Looking for the weight of a canoe

The canoe is an aluminum one

The canoe was made by Richland Manufacturing Company out of Richland, Missouri. They had a line of boats called Richline Most of their boats were made around the 60’s. The model number on the canoe is 17C. The serial number on the boat: RCHR1166M73D.

I am particularly interested in the weight

Jack L

Scale?
The inaccuracy of any scale you use will pale into insignificance when compared to published weights from the 60s if any can be found.

canoe weight/weighing canoe/HID

– Last Updated: Mar-29-14 8:36 PM EST –

What Charlie says!!

I have weighted over 75 canoes and kayaks at gatherings, using at various times an antique balance arm scale from the meat packing industry, a hanging digital scale and a digital bathroom scale. Never found anything that weighed less than factory numbers, while most were 2-10 lbs heavier. (This generalization doesn't apply to my Placid Boatworks Rapidfire as I increased its weight by trim changes).

A digital bathroom scale will give a close reading, but it is very hard to hold a long canoe/kayak steady while standing on a scale that is also moving slightly. Holder has to stand straight and steady so a second person is needed to read the scale. Much easier to use a hanging digital scale.

The HIN starts with a unique code for the manufacturer and has other information that is meaningless to most owners. The last two numbers are important, giving the year of construction. So, this canoe was made in 1973.

Dave

One-person use of bathroom scale

– Last Updated: Mar-27-14 8:17 PM EST –

If all you have is a bathroom scale, a much better, and much easier method is a two-step process that does not require you hold the boat off the ground. All you need is a level floor and two blocks of wood. Set the canoe on the two blocks of wood (put the blocks near the ends, but the exact location is not critical, so you can put the blocks inward from the ends enough that each block is on a broader part of the hull than the pointy end), and mark the hull where the blocks are located. Put the scale under one of the blocks of wood and see what the scale says. Now put the scale under the other block of wood and record that reading too. Add the two readings, subtract the weight of the two wood blocks, and that's the weight of the boat. The reason for marking the hull where the blocks are located is to be sure they are in the same spot for both scale readings. It would be easy to accidentally shift their position during the procedure otherwise, and if the block locations aren't the same for both scale readings, the sum of the two scale readings won't equal the true weight of the boat (the greater the change in block location between the two scale readings, the greater the error).

Not sure why you need the weight or
how accurate you need to be. If you are looking for an estimate give us the length, beam and depth and we can estimate pretty darn closely.

Such a guess might not be all that close
Making an estimate based on dimensions might be reasonably close or it might not be, depending on the gauge of the sheet metal and what the framing (ribs, keel, gunwales) is like. For example, look at how much difference in weight there is between a shoe-keeled Grumman and a standard Grumman. There was an even greater weight difference between the old lightweight Grumman (no longer available) and either of the first two models, yet all three were constructed on the same mold and had identical dimensions. Also, compare the weight of any 17-foot Grumman to that of a 17-foot Alumacraft, two boats which are very nearly the same in dimensions but quite different in weight.

all i found

– Last Updated: Mar-27-14 8:43 PM EST –

Was that the richline boats included many types of boats, from jons to houseboats. It was in and out of business and with many owners and names from its inception until the early 90s

My guess, aluminum boat from the 70s, heavy.

My guess
70-80 Lbs.

If I had the canoe, the length,…
the beam, and all the rest of the particulars on hand. I WOULD SIMPLY WEIGH IT MYSELF AND WOULDN’T BE ASKING HERE

Jack L

I am not looking for a guess
I was trying to reach someone that might have the boat and get an accurate figure or close to it

jack L

LOL
This being p.net, I find it hilarious that you asked an intelligent question and expected someone to actually answer it.

I think you should hire a tractor-trailer and have them hit the big boy scales both with and without the boat. Your result should be accurate within a couple hundred pounds.

Right on !
I was going to use a sarcastic remark to a few of the posts above, but figured I would refrain.

Thanks for doing it for me

Jack L

Sleeper canoe for Superaluminum Class?
Jack,

Are you looking at this canoe as a fast sleeper for Super Aluminum Class? Or for something really heavy to punish people who borrow your canoes.

I have never seen one of these or even heard of Richland before and since they went out of business in a time when everything was on paper, there is little information available on this canoe. Is it typical riveted construction or one of the rare welded hulls?

Typical recurved ends or angled stems?

How did you stumble onto this canoe? Is the length and serial number all the info you have?

Your teasing me with this one Jack,

Bill

“A few of the posts” must also …
… include mine, since there were only three posts prior to the one in question. My post was not directed at you, Jack. It was directed at the guy who found weighing a canoe using a bathroom scale to be problematic.

I can’t visualize portaging
something like this with or without wheels bill

jack L

Thanks everyone for trying
Jack L

If I were you
I would take an accurate bathroom scale outside and weigh yourself. Then step off, shoulder the boat as if to portage it, and step back on the scale. The weight you gained with the canoe should be pretty close to the canoe weight.

Please go up and read my reply …
above where someone else suggested that

Jack L

Thank you
for refraining. Shows good judgment.

I picked up the same canoe c-17 and ser#
So with the ser#700011 what year is mine anyone know? Thanks Ralph it vin, states it can have 3 bodys and engine 3.5 hp an carry up to 1000 lbs all together. And it has rivits and 2 seats with its fair share of bumps and bruises whats the value of one thats still sea worthy.Thanks Ralph