Old Town help

-- Last Updated: Feb-03-14 5:52 PM EST --

I'm looking at Old Town Sarance 147 and Old Town Rogue River. I'm planning in the further to attach a 2.5 horse power. My concern how would the Rogue River handle paddling vs Sarance. Reason for my motor is my wife's shoulders are going, just cruising the river and I don't want a john boat. I'll be using the canoe in the Broad River in SC.

Pardon, is “Rogue River” an Old Town?
I know the Saranac 16 and 14 are Old Town, but I’ve seen Rogue River canoes on our local river, and they were not labeled Old Town. Maybe just on the same showroom floor? But then canoe makers will copy almost any name.

The little I know of about the SC Broad is that it is a mixture of flat water and occasional rocky shoals. Where would you be putting on the water? Down toward Columbia, or up near the NC border?

On motors, it’s best to get the lightest available consistent with good reliability. A 2.5 hp might be heavy. You could also consider using a double bladed paddle in the stern and leaving the motor at home unless it’s windy. Also, check out the lakes in the area. Some may have back arms where power boats aren’t destroying the tranquility.

boat

– Last Updated: Feb-03-14 5:53 PM EST –

Near NC boarder, there is a combination of shoals and back water. Do the side motor mounts work? The Rogue River is a flat stern made by Old Town Canoe.

With a light motor, side mounts work
well enough. In fact, if you’re seated well back in a conventional canoe, the side mount puts the motor control lever to one side where it’s convenient for your arm. With a square back, I recall seeing trick levers that put control where it suits you.

You’re right about the Rogue River. The lower Rogue River in Oregon might be suitable for a canoe with a motor. Two things I’ll point out. First, the gunwale width at the center is 44", which means that solo paddling in the center is difficult, even for short periods. You can paddle it from the stern seat, where the boat is narrower. It could be paddled tandem, and being narrower at the waterline (37" max), it would not be a hopeless slug.

The hull appears tolerably well-designed, shallow arch and flared for safe secondary stability. Probably you could stand up to cast and feel secure. It might even be possible to pole the boat standing, in shallow waters.

My other concern is the weight, 118 pounds. If you trailer it and ramp launch as if it were a jon boat, no problem. But loading on a roof rack is not an attractive option.

Note that the Saranacs are lightweights. They’re heavier than average tandems, though lighter than the Rogue River.

You might want to go to the Wenonah website and look at their fishing canoes. They’re very light, and as fishing canoes, are designed to be stable. I believe they have something to say about motor use, also. Wenonahs in Tufweave are wonderfully durable and might fill your needs with less strain on your back.

as g2d said , the flat stern is HEAVY …

– Last Updated: Feb-04-14 1:05 PM EST –

..... even the Saranac is heavy (79 lbs.) for a 14'-6" canoe , especially one with such a low profile . It's a frigin joke , but that's what you get with single layer canoe construction , heavy and inferior construction . With single layer polyethylene models , Old Town is trying to compete with the other bottom end canoe makers in the market .

The Rouge River at 15'-4.5" weighing 118 lbs. is just plain HEAVY . But in general that's what's expected for wide flat back targeted at the fishing crowd , but still 118 lb. for 15'-4" is very HEAVY per inch I think .

Our Old Town Expedition 16'-9" weighs 83 lbs. , although the new 169 Discovery says 91 lbs. on the OT site . Why the new 169's weigh more now , I don't know ??

Both the Rouge River and the Saranac are single layer polyethylene .

Canoes like the 169 are 3 layer linear polyethylene .

My question to you is , how are you planning on moving your canoe around , picking it up , hauling it how , doing this by yourself ??

I can manage the 169 at 83 lbs. by myself , but it's still too heavy to move around solo on any regular basis , or even up a short hill , ramp etc. . Normally my wife helps move it around because we canoe together as Tandem . What you get with the 169's 83 lbs. is a much larger canoe and 3 layer linear construction .

I wouldn't be happy with considerably more weight for a considerably smaller canoe , and a single layer ploy boat at that . I don't think you will be either .

If the motor is going to be the regular thing for you , get the flat back , but get a trailer too . Your wife's shoulders aren't going to want to help you lug a 118+ lb. canoe around . She won't even want to pick up a 79 lb. Saranac , and if it causes her pain , don't even ask her to .

family guide
I was able to locate a Old Town Family Guide 147, this should be pretty easy for her paddle and portage. I haven’t canoe the Broad River, it labeled as a beginner river and if needed I could attach a side motor mount.