Offical10th Annual SBIKR Page-Lake Erie

135, 109, 114
Hey do you know who is on the other sites near you? Are they people your coming with?

Im just sorting out my Thursday and sunday nites and just trying to not be in middle of no where alone.

I was able to get on sharing for site 25 Friday and Saturday night.

135 I see there are sites down there with people all weekend, 114 you have someone there thurs on 115 but only you down there if you stay sunday night

then I could just take erics 109 for the thurs and sunday, it must be a nice site LOL…

decisions.

I have a car so need the parking spot :slight_smile:

Ali

south bass
LOL we should car pool, but Im going on Thursday to Monday…Im coming from Hamilton Ontario LOL

Glad you will be making it now!

tricky site!!!

Awesome
Glad you snagged a site Byron. Meet at noonish at the Miller Ferry Beach?

SBIKR 39 Days Away
Just pasting Eric’s announcement:

The Ice Fishermen just called me and said we can have our lake back. Ice is officially out on the western end of Lake Erie and that means it’s time for the 10th Annual South Bass Island Kayak Rendezvous, June 6-8, 2014.

This year we will be celebrating our 10th anniversary of our gathering, and by all accounts we’ll fill the South Bass Island State Park again. I looked last week and there are still some sites available up in the interior of the park. I’ve had several emails from paddlers saying the park is booked. On the ODNR website, if you select “tent” you also need to select the “non-electric” option on the website and the available sites will appear. If you just click "tent’ and not the electric option, it will look like the park is booked solid. For those who nab one of those sites, you can leave your boats on the grassy bluff above the beach and nobody will bother it.

I am also usually the hub for people wanting to unload campsites, wanting to share campsites or for people needing to connect paddlers together. So far we have not had any “confirmed” axe murderers at our event, so any connections I’ve passed along have worked out well. If you fit into any of the categories above, email me and I’ll keep a running list and connect people who are looking to share, unload or need sites.

We may also have a record number of SBIKR t-shirts this year, keep those orders coming and wear your shirts proud. “Hey regular attendees, get off your butts and send me your orders!” It’s becoming quite a tradition to have some of the coolest t-shirt designs on the great lakes. Email me your size and number of shirts. See the t-shirt page on the official website: http://www.sbikayakrendezvous.com/T-Shirts.html

Our Pot Luck is also a feature activity at our event. We have the park shelterhouse reserved for our group. The amazing spread that all of you produce rivals anything put out by Wolfgang Puck or Emeril. I will have at least two grills available and we can burn some meat together. There is a fairly well equiped grocery on the island for last minute vittles.

Miscellaneous: The lake is apt to be cooler this year, so bring your cold weather gear. I am also working on getting a represenative from the national park service to come to our pot luck to talk about the proposed Lake Erie Water Trail. Check out the website for additional event info and agendas. If camping isn’t your thing and want to attend Ashley’s Island House would love to pamper you at their bed and breakfast.

See you on the water,

Eric Slough

aka: emanoh

site #109

Meet you at high noon…
… I don’t think it’s nice, you laughin’ at my kayak. You see, my kayak don’t like people laughin’. Gets the crazy idea you’re laughin’ at it. Now if you apologize like I know you’re going to, I might convince it that you really didn’t mean it…

…oops, must be having a 60s flash back to some spaghetti western that I saw while under the influence.

Anyhow looks likely to be the season of the drysuit:)

Thanks!
What Suirnam said… :slight_smile:

I also have two updates. Vicky at Kayak the Bay said she has rentals if anyone needs a buddy kayak. http://www.kayakthebay.net/kayak-bay-ltd-home/#

Vicky also said that there is an eagle roosting again in the small pond in the northwestern corner of the PIB harbor. Many people don’t knoow this little pond is there, but you duck under a bridge and then it opens up into a 1 or 2 acre pond-like area. It’s mostly lilly pads, but people are being encouraged to not paddle back into the pond, thus disturbing the nesting eagle. You can see the nest from the harbor, but please keep your distance.

Emanoh, site #109.

High Noon
Funny, very funny.

If the waves are too big, just remember this one from the Outlaw Josey Wales.

“Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you’re not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That’s just the way it is.”

Thurs & sunday camping
I will be arriving via ferry on thurday 2-3 pm, and leaving Monday morning if anyone is wanting to share a site. I will be moving on fri/sat to a shared site.

I can thus be available fri for anyone needing help from the ferry. my plan fri is to check out the wineries and the mine stores for crystals :slight_smile:

Ali

im booked on 116

cant wait, lets get some hot sun to warm up the waters a bit!!!

wet suit tested yesterday!

water temps

– Last Updated: May-06-14 11:40 AM EST –

I paddle east lake Erie a lot, right now water is around 37F. Just checked western lake Erie its in the 50F range. Seems like a big difference. I wonder what the water temps will be come June. Maybe I wont bother with the drysuit but bring my wetsuit instead. I didn't think there would be much difference in water temp from East lake Erie and West Lake Erie. Not a big deal just curious.

Source: http://www.coastwatch.msu.edu/

wetsuit
I will be bringing a wet suit for use to be safe. Better to have then to not.

Guess depends on how far your paddling and the water conditions

Pot luck
So any suggestions for the pot luck?

Im sure with this size of a crowd there is quick the variety.

Lets have some stats, What is the largest number of paddlers over the 10 years :slight_smile:

Ali

crowd
In about year 5 or 6 we had 150. We average about 120. Each year we have our regulars and we pick up some new attendees each year who come for 3-4 yrs and then take a few yrs off.

The pot luck is a mixed bag. We can always use more “main” dish sort of items but lots of salads, dips, deserts. I always have a few small grills and people bring homemade sasuage, burgers, hot dogs, etc. The ethnic stuff seems to go over well.

Rendezvous
Hey all,

I just wanted to say hello my name is Andy and I will be staying at site 113 with a couple of my paddling buddies. I look forward to meeting everyone!

Welcome
Welcome and make sure you make it to the pot luck to meet the gang.

See you on the water.

Eric, Site 109

Thanks Eric
What a great weekend!

thanks for all the hard work you do! Now lets get the numbers up and take over the whole camp site and keep out the partiers LOL

Posted pictures

– Last Updated: Jun-10-14 12:01 PM EST –

I posted pictures from the event here on my webspace.

www.pbase.com/dc9mm/south_bass_island_rendezvous_

Pics
Nice pictures Dan! It was good to meet and paddle with you.

Too bad we didn’t get a chance to get together and compare rolls again. I have been doing those on my own, it would have been fun to have someone that knows what is going on with them there to help critique and share techniques.

db

Next year
Should be there next year so we can do some rolling then. Was a great time. Nice meeting everyone.

Grabbed site 131. Don’t remember what it
is like, but I am looking forward to seeing the SBIKR group again. Thanks for all you do Eric. Bill