Fall Ozark Rendezvous 2015

That info might turn me off from coming
down for this. I had been thinking about it.

How many small tents can be crammed onto one camp site?

I don’t remember the sites being big enough for more than maybe two small tents.

$57 in camping fees for three nights w/o showers or sink access could suck a bit. I only remember one pit toilet and one hand pump water source at the back of the camp ground.

I’ll try to contact ONSR
in the next couple of days to try to confirm whether the water and fee information is correct. I think it is stupid for the NPS to turn off the water at the beginning of October, considering they have left it on for much of the winter in past years without any problems I am aware of. October is often the peak of color season and should be a month that the NPS is working to attract people to Pulltite.

It is one thing to go without showers for a weekend but the inability to bathe properly becomes an issue for many people if they plan to stay for the better part of a week or so. For myself, if I find that the NPS does plan to shut off the water at the beginning of October, but charge full-freight for camping throughout the month, I will likely forgo the Ozark Rendezvous in favor of a downriver trip on the Current that is being organized by a paddling club I belong to for that same week.

If I am going to go without real toilets and showers for a week I would just as soon camp on gravel bars for free.

re: water
To answer your question, David, the NPS policy has been a maximum of 6 people and two camping units (two tents, or one tent and one RV, etc) per campsite.

The information regarding campground rates is unclear. This NPS website for Pulltite campground lists the campground fees that were in effect last year ($16/day through Oct 14, $14/day Oct 15 and after):

http://www.nps.gov/ozar/planyourvisit/camping.htm

As for water, I called the ONSR headquarters this morning. It was the understanding of the person I spoke to that maintenance started turning off the water at the various NPS facilities on October 15. This was also what I was told by the ranger last year at Pulltite. Every day, we rather expected that someone would be by to shut off the water and lock up the flush toilets, but apparently the maintenance guy had not gotten around to it by the time we departed.

I attempted to get a clarification on the water issue and see if I could possibly persuade maintenance to leave the water at Pulltite on as long as possible as there would be a sizable group there. Of course, nobody answered the phone at maintenance. I left a message and we’ll see if I get a return call. It might be helpful for others to call as well. The ONSR Park headquarters phone is 573 323 4236.

more water

– Last Updated: Aug-24-15 10:40 AM EST –

Called ONSR headquarters again this AM. Regarding campsite daily fee they told me that sites are $16/day through Oct 14 and $12/day Oct 15 and after. I could be wrong, but I believe the daily rate for regular season ($16) has gone up by $2 since last year. The off-season rate is the same as last year.

I received no response to the phone message I left with the maintenance department last Friday morning (surprise). I gave my name and number to the person at park headquarters again this morning and was told they would pass the message on to maintenance so we will see if I get a response.

The info from park headquarters was the same. The water in the showers is officially off as of sometime on October 15. This was also what the ranger told me last year. As it turns out, the water was still on as of the morning of October 19, 2014.

So thus far, it appears the situation is the same as last year, except for the increase in daily campground fee prior to October 15. The water may or may not be on. If I receive any further information I will post it here.

Thanks !!!
Thanks for your effort Pete.

Most people are like me; they like to have lots of space, and some privacy.

But to state the obvious; camp fees can be cut in half by sharing a campsite.

I think I’m going to bring my sunshower; I’m not prepared to share that.

BOB

Response from maintenance
I received the following message from the maintenance department of ONSR:

“The water will be on at Pulltite campground through October 15.”

Last year, it was on longer apparently due to limited staffing and/or bureaucratic inefficiency. This year, who knows? Plan accordingly.

Remember when?
There was a time when we stayed at the Round Spring Group Camp and were thrilled just to meet other paddlers from around the country. The only amenities were running water and a vault toilet. I am not suggesting that we go back to “the basics”, just reminiscing a little.

If cost is an issue, a person could hangout with the group at Pulltite and use the nearby Sinking Creek primitive campground to crash for the night. $5 per night. I have thought of doing this myself.

A group from Indiana camps at the Shannondale Church in a group campground. It has showers and even refrigerators that can be used. I don’t know what they charge. I personally prefer to camp near the river

we were younger then
As I get older certain amenities mean more. Now camping without a cot to sleep on is a hardship.

Golden Age Passport
Many of us have reached the pinnacle where we are eligible for what is now called “Senior Pass” - good for free entry to many National Parks and Monuments, and half-price camping fees at most federal sites. While I won’t be joining you folks at Pulltite, I recommend the $10 investment for anyone eligible…

Brad

Only about four weeks until …
canoeing with my friends on the Current River. Hoping for some good fall color and mild weather.

You Can Come Down For a Preview…
…next week and we’ll do a few nights on the river in the new Elk habitat on the lower Current?

Elk habitat in Spring?
Won’t be joining you folks this fall, but how about a similar trip before or after next spring’s Rendezvous Terry?

Brad

Terry, you’d better watch out.
There will probably be some hork hanging around in that new elk habitat!

Sounds like a Plan
Would love to do a river trip prior to the Spring Rendezvous

No preview for me
I’m on my way to Lake Placid for my niece’s wedding. Then down to NYC to see my aunt and uncle. I also plan on stopping at the Gettysburg battlefield on the way home. Hopefully I can get a few days recuperation before heading to the Rendezvous.

Bring back a Placid Shadow for me to
try out :slight_smile:

Well Dave …
My plan was to pick up that Rapidfire from the PNet drawing a few months ago. Only problem was that I didn’t win.

I’d gladly pick up your Placid Shadow and take it to the Rendezvous on two conditions:

1. Your Shadow is already paid for

2. My shipping charges for such transport must be sufficient to cover the cost of a Placid boat for myself

:slight_smile:

You’ve been studying the Bob’s deal
making strategies.

I’ll have to take some time to consider your generous offer :slight_smile:

I’ll help you…
I’ll help you with your gas expenses for the trip.

All I’ll need in return is a new Wildfire.

BOB

That would mean a detour to Colden,
as well at the trip to Placid.