How Do I Demo Sea Kayaks?

The last one
I bought I never demoed or test paddled it but I loved the fit and feel of the cockpit. This breaks my cardinal rule of always try before you buy but an opportunity was there and I jumped on it. The price was good on this leftover so I figured I could not lose, now if the wind will just stop blowing so I can take it out for sea trials.

Sensible Alternative
3. Is there a sensible alternative to just renting as many boats as I can find and heading offshore, one at a time?

Yes. Get a kayaker buddy to go with you. Rent two boats at a time. Find a club and go paddle with people. They’ll let you try their boats.

Renting
Unless you can get some serious seat time in the boats your considering I would definitely spend some money and rent one for a day. Especially if it’s a higher end boat >$1500.

Higher end ($1500)?
Don’t we wish?

echo this^
This is a relatively rare opportunity, get to demo a sea kayak in the conditions for which it was designed.

skills & growth
I definitely agree with renting or even some guided rental trips. But one thing that is absolute: your boat desires will change as you gain skills and experience. NO kayaker stays with their first boat forever. Kayaking is just one of those sports where your skills will dictate changes in the things you like or dislike about a kayak. But you have to go from where you are now and there’s no way around that. So get a boat that is easily affordable, has nice stability and seat comfort for you and enjoy the sport. Check out used as well.

An excellent question!
Most people do not know what to look for in a demo. Basically you do several things that you do in your current boat,things that you are comfortable with. Do the same things in all boats you demo, write down your experiences, compare, think a lot, purchase when you can. Try as many boats as you can any time you get an offer. Good luck.

Just remember
From my experience and as mentioned by others you can’t really lose with a used boat. Both of the used boats I have purchased I either made money or only lost $100 after one to two years of use.

Have reasonable expectations
You probably cannot pick the kayak of your dreams on the first try. But most of the major brands will work just fine for now. Ask to try other person’s boats. Go to symposiums and try boats. If you stick to major brands you can sell what you didn’t like and move on.

Thanks a lot
I really appreciate all the replies. This weekend is unfortunately stacked, but next weekend I should be able to get out and start demoing and/or renting boats.

The buddy and group ideas are sensible, but I don’t do sociable well anymore, so I’ll have to stick to the more commercial options for now.

That said, if anyone is looking for company in the Midcoast area…

As I said…
we expect to be there this summer as usual. If you want to connect, email me.

I am not sure what you mean by the buddy and group thing - but the process I recommended is what got us our first good sea kayaks and it worked very, very well. We still have those boats as our old reliables, can take them anywhere and not worry about having to “handle” something the way we do with the more challenging boats.

Pictures
I usually also try to get a picture or two of my waterline for reference. Some boats ride too low, others just right. It’s nice to see a picture after to get an idea how much room I have left for gear. I think your waterline will be a limiting factor depending on how much camping gear you plan to carry.

Thanks
BigandSmall, you give rise to a fairly basic question I’ve never thought to ask.

What would a correct waterline look like, or what sort of a above- to below- waterline ratio should I be looking for?

Celia,
I’m reasonably well educated, but I can be less than articulate at times.

Anyway, I just might drop you a line. Thanks!

above- to below- waterline ratio

– Last Updated: May-09-14 4:47 PM EST –

Don't worry about above to below waterline ratio. Boats are designed with a target load range. Your weight and to some degree height (mostly leg length) matter. Traditionally most sea kayaks are designed for average size male paddlers. If you are significantly larger or smaller than an average adult male you have different appropriate choices. Average size is broadly defined.

Freeboard is windage in a kayak. There is no ideal above (freeboard) to below waterline (draft) ratio. Different design boats have different drafts. How the boat edges, braces, and rolls will tell you if you have too much or too little freeboard.

Of course, any boat has less free board when fully loaded as for camping etc... than when lightly loaded for a day paddle. If you plan to camp or expedition with your kayak you want enough freeboard when lightly loaded to accommodate load without submarining.

We Need a Paddle Town
If you want to gamble… Las Vegas

Live theatre… New York

We need all things paddling in one town. OK, two towns. One on the east coast and one on the west here in the US. I vote Wilmington, North Carolina for the east coast as it’s close to me.

You hear me, manufacturers and retailers? Pick a town and converge. If you build it…

Waterline
I like to see a few inches below the seam, or where the seam should be. Most boats have writing on the side and generally if that writing is out of the water you’re good.

If You’d like I can send you an email with some reference pictures I’ve taken since we weigh the same. I’m finding 400+ liters volume seems to be a good number for proper performance.

Take a load
If you’re going to do a lot of trips, test with a load of similar weight and distribution for the test. Many, if not most sea kayaks, are designed to optimize with the weight. If you’re not doing trips, you will probably want a lower volume boat. But, test with the anticipated cargo that you will carry in most cases.

you’re overthinking
There is no magic “2” below trhe seam".

Duluth MN
Lake Superior and whitewater in the immediate area.

Or almost anywhere in Maine.