Zoik Inflatable kayaks??

I’ve been looking at getting a tandem inflatable and have come across this boat that looks awesome and versatile for a good price. Was comparing this to the Innova Sunny, and this looks like a better buy but can’t find much info online about Zoik or the Zoik Alterego II.

http://www.zoikinflatables.com/alteregotandem.html

Anybody have experience with these guys?

Thanks!

I don’t think you should be comparing
that craft to the Innova Sunny. In purpose and design, that Zoik looks more like certain models in the Aire line.

Can’t tell that much, but as a lake and smooth river cruiser it may have good margin. Saw the photo of the two adults in whitewater, but I think the tubes may be a bit small, and the craft low in the sides, compared to Aire whitewater craft. It will have more margin if used solo.

Also, be aware that the money you save on an inflatable has to be corrected for the cost of drysuits and insulation, unless you use it only in Oregon summers.

That skeg mount sticks out too much for my taste, but maybe I don’t grasp how it attaches. Anyway, it appears to be a serious inflatable, not just a pool toy.

Of zounds and zoiks!

– Last Updated: Mar-12-14 10:45 AM EST –

I've owned five IKs, from a high-end Aire Force and custom-made Thrillseekers, to lower-end Sea Eagle and Sevylors...My use for them is running very pushy Class III-IV flashy creeks near my home.

http://s1296.photobucket.com/user/spiritboat/slideshow/Catskill%20Creek?sort=3

For Class I-II and light-III stuff, I use my small poly ww yaks or a canoe. For kayak touring/coastal cruising/solo tripping, I use a 16' hardshell boat.
--So I like to think I know what might constitute versatility in most paddle boats...And although I've never owned a "Zoik" I believe that judging by it's specs, my experience qualifies me to hold forth somewhat on it's abilities(or lack there of.)

Firstly, from what I know, Zoiks are made of good tough quality PVC(not environmentally friendly, but PVC saves your bacon in the rough stuff, and will take incredible abuse without fear of puncture.) Zoiks also have a very good reputation in whitewater livery use out west. The particular model you're interested in, IMHO, is better suited for whitewater than for touring(where I can assure you, it won't hold a candle to a straight-cruising Innova Sunny). Especially if your main intention is paddling tandem with a partner.

There are a lot of boats with the same or similiar specs on the market, in roughly the same price range: The Sea Eagles, Saturn 12s,the Advanced Element Straightedge, and the new Aquaglide kayaks(good prices!)to name a few...They're all roughly 12 and a half feet, 37 inches wide, self-bailing. If you're main interest is not logging lots of flatwater miles, and you like to carry a good deal of camping stuff, then any one of them will work out just fine as a floating recreational couch--I've used mine as a very comfy air mattress with a tarp roof pitched overhead. Again, this type and size of boat is better(but not particularly faster)for whitewater paddling over distance touring. But as mentioned above by g2d, it's skeg attachment can pose a hazard: You can get snagged going over rocks. And if that happens while paddling with your sweetheart on a high rushing stream, the boat will fill up with water, and even with self-bailing holes won't empty quick enough for comfort(--Then no num-nums for you in the tent tonight by golly;-)

So first, decide what your primary use for such a boat would be: Recreational touring or whitewater? A little bit of both you say? Well, yes, it's versatile enough for that. But not being really dedicated to either, over time you'll discover the craft's shortcomings. No matter how good the quality it is made from...But then again, every boat is...a compromise.

Good luck with your decision.

Here's me in an older SE 380--Same size & specs as the Zoik you are interested in, but probably ten pounds heavier(the boat, not me).

http://plus.google.com/photos/106337691803192614259/albums/5918454837234697793/5918458147188547698?banner=pwa&authkey=CI62kt3OkISJxwE&pid=5918458147188547698&oid=106337691803192614259

if I were buying the zoik
I’d keep my flatwater paddling very short in the mileage department and would use it primarily on “float” streams where good current or class II and III exist. I like duckies- I own three- but I like current when I use them. The type of seat/thwart is very important- otherwise you can feel like your doing some kinda of extreme stomach exercises when you paddle. For many, duckies are glorified innertubes- and I consider that a good thing- time to relax and float.

No perfect solution
Thanks for the input. Yeah, probably mostly floating class II-III. But living in Portland makes me want something I could paddle on the willamette river as well with a weak current and occasional wind.

I guess there is no such thing as the ONE perfect boat, right?