddle to the west and around the PIB lighthouse and then up the coast to the State Park. You'd land and carry your gear to your camp site like most. You also don't need to carry your boat to your site, many just leave them on the beach. In 10 yrs we've never had a problem.

Misc. I've even seen some boaters rig their boat to their bike and pedal over from the ferry. Takes some extra ingenuity, but a set of kayak wheels can take you far.

Post more questions here and check out our official site, lots of info and check out the 10th anniversary poly t-shirts.

http://www.sbikayakrendezvous.com/

Guess I waited to long
I just checked the campsite and it says no available sites for tent camping . The bed and breakfast at $195 a night is out. Oh well.

1st timer
I am coming for the first time to this event, from Canada.

I will probably arrive on Friday morning with my car if anyone needs a lift over, Ill drive to Monroe area on Thurs night.

I will probably stay till Monday morning. I guess I best look at booking a site for sunday night, I am sharing a site for the fri and Saturday night.

Any suggestions for a newbie? I am looking forward to this!!!

Ali

Welcome
Ali,

Welcome we love visitors from the north. How far north if you’re making it as far as Monroe? If you make it to Monroe, Catawba Island is a little more of an hour away?

Check out the website for the basic agenda and you’ll see boats going in all directions each day. The pot luck is the main gathering point and social activity, but you’ll make friends for life over the weekend. We eat, paddle, eat, paddle. etc.

Post questions here or email me,

Eric,

organizer. Site #109

P.S. if you want to order a shirt see the shirt page on the website. I prefer pre orders and will only have a few extras.

From north
Hey i am coming from Hamilton ontario. I had been thinking of camping in sandusky, but after ur message realize that is driving by the ferry! I hope to do some good paddling but with out winter i may be way outta shape! I really have no concept how far in open water i have gone lol, i can paddle my way surely but sometimes slowly in a head wind lol

I would like a t shirt, do u have more info on sizing? Shoulder width seam to seam? Torso width? I could be a sm,med or large depending on if mens or womens sizing and even then it varies lol. Maybe ill take 3 one of each size lol.

Info.
Yes, if you make it to Sandusky you’ve gone too far. There are plenty of campgrounds in the Port Clinton and Catawaba area if you wanted to camp the night before going to the island. I googled “campgrounds Catawaba Island” and there are a bunch on the mainland.

The beauty of this event is that you can paddle 4 miles or you can paddle 40. We will link 4-5 islands and do a 20 mile day or you can simply paddle to the harbor and back to camp for an 8 mile jog. Or you can circumnavigate our home island for a 12 mile day. There is no pressure to pile on any more miles than your body will allow. See my post above about your ferry or paddling options.

If you paddle over from the little beach near the Miller Ferry it is a 3 mile crossing and then another mile up the shore to the State Park. Most Island crossings are 1-4 miles apart.

I wish I could tell you specific dimenions on the shirt. I do order some extras for sale on the island, but they go quickly. If you want a medium and it’s too big or small find me early and you’ll be able to exchange.

I wish I could do men’s and women’s shirts but I get a discount for quanity ordering and the discount kicks in at around 40 shirts. If I split the kind of shirt then the cost goes up dramatically. From previous years smallish women are very happy in the small size shirts and I’ve never had a guy complain about his XXL.

I’m assuming you’ve seen the shirt page on the website. Just email.PM me your name and shirt size, email and I’ll add you to the list. I’ll also have your email for future communication.

Eric

LOL I was just looking at sites and was wondering who was on 114 as they are there Thurs-Sun I am hoping to be there for that long to.

is it worth the walk into those sites? Ill be moving around all weekend poss. LOL

lots open
Hey I was just on the site, you probably did what I did on my first 2 looks, you forgot to switch from full hook up to non electrical

lots in non electrical for all week! non with power! LOL no luxury …

Sites
If you haven’t been to SBI State Park the from site 35 north to site 101 you are on a cliff overlooking the lake. From site #35 to the south the island levels off to the beach area and boat ramp.

The sites towards the back of the park to the east where the road “Y’s” is up another short hill. You can walk your gear up to your site and there are several cut throughts. Most leave their boats on the grassy bluff above the beach. On the map it is labeled “stone beach.” In 9 years we’ve never had a problem. Some bring wheels and pull their kayaks to their sites.

Yes I made a mistake

– Last Updated: Apr-24-14 11:56 PM EST –

Yes I didn't see how there was the option for hookup and non hookups. So yes there are lots of sites still available. It will be my first time there. looking forward to kayak this end of lake Erie. Being from Buffalo NY I have done a lot of the east end of the lake.20 miles a day sounds good to me, I will sleep well then.

That smells like me…
…I snagged 114 and added on the extra day in case I didn’t feel like leaving on Sunday. This will be my second coming:)

Looking forward to seeing Eric et al.

Byron

135, 109, 114
Hey do you know who is on the other sites near you? Are they people your coming with?

Im just sorting out my Thursday and sunday nites and just trying to not be in middle of no where alone.

I was able to get on sharing for site 25 Friday and Saturday night.

135 I see there are sites down there with people all weekend, 114 you have someone there thurs on 115 but only you down there if you stay sunday night

then I could just take erics 109 for the thurs and sunday, it must be a nice site LOL…

decisions.

I have a car so need the parking spot :slight_smile:

Ali