Sea Eagle RazorLite

Interested too

– Last Updated: Jan-09-15 11:38 AM EST –

I've been wondering why no one has produced a drop-stitch inflatable kayak yet. This is the first one I'm aware of. Looks kind of OK, but curious to see how it actually paddles. Some issues I see with it: not well outfitted for anything but easy recreational paddling, which is a category of buyers who won't necessarily buy into this particular type of construction, IMO: can be hard to inflate with a manual pump to the recommended PSI for many average to weak paddlers, no fishing stuff, a bit "tight" for people used to huge 3' wide barges, expensive.

On the price, it is in line with good inflatable SUP boards, so not unreasonable in relative terms. Still expensive, IMO.

The way it folds takes too much room. Would have been better if it could be rolled rather than folded and if the overall package was narrower when not inflated.

The seat looks like it will be sliding about, being only secured by the back.

Does not look like there are d-rings for thigh straps.

And I would be interested to see how one is to reenter this thing when flipped over - it is narrow and high above the water... On the plus side, 3 air chambers are safer than 1 with the SUPs (I'm always worried about a the iSUP deflating with me some distance away from where I need to be).

For family travel to beaches I have found that an inflatable SUP is a better option than a single-person inflatable kayak. Of course, that is mainly to just play in the water, not go paddling seriously. A SUP is great, especially if it can be outfitted with an optional seat. Less affected by wind, easier to remount. The kids play for hours with the SUP and I can take it as a snorkeling platform to the reef, or surf it at the beach brake. I take with me both a 3 piece SUP paddle and a 4 piece kayak paddle and sometimes paddle, depending on where I want to go.

The 5 seconds of paddling video by the manufacturer actually looks good to me.

Sea Eagle RazorLite
Some good points to consider. I’m sure it isn’t perfect, but I’ve been looking for a boat like this.

Inflatable kayaks suit my needs in many ways, but there aren’t many performance oriented boats. The only other one I know of that is less than 30 inches wide is the Advanced Elements AirFusion.

I also have really been waiting to see drop stitch technology used more extensively, which is why the RazorLite intrigues me. Sea Eagle’s FastTrack kayak made use of drop stitch and was well-reviewed, and this kayak seems to take the same concept even further.

my sevylor sk 100 has a drop stitch

– Last Updated: Jan-09-15 7:06 PM EST –

floor, quite stiff- its a whitewater boat that amazon is selling cheap right now, I have the older model (yellow and black). Its short and the ride is wet but its a good ducky, spins on a dime. The achilles heel is the seat. I'm thinking about buying another sk 100 and using some closed cell foam to support the seat much like how the force does (only it uses an air chamber). I use nrs cam straps as thigh straps.

here's a video with drop stitch floor on the model I have:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6_Qhn0i41A

amazon is shipping through this company

http://www.dealyard.com/p-12762-sevylor-2000008888-10-heavy-duty-pvc-surf-kayak-with-paddle-and-hand-pump.aspx

I apologize for jacking the thread but as I mentioned I'm thinking about picking up another of these boats. Its a ducky, has a dropstitch floor but its definately a ww boat, different than what the op wants.

aw what the heck, another boat!
just ordered another sk through amazon, makes 5 duckies now! quack quack!

RazorLite
Nice, looks like fun. You’re right though, I’m definitely looking for a decently quick flat water inflatable more than a white water.

Bump
Thought I’d give this thread another try. Has anyone had a chance to try this boat yet? I realize it is Winter, but maybe someone in a warmer climate?

Sea Eagle RazorLite review
I have just posted a review of the RazorLite to this site. It should be up in a couple of days, but in the meantime, here it is:

I bought a RazorLite 393rl at the end of 2014. Wasn’t expecting to be able to take it out before March, but we’re having a surprisingly mild February in the Rockies. I’ve taken the boat out twice: once for a couple of hours, the second time for four hours. I am 57 years old, 5’10", 185 lbs. I also own a Sea Eagle FastTrack 365 (original model), a Pathfinder IK, and a Native Watercraft Inuit 14.5 rotomolded kayak. Here are some initial impressions of the RazorLite.

Build quality is as good as you’d expect for an IK costing over $1,000. It’s well made.

The manual pump is impressive. Inflating all three chambers to 10 psi takes me only about 5 mins.–around 75 strokes per chamber. At 28 lbs., the boat is easy to carry.

When I got in for the first time, I was surprised at how tippy it felt. This is not your typical IK barge with round pontoon hulls, and I would be hesitant to lend it to a beginner. Under way, with my weight centered, the RazorLite feels quite stable. It has a flat bottom, but the bottom just isn’t very wide, and it tapers towards bow and stern. If I shift my weight to one side past a certain point, the boat will lean suddenly and get my attention very quickly. I haven’t yet tested the limits of its secondary stability to see how readily it will roll over.

I prefer to paddle with my knees raised. The seat is OK at first, but after about an hour it feels hard. I had to grasp the gunwales and lift my butt off the seat to restore circulation. In view of the tippiness, I’m reluctant to raise my center of gravity with much extra padding. Sea Eagle provides a strap and a PVC pipe as a footrest, but I found it supports only my heels. I built myself a small wooden footrest to replace the pipe.

Sea Eagle promotes the boat as fast, capable of 5 mph. Paddling fairly hard but not all-out, I saw about 4 mph on my GPS. I was more comfortable cruising at around 3.5 mph. However, breeze and current made it hard to gauge speed through the water accurately, and I’m not yet sure how much faster the RazorLite is than my FastTrack.

One thing I’m sure about: tracking is outstanding, with very little yaw. The sharp bow and stern, together with the rear skeg, keep the boat gliding straight. It tracks much better than my other IKs or my Inuit hardshell, yet it’s at least as maneuverable as they are. It turns easily with paddle strokes. I don’t yet know whether it will hold an edge or allow leaned turns—which would be remarkable in an IK—or whether it will just capsize. (I’m on the water in February, in the Rockies, without a drysuit.)

The drop-stitch sidewalls of the hull are relatively narrow, and the boat collects more water off paddle blades than my FastTrack does. Also, this is not an easy boat to dry after a trip. On the FastTrack, the drop-stitch floor pulls out when deflated, and you can get a sponge or towel to all the crevices. On the RazorLite, each side of the drop-stitch floor is tape-welded permanently to the hull’s side walls. I’m sure the designers had good reason to do that, but it means you can’t get underneath the floor chamber with a towel. The two drain holes just forward of the skeg are specifically for clean-out, not for self-bailing, so they need to remain closed when on the water. They help when draining the boat after a trip, but water collects in the stern, under the dark blue aft deck. The RazorLite has a hard-plastic bow and stern, inside of which is a grid of plastic dividers. They provide rigidity, but they create a series of deep pockets that retain water (and would collect sand and mud, too, I imagine). It’s a little awkward to reach in there and clean them out. Flipping the boat drains much of the water but not all. I’ve used a sponge and towel. A ShopVac might help, too.

Pros: well-built; tracks amazingly well; maneuvers well; feels pretty fast; feels stable unless leaned; inflates quickly; weighs only 28 lbs.

Cons: tippy when leaned; difficult to clean and dry the inside; uncomfortable seat after an hour.

Great Review
Thank you Keith, that’s a better review than I could have hoped for: very thorough. Your take on the performance sounds in line with what I would expect for the boat, though it is good to know about some of the other quirks you described.

I’m glad you mentioned the FastTrack since that is my other top choice for my next inflatable. I would be interested to hear more about how they compare as you use the RazorLite more, particularly in terms of speed. The RazorLite would really need to be significantly faster to justify me getting it over the FastTrack. What sort of speed would you say you average in the FastTrack?

Also, I don’t suppose you’ve ever tried the Advanced Elements AirFusion/ AirFusion Elite have you? Being another quick inflatable, I’ve been looking for a direct speed comparison between that and the FastTrack as well.

393 v 365
I’m curious how my RazorLite 393 and my FastTrack 365 compare, too; but alas, our window of May weather in February has closed for the time being, and we’re back to winter. Next chance I get, I’ll take them both out with the GPS for speed trials and report back.

If you’re thinking of buying a FastTrack, bear in mind it will be the second generation model, which has a pointier bow and is claimed to be faster than my original model. Compared to the RazorLite, my older FastTrack is about 8 lbs. heavier, several inches wider and shorter, and much more stable. I’ve been very happy with it. In the FastTrack I can twist around, reach for things, and lean over the side with no problem. In the RazorLite I have to remember to stay fairly centered. It’s a bit like walking a narrow path with a steep slope on either side: as long as you keep to the path, it feels stable, but step off it and you’re in the ditch. (I’m contrasting this feeling to a Perception Sonoma I paddled that had low primary stability and felt just slightly tippy even on center.)

For the FastTrack I have the “deluxe” seat (the inflatable white seat) rather than the thin, high-back, black “pro” seat that comes standard with the RazorLite. If you get the pressure just right, the deluxe seat is very comfortable. I’ve done trips of 10 and 13 miles on it on–on the marsh and down the Salmon River–with no soreness or numbness. However, the deluxe seat raises my butt 4 or 5 inches above the floor, so it might not be good in the tippier RazorLite. Still, I’ll try it.

Airfusion
Oh, I haven’t tried the Airfusion or Airfusion Elite.

FastTrack
Yeah, they seem to keep tweaking the FastTrack. Nice to see them actively working to improve it.

I think you may have helped me reach a decision. As much as I like speed, I really don’t want to sacrifice stability too much. I like being able to move around and reach for things. I’ll be interested to hear more about your experiences with the RazorLite, but the FastTrack may be the better fit for me after all. Thank you for the information.

This narrows my options down to the FastTrack, the Advanced Frame Expedition, or the AirFusion Elite.

You’re right about the deluxe seats. I have one that came with my Sea Eagle 330, and they are surprisingly comfortable.

AirFusion Elite
If you’ve never seen the AirFusion or AirFusion Elite, I recommend taking a look online. They’re interesting inflatables; much more of a true kayak than the usual canoe style.

FastTrack vs. RazorLite
I’ve been paddling the Sea Eagle FastTrack and was liking it until I went out to go whale watching off the Southern California coast. I was a half mile behind everyone as the FastTrack was butting its way through small chop. I was lucky to get 2mph with hard paddling and a borrowed carbon fiber paddle with an ergonomic shaft. The boat is otherwise comfortable on my spine which requires I shift positions frequently and I often sit cross legged to get off my tail bone. I have the black Sea Eagle highback seats and added a small 3 inch pad which puts me at the perfect angle on my spine. I am within my 180 day return window and was wondering if I should exchange boats? The FastTrack acted like a john boat butting the waves, I could hear it slapping the water, and absolutely refused to move forward in a confused current (tide coming in; rip current going out). Just would not knife through it. I paddled furiously for 30 minutes before breaking through.

Would the RazorLite handle the open ocean better? Or would chop completely overwhelm it and make it a liability?

I have to go inflatable because I don’t have a garage or yard and my spine loathes hard shell kayaks whether enclosed or sit on top.

Thanks so much for your help.

Razorlite 393L Review
I just spent most of July and August paddling a 393l in Japan (Fukashima) and Russia (Sakhalin and Kamchatka) in a variety of ocean, river and lake conditions. Comments:

Performance: At 9psi it is stiff enough that you don’t notice it’s an inflatable and it tracks as well as anything else it’s size/width. Comfortable all-day cruising speed about 5 kmh, maybe 7 or 8 if you’re Lance Armstrong on juice.

Construction: Excellent. I had only one pinhole leak which I fixed in the field. I put a bunch of glue and gray tape on the bottom of the bow as the fabric over the plastic bow takes quite a beating on beaches and when bumping over rocks.

Design: Sea Eagle is on to something with the drop-stitch walls and I predict this is the way that all high-end inflatables will soon go. Needs some improvements though. There are no rings or bungee straps in the bow and stern which makes it difficult to keep your gear securely under the bow and stern covers, let alone strap any light dry bags on the top. The seat, composed of stiff back and padded butt pad, is comfortable enough, but the butt pad kept sliding backwards leading me to have to land, get out and pull it back way too often. SE should put metal rings or fabric loops on front of butt pad in future, so seat bottom can be attached by rope or bungee cord to the same rings used for foot rest. I think a square footrest tube would be better than the current round one, which is a bit of a challenge to get into position and move around under feet comfortably.

Accessories: Tough choice between the 4-piece metal paddle and a 2-piece carbon fiber. I have the 4-piece but it needs better design so all 4 pieces are roughly equal length. Will buy a carbon fiber 4-piece in a second if one comes out. I do not like the pump included with the 393l, as it only inflates and does not have a deflation function which is extremely useful to suck air out of kayak when trying to stow a lot of stuff into the backpack.

Conditions: Cuts through wind better than any other inflatable on the market, great for smooth conditions and minor chop, but fills with water quickly in waves or anything more than Class 2 rapids. Self-bailing works, but leaves 2-3 cm of water in the boat which is enough to render it unstable. I took it out through decent (4-5 foot) surf for fun, but in the end could only get through breakers by flipping boat upside down and dragging it / duck-diving through the waves. On return it surfed the waves well on the face, but after waves broke the bow would fill with water and cause the boat to pearl and flip nose first – entertaining for spectators, less so for participants.

Improvements: Could use a bailing receptacle (hole) right in front of the seat. Very difficult to pump water out given that current hole is behind the seat. I wonder if the floor chamber could not be attached by a zipper on one side of the boat in future models…currently near impossible to dry out the water under the floor chamber which is sewed in place on both sides. Needs some kind of spray skirt if it will ever be good for more than day touring. I think the answer might be thin drop-stitch top chambers on the front and back which could be rolled up tightly onto bow and stern when not needed, and inflated when used in rough conditions, ideally providing enough “bulge” when inflated to split the water coming over the bow before it reached the cockpit. Center paddler skirt probably should be just fabric attached to boat by light velcro, as it would have to pull off with little or no effort – I can’t see ever being able to roll a boat this wide meaning easy exit mandatory.

Conclusion: May well be the wave of the future, but will take another model or two before they get it where it needs to be. Good for light conditions and warm weather, but I’d be scared to take it out in really cold water in other than smooth seas. A ton of fun for day trips or one-night camping.

Sea Eagle Razorlite
Lockwoodgh, thanks for the excellent review. So difficult to find valid info on inflatables. You touched on most, if not all, of the essential concerns I have regarding any boat.

Razorlite re-entry
Can anyone report yet on how easy/difficult re-entry after capsize is with either of the razorlites? I’d also be interested in knowing how stiff they are torsionally (if I bought one I’d want to fit a sail)

Razorlite first paddle
Got my Razorlite last night and managed to be on the water in less than 15mins after opening the box.

Did a 3km paddle in 3ft chop in about 10kts.

The good

Easy to inflate to 10psi, the pump is lower volume than my SUP so not to hard to finish off at the end.

Quality looks good

Sufficiently rigid and doesn’t feel like an inflatable.

• Very fast from pack to water and vice versa.

Not so good

Footrest is woeful. Can’t apply any power through the feet as the tube slips side to side. Determined not to paddle the boat again until I have made a better footrest.

-Wet boat, due to no rocker bow scoops water as you punch through waves. PVC cover doesn’t shed water but just funnels it into the boat. Had 10L of water in the boat at the end.
  • Razorlite is the shortest and fattest boat I own. I usually paddle a 18ft surf ski, in comparison (unfair) the Razorlite has no glide and surfs badly. Less performance than my DAG Midway SOT.

-I would gladly buy a longer and skinnier version with less stability, this is a very stabile boat.

-Seat is poorly designed.

Am I happy? - Yes

I knew I would have to engineer better footrest and seat solutions. Unhappy I will also have to come up with a custom spraydeck for a $1750 Australian dollar canoe.

Ultimately against its competitors ORU, Folbot etc in Australia are all around the same price and I think the Razorlite is the better product. Paddles better than the folders I have tried.

I haven’t yet tried the paddle that came with it, I used a wing paddle last night.

Razorlite first paddle
Got my Razorlite last night and managed to be on the water in less than 15mins after opening the box.

Did a 3km paddle in 3ft chop in about 10kts.

The good

Easy to inflate to 10psi, the pump is lower volume than my SUP so not to hard to finish off at the end.

Quality looks good

Sufficiently rigid and doesn’t feel like an inflatable.

• Very fast from pack to water and vice versa.

Not so good

Footrest is woeful. Can’t apply any power through the feet as the tube slips side to side. Determined not to paddle the boat again until I have made a better footrest.

-Wet boat, due to no rocker bow scoops water as you punch through waves. PVC cover doesn’t shed water but just funnels it into the boat. Had 10L of water in the boat at the end.
  • Razorlite is the shortest and fattest boat I own. I usually paddle a 18ft surf ski, in comparison (unfair) the Razorlite has no glide and surfs badly. Less performance than my DAG Midway SOT.

-I would gladly buy a longer and skinnier version with less stability, this is a very stabile boat.

-Seat is poorly designed.

Am I happy? - Yes

I knew I would have to engineer better footrest and seat solutions. Unhappy I will also have to come up with a custom spraydeck for a $1750 Australian dollar canoe.

Ultimately against its competitors ORU, Folbot etc in Australia are all around the same price and I think the Razorlite is the better product. Paddles better than the folders I have tried.

I haven’t yet tried the paddle that came with it, I used a wing paddle last night.

Thanks for the review.
I’m strongly tempted to buy this boat for I it’s portability to paddle a local lake after work for some exercise.

I’ve never paddled any inflatable. Usually solo canoes or composite sit in kayaks.

My main concerns with this boat is the foot brace - I’m used to firm braces higher up on the foot.

re-entry
Hi I just bought a std and the longer razorlite. First thing I did was put them in the pool to see how easy to get back in. No problem. My wife has the smaller one and coould get back in the seat…I am big and couldnt get the seat repositioned under me so I just unclipped it and figured id paddle back to shallow water to get situated again in the event of a tip over.

also the foot rests are useless. I took a 12in piece of 1in pvc and put it inside a 4in piece of pool noodle and seems to work much better.

Will test the boats out next week