New Kayak for Allagash River

not seeing that as a deciding factor
for the OP’s desire overall for “something faster, good storage space and comfortable seat”, even if he takes the same trip. various other 15-16’ kayaks and canoes (including his friend’s Old Town Nantucket) have made it down those rapids just fine; I don’t recall them being terribly difficult. He’ll have to assess what types of paddling he intends to undertake in general, and pick a suitable craft.

Okay, I am curious
Do you know the reason for this requirement regarding the ratio of length/width? I wonder if it’s the result of someone’s good intentions run amok, or if it’s totally nonsensical (and oh, maybe there could even be a legitimate reason that I can’t seem to think of).

verdict
so I purchased my new kayak tonight. I decided to go with the tsunami 140.

After sitting in them all. I really did not like the seating of the 160 and thought it was a very shallow cockpit. The backband seemed extremely low for my liking. we will be doing a lot of fishing too so some extra space is nice to have which the 140 offers, plus a much more comfortable seat for my lower back.

I talked to a woman who worked there that said she ran Alot of their kayak day trips that EMS offers and she claims the 160 tsunamis additional length only offered minimal speed gains and the storage hatches were much more shallow.

anyways I’m sure this kayak will by far out perform my Pungo 120 lol

congrats
and enjoy the new boat! sounds like it’s a great choice for what you want to do with it; a mix of river and lake touring, camping and fishing. you could probably add a flush-mount rod holder behind the cockpit if you wanted to. you can get a whole lot of mileage out of a Tsunami, I know I have! add hip pads and learn to edge it some and the turning will become easier.

yes. Tradition
But makes no sense to me. Kayaks on the Allagash are not traditional either

http://www.maine.gov/dacf/parks/park_passes_fees_rules/aww_watercraft.shtml

I don’t see any different impact whether you run the route with a raft or any other hand powered craft.

thanks
thank you. this thread has turned into what’s the traditional way to paddle the allagash…

I appreciate everyone’s inputs on what my actual question here was. sorry to everyone on canoes that will now have trouble sleeping at night knowing there’s a kayak on the allagash.

“Wilderness waterway” ??

– Last Updated: Mar-26-14 8:32 AM EST –

any place that has any restrictions other than the usual no glass and carry everything out that you bring in is not "wilderness to me"
I think after reading this I'll take the Allagash off my bucket list

jack L

lol.
Well done. Pack light and enjoy your Tsunami.

Don’t shoot the Messenger.
NT

Have a great trip!
If you can get the time - try poling up Allagash Stream to Allagash Lake and check out the ice caves.

To each his own.
The Allagash will manage without you. But, you don’t know what you are missing. It is a special and beautiful place.

totally agree

– Last Updated: Mar-26-14 8:57 PM EST –

if you can make a short pole. Its not expected you can stand in your kayak and use an 11 or 12 foot pole.

I plan to do Allagash Lake from Johnson Pond in a pack canoe. Its like a kayak as you sit on the bottom and paddle with a double or a single.

As far as tradition goes its as about you can get for an Adirondack boat ( not an Allagash boat). It'll be a breeze without a cart on the Tramway portage.

JsckL. I don't know if you consider the Everglades a wilderness. The Allagash is wilder. Visitation is a tenth of what it was when it was designated a wilderness waterway. Its got a ton of history too.

Kayaks on the Allagash
It is true that only “canoes” are allowed on the Allagash. They go by an old definition for a canoe which states that the width of the vessel must not be greater than 25% of the length. A Pungo 120 does fails with this criteria. I remember warning a kayaker of this when we saw her on Eagle Lake with a wide, short kayak. Her kayak remained in the storage rack at Churchill dam where the ranger would not let her proceed down the river with it. While this rule may be antiquated and originally designed to keep rafters destined for day trips down Chase Rapids away it was still in effect just a few years ago when I was there last.

Allagash Lake
Best to avoid the weeks immediately after ice out if your are seeking solitude. It is very popular with the fishing crowd. I went in from Johnson Pond once and that is an easy way to get there. But the “best” way might be to pole up from Chamberlain and spend a night at the falls on Allagash Stream. Just a thought.

As I live in the woods
at the end of a camp road, solitude is everyday. I don’t mind company.

And I plan to go in June…I will have plenty of six legged company.

Why June? Moose.

Bring your ear plugs.

– Last Updated: Mar-28-14 7:15 AM EST –

If you are there during the height of fishing season you may encounter drunk middle aged men up all night pretending that they are fishing. Its an awful long drive in there to find yourself next to that.

its not a long drive for me
3 hours. If I don’t like what I find its easy enough to go to another lake.

Actually -
Johnson Pond is very pretty - and quiet. Everyone heads down the stream to the lake and you can have the spot all to yourself at night.

Allagash
The first time we paddled the Allagash I was the odd man out and paddled a 145 OT Loon, Since then I’ve bought 2 160 Cayuga that my SD uses in both high and low water trips.

The Allagash has no more claim to being a ‘Canoe’ river then any other. It’s a recreation area and as long as your craft meets the length/width guidelines its good to go. Having said that I would not paddle it again in a kayak, I prefer a canoe, even when solo. It’s a load thing.

What just occurred to me
now (duh) is the words New and Allagash

Hmmm. At levels below 1000 CFS your new will look USED within two miles.

Below 800, very used…

You might want to think about buying used and not letting the rocks depreciate a new boat value.