Kayak suggestions for big guys

Same problem with Delta
32.5" cockpit will be too small for the OP, especially if his knees have limited range of motion.

Price range?
If price is no object check the Eddyline Denali.

http://www.eddyline.com/kayak-models/denali

The 14.5" depth at the front of the cockpit should allow you to get your knee out easily.

Kayak

– Last Updated: Mar-12-14 11:09 PM EST –

One of my kayaks is an Emotion AdvantEdge -12.5 for length. It has a good size cockpit and has some nice features. Would be a good starting out kayak and they are reasonable in price.

CD Solara 135

Budget

– Last Updated: Mar-13-14 11:00 AM EST –

If the budget doesn't have a ceiling then the Valley Etain 177.

A Venture Islay has worked well for linebacker builds.

I'll have to let you know of the Venture Jura once they get here. The new Skudder System on it should be interesting.

See you on the water,
Marshall
The River Connection, Inc.
Hyde Park, NY
www.the-river-connection.com
hudsonriverpaddler.org

Big Guy Boat
I was a big guy; at nearly 280 on a 5’10 frame, I qualify. I too went through the “big guy boat search” looking for a cockpit that I could get into and out of with out struggling. I bought a Wilderness Systems Tempest 180 Pro and love it. http://www.wildernesssystems.com/product/index/products/expedition/sea_kayak_tempest/tempest_180pro_seakayak/

I use it on lakes, flat rivers and occasionally Monterey Bay when it’s calm, and multi-day camping. The boat has good maneuverability. It was my first boat so it works for beginners and it will work for much more advanced paddlers. IT JUST SO HAPPENS I recently lost 80 pounds and the boat is now to big. I am in the SF Bay area and would sell the boat to finance something smaller. $1700 with skirt.

If you like woodworkng
a Chesapeake Light Craft Chesapeake 18 has the capacity you are looking for.

If yo buy one, just be sure to order your kit with the optional larger cockpit because the standard cockpit is the same one they use on the smaller Chesapeake models and it would be a tight squeeze for anyone who is over 6’ and weighs over 200lbs to fit in that thing.

Take the time to rent
It really depends on how you carry your weight as to what fits and what doesn’t. Each of us will have our preferences regarding how tight we like the outfitting but the proper hull volume is what matters. You need to go rent and see for yourself as to what fits and what doesn’t. There are boats on this thread being mentioned as too small for you that I find too big myself.

I should add that I’m still looking for that “right” boat. Hopefully I’ll find it next week…

new eddyline denali
I never do this (post w/o reading thread), but I’m going to do it now because I’m in a big hurry – so forgive me if this has already been said or if it is irrelevant.

http://www.eddyline.com/kayak-models/denali

might consider Verlen Kruger boat
Kruger Seawind or Eddyline Shasta, both provide easy in and out, good speed, with tremendous flexibility and adaptation.

Swifts Kiwassa 14
Swift has a new, wider transitional kayak with XLg hatch just for your situation, the Kiwassa, 14.

Swifts Kiwassa 14
Swift has a new, wider transitional kayak with XLg hatch just for your situation, the Kiwassa, 14.

Big guy boat suggestion
I’m about 6’2" and around 250 lbs. I checked out the Current Designs Kestrel 120 X. Built for the bigger paddler in mind, it has a large roomy cockpit, comfortable seat and a wide beam at 28". The Kesrel also has 2 storage hatches for overnight trips. I love paddling in this boat because it is very stable and streight tracking. I’ve had this boat for awhile and it has taken me in my skills from a nervous novice paddler to a confident kayaker. Hope this helps.

Pungo 140
Pungo 140. Large cockpit a good paddling boat. It we the fastest of the plastic yaks I had owned. It is a little hard to turn. I used mine for flat water fishing and it was my favorite. I’m 6’ 275# and it handled me fine. I don’t th ink you could pack for a weeks trip in it but should do ok for a weekend if you watch your gear weight.

Thanks
I think I’ve pretty much narrowed it down to a Pungo 120 or 140. I haven’t had the chance to sit in the 140 yet, but have been in the 120. The new 140s have the double bulkhead which will probably be the option that makes the decision. Thanks for the input.

Friends who have the Pungo 120…
Unfortunately for these guys every time they get a checkup, I suspect their weight is not far off of yours. But they are carrying it on a shorter frame. Having seen how they fit into the Pungo 120, I suspect you want to spend time sitting in the 140.

I did this 2 years ago
I went at this from a different angle… what was available and cheap (I’m not going to sink $2k+ into something I’m trying out). In my case, I found a pair (wife and I), and I’m in a Dagger Blackwater 10.5. Now, it has a “maximum” load of 235 and I was 245~255 all last summer, not counting the overnight camping gear on the 3 multi-day trips we took.

I didn’t have one single issue. Or, if I did, I don’t know it at this point. Yes, it’s slow. Yes, I can swamp myself easily when not using a spray skirt and not being careful. But I’ve had a lot of fun on what was essentially a $350 boat (and knowing that I can easily get my money back at any time, probably plus some).

I like it, the limiting factor is simply my willingness to drive the hundreds of miles to Get to water I want to paddle. So I’ve been watching for something longer (I like speed), and hopefully more comfortable for my size 13 feet and 34" inseam. Maybe if I find something I enjoy paddling more, I’ll invest the boring transit time.

Good luck!

re big man yakay
test out the new ocean kayak big game proweler, u will love the stability and weight capibility,down size, its a heavy kayay to transport, good luck

I agree kestrel 120x has a HUGE cockpit.
And if you can still find it in a hybrid version(fiberglass generic kevlar mix)its an excellent boat!

Try a Tarpon 160

– Last Updated: Apr-10-14 4:59 PM EST –

It works well as a big guy SOT. It's heavy, of course, as most poly SOTs are, but it will ride you comfortably, be easy to get on and exit, and is relatively fast considering it is a poly SOT.

My main kayak (I do mostly seakayaking) is an Eddyline Nighthawk 175, about as fine a *true* big guy boat extant. Their cockpit fits someone your, and my, size well. They dropped the NH175 last year. The Denali is their replacement. But they are expensive boats.

Another boat you might like is Eddyline's Sandpiper. It has been in their lineup a long time. It is a short little rec boat with a big, big cockpit, made of carbonlite so it is light, and can actually carry 350#. A friend has one, I've paddled it a few times, and besides finding that I have to roll out on my knees to get out of it, and the fact that it is short so does not really track and glide too well, is a fun little rec boat for a bigger person. But not exactly the best if you want to do an overnighter carrying camping gear, more of a day rec boat. It's also relatively expensive for what it is, but sure is nice and light if that's a big consideration, a little "big" boat if there ever was one.

Others proclaim "big guy" boat, but their cockpits are shrimpboat sized, and don't let anyone who doesn't wear at least a size 52 Tall or larger suit try to tell you otherwise (suit size is a better indicator than weight/height numbers as a better indicator of build).

For general purpose kayaking like you propose, the Tarpon 160 will probably suit you as well as anything out there, and is not highly expensive.