Gearlab paddles

Give us a link, so we can take a look
at them. There’s so many paddle makers that you may not find someone on pnet that’s used a particular one, but we know the principles of paddle design and construction.

Gearlab paddles
Here.s the link http//www.store.gearlab.com.tw thanks for any help.

One concern I had was …
With the push-button ferulle - these usually wobble. However, they seem to have an updated design in their current version that has some sort of a T, which supposedly removes the wobble between the two halves.

There was a recent thread on these paddles here - did you find it?

interesting
I had one of their GPs a few years ago. As a standard button ferrule, it did wobble a bit. I found the shoulders too close together, so, had to trade it away. I noticed from their specs that the loom length did not grow proportionately with the overall paddle length, and wondered if many taller users might find the looms too short. I thought the blade shapes and finish were good. (All this from an occasional GP user. I like the concept, but have not found the right paddle. No other GPers around my area.)

Hmm, my Werner Camano with its
push button ferrule doesn’t wobble. I had to carefully sand the male end with 400 paper after the ferrule refused to release.

Maybe makers are selling slightly loose ferrules so they don’t get calls about non-release.

review.
I wrote this review last year, http://qajaqrolls.com/2013/04/gearlab-oyashio-composite-greenland-paddle.html

I have loaned these paddles to numerous people who have enjoyed using them.

In response to Gearlab question. I recently bought Gearlabs new Nuka standard paddle. $200. I’m an old, short, fat guy who is obsessed with kayaking and self (and internet)-taught. I paddle a Wilderness Tempest or Zephyr regularly and have amassed a collection of kayaks and paddles. I was intrigued with Greenlands and after tons of research, sprang for a Nuka. It is a work of ART! Gorgeous in sleek simplicity. Tight and perfect joint. Perfect shape for my hands. I had read the learning curve is great but I found that to be quite untrue. It is different, for sure, but totally intuitive. Suits my style well. I paddle fairly high angle and prefer a faster cadence same as bicycle. It is like going down one gear on a bike. You paddle a tiny bit faster but there is MUCH less strain. If I dip deep and flat, I still feel good pressure against the blade but can adjust by slightly angling. It is the only paddle that I can use silently. This paddle comes without plastic tips so, of course, the first thing I did when showing it off was to drop it end first onto concrete. It had the tiniest of surface dings and I could have cried. I coated the ends with a couple thin layers of Plasti-Dip. So…I love this thing. The only drawback…it’s very wet. Skirt required. (Half skirt works fine.) Next I want an Aukanek.

(Disclaimer: I’m a stocking GearLab retailer, so not without bias, That being said, I only started stocking them because I liked the one I bought as a personal paddle so much that I wanted them in the shop.)

I have a Nukilik that I’ve been using as one of my go-to sticks for a year now, and have no issues at all with wobble in the ferule. Mine weighs a little more than my hand carved cedar GPs, but being 2 pc, it’s much easier to carry on the deck if I’m wanting to switch between Greenland and Euro paddles. Most of my paddling is on Lake Michigan in fairly heavily trafficked areas, so having the brightly colored blades is an advantage, particularly if I’m out in early or late light. If someone’s in the Chicago area, we have Nukiliks, Akiaks, and the new Aukaneck available for demos - just hit me up via PM if you’re interested in more info or wanted to schedule some on the water or pool time with a paddle.

@shwurr said:
The only drawback…it’s very wet. Skirt required. (Half skirt works fine.) Next I want an Aukanek.

I make the functional equivalent of a drip ring by tying a handsome Turk’s Head knot around each blade leaving the ends of the cord ‘loose’ to drain water. They are not really loose since I whip them together. It interferes only slightly with a slide stroke. It’s still not completely dry, but helps my hands stay dry.

Tying rope or thin fabric rags around the paddles like rsevenic explains is what the Unuit often do – the “Polar World” exhibit at Carnegie Museum of Natural History in Pittsburgh has several skin qajaqs and native paddles in the displays and they all have the drip deflector wraps.

Since I got my long hair bobbed shorter last year I repurposed my stretch knit and terrycloth pony-tail “scrunchies” for this purpose on my GP’s. It does help quite a bit.

@chicago_paddler said:
Mine weighs a little more than my hand carved cedar GPs

Say that again? It’s heavier?? Are these not carbon fibre? I was considering a future purchase largely for a weight savings, but now I might have to consider it only on the merits of being two piece.

My Nukilik 215 is 30 ounces, my primary hand carved cedar GP is 27 ounces. As I said, “a little” heavier. The reason to get the carbon isn’t so much weight in this case as it is durability - I’d trust the Gearlab not to break in a bad situation more than I would any other carbon paddle I own.

Good suggestions. I thought of stealing some drip protectors off an old paddle but really love the smooth, clean unfettered blade. Also I use most of the length at times so the drip ring would be underwater a lot. LOVE this paddle. I think part of what makes it feel so light is that the weight of the blade is not all concentrated at the end. As per the separation joint…it’s perfect. No tightening clamp needed. The button and seam is flush and perfect. Almost invisible. Zero play. It may not be as tough as the more expensive replaceable tip models but to my eye, it is even prettier. I’m proud to own it.

This discussion tempted me to look more closely at the Gearlabs. I got a Northern Lights 3 piece carbon GP a few years ago so I could travel with it – I love my one-piece cedar GP but it’s not practical to take on an airline with my folding kayaks.

But I’ve never really warmed to the Northern Lights because it isn’t the same style as my cedar, which is unshouldered, rounded tipped and 213 cm. Though it’s a nice paddle. I’ve found I don’t care for the shoulders, longer length (220) and squared tip.

Checking them out, the Gearlabs are not only beautiful, but the two-piece Nukilik has the same characteristics as my cedar paddle. Then I saw they are discounting the red and black ones 15% right now. I just bought my Christmas present! Might have to break out the dry suit when it gets here and give it a go.

Now to sell the Northern Lights paddle…

@Sparky961 said:

@chicago_paddler said:
Mine weighs a little more than my hand carved cedar GPs

Say that again? It’s heavier?? Are these not carbon fibre? I was considering a future purchase largely for a weight savings, but now I might have to consider it only on the merits of being two piece.

Gearlabs paddles are NOT lighter that a nice light wood paddles. Hence my reason for never buying one. You want lighter Get a Superior Greenland. My 2 piece paddle is 22 ounces. I know of no lighter weight Greenland. I see they are now saying 23 ounces. Mine is 22 ounces. NOT cheap But mine is now 4 seasons old. Used in heavy surf action.

http://www.superiorkayaks.com/superiorkayaks2017store_007.htm#!/Greenland-Paddle-Carbon-Fiber-Two-Piece/p/79864158/category=0

Gearlabs paddles are NOT lighter that a nice light wood paddles. Hence my reason for never buying one. You want lighter Get a Superior Greenland. My 2 piece paddle is 22 ounces. I know of no lighter weight Greenland. I see they are now saying 23 ounces. Mine is 22 ounces. NOT cheap But mine is now 4 seasons old. Used in heavy surf action.

The lighter of my Lumpy WRC GP’s weighs 22.5 oz. The heavier is only about an oz heavier. I specifically asked to start with a light blank and waited till Bill Bremer found one.

I also have 2 Novorca carbon GP’s weighing 24.5 and 26.9 oz respectively.

If I had to choose one favorite, these small differences in weight would not be a factor.

@dc9mm said:

Used in heavy surf action.

this brings up a question I’ve thought about for a while
I’ve broken at least 2 carbon paddles in surf. (Euro)
I’ve always wondered if the greenland paddle is less prone to the forces of the water. The ‘wide’ euro blades seem to ‘catch’ the water pressure better.
(note: all times I’ve broken paddles has been while upside down, in the turbulence)

Since GP’s “catch” the water along a more vertically distributed surface the blade doesn’t have the severe levering effect that would tend to torque off a large Euro blade at the shaft. GP’s are easier to use above the surface in windy conditions for that reason as well.

I’m selling a 220 cm carbon Northern Lights GP if you are interested in one. It’s a 3-piece so the connections reinforce the shaft at the ends of the loom if you are concerned about breakage. Ad posted in the classifieds on here.

@gjf12 said:

The lighter of my Lumpy WRC GP’s weighs 22.5 oz. The heavier is only about an oz heavier. I specifically asked to start with a light blank and waited till Bill Bremer found one.

If I had to choose one favorite, these small differences in weight would not be a factor.

Wow thats light for a wood paddle, did you pay extra for that? Is that a full size, how wide at the tips. Superiors are 3.5 inch wide at the tips. I have seen a few lighter wood ones but they were real narrow at the tips, like around 2.8 inches. Less wood lighter of course.
Most of the wood paddles I have or have seen are in the 28 to 32 ounce range. I had a Novacor near the end of that company and mine weighed in at 30 ounces. plus it had problems (loose Joint) lucky I got my money back before they went under.

@dc9mm said:

@gjf12 said:

Wow thats light for a wood paddle, did you pay extra for that? Is that a full size, how wide at the tips. Superiors are 3.5 inch wide at the tips. I have seen a few lighter wood ones but they were real narrow at the tips, like around 2.8 inches. Less wood lighter of course.
Most of the wood paddles I have or have seen are in the 28 to 32 ounce range. I had a Novacor near the end of that company and mine weighed in at 30 ounces. plus it had problems (loose Joint) lucky I got my money back before they went under.

My WRC Lumpy weighs three ounces more than my Werner Cyprus - so, about 23 ounces. It’s 84" long, 20" loom and 3.5" blade.

That was a facet of Bill’s artistry: he carved beautiful paddles which were also light. I use past tense because Lumpy Paddles stopped doing business not long ago.