Stowing kayak cart in the kayak?

My Wheel-eez comes apart
and fits nicely in the rear compartment of my QCC-700

jack L

I carry mine in the hatches
Wheeleez Kayak Cart Mini with the small Tuff Tires breaks down so I can put the frame in the bow hatch and the wheels in the rear hatch. Works fine for my day paddles, which entail a 1-mile round trip portage to and from home and launch.

This cart is not intended for carrying a heavily loaded sea kayak, though. For that, the C-Tug would be your best bet. But it is both heavy and bulky. I had to return one because it was too big to fit in my hatches even after the wheels were removed.

wheeleeze

– Last Updated: Jul-01-16 6:51 PM EST –

one wheel front and rear hatch, frame folds fits under rear hatch cover.

http://cdkayak.com/Kayaks.aspx?id=34

supremely handy with a full touring load. plus 50 liters water

Leave it and lock it
I always leave mine behind. I have a cable bike lock with a 4-digit combo so that I don’t need to worry about keys. Find a (tall) tree and secure it.

I built my cart for $20 out of PVC so I’m willing to gamble a little. So far, no issues.

Second C-tug
I second the c-tug. Fits in my rear hatch.

www.paddlecart.com
Fits easily in any of my oval hatch sea kayaks. It’s plenty sturdy for a balanced center-mount and rolls along easily. I much prefer this to my C-Tug.

Looks good
I wish they had put the specs on their website (dimensions of the folded parts, the wheels, the total weight, payload).

kayak cart
If I have to carry the kayak any distance I just use one of my SOF kayaks, the 18 footer only weighs 34 lbs. not exactly hard to carry. Lots easier than screwing around with a heavy kayak and a cart.

Bill H.

Hello?
He needs the cart to get all his trip gear onto the state ferry without causing a backup in the loading line.

That means sticking the gear inside the kayak, which negates the lightness of even a SOF. Also, a SOF would not be a good choice for stashing heavy gear inside unless it is already floating in water.

Strapped the frame to the rear deck
I was unable to find anyplace to rent a single kayak in Picton, New Zealand. So, I decided to rent one in Wellington and take it on the ferry to Picton. I brought my cart, an aluminum tube frame with 10"x3" wheels. The wheels fit into the hatches, but the frame I had to strap to the back deck. Not ideal, but it did not affect paddling or handling of the kayak, so I think it was okay.

It was kind of cool pulling the kayak in the line of cars and trucks boarding the ferry.

On the ferry, a kiwi deck hand busted my chops. As they were directing parking of the vehicles, I asked where they wanted me to park my kayak on cart. She looked at me and deadpanned, “oh, the kayak, take it up the steps to the 8th deck.” The kayak was loaded with my gear and weighed 200 lbs or more, so I was kind of in shock until she pointed to where she wanted me to leave the carted kayak.

~~Chip

fluid situation

– Last Updated: Jul-02-16 9:09 AM EST –

AHA ! you're on the Ferry ? You imagine you're on the Ferry.

http://goo.gl/rbIYKF

The problem is how much available space inside or atop your kayak for the most stable possibly 4 wheel CART.

The Wheeleeze is too light a kayak/cart connections for the Ferry. For the beach or park parking lot or lawn...AAA...light durable. No problem.

But not fail safe. Ferry transit requires a fail safe kayak/cart connection fully capable of hauling without readjusting straps.

Wheeleeze design, the Malone Nomad included, is flexible. Backing up and turning often loosens the connection requiring readjustment.

The Malone is made from steel. This is not good. Carts are aluminum or HD vinyl. Wheels need disassembling, cleaning, relubing with silicone grease after use.

The Ferry is manned by the same people as in New Zeeland. Passengers are less civil, completely untrustworthy walking by your kayak parking. Tho the Ferry crew is supervised by salty responsible people, especially the off ramp, many there are retarded, sometimes violent. If anyone engages you they're there to steal your kayak.

A Ferry trip requires hard wheels, the beach needs soft flotation wheels.

The Ferry cart has a solid secure kayak hull connection for cam straps. The Wheeleeze design does not use a fixed strap connector on the tubing. Nor does your kayak.

Look for this feature then...fixed strap mounts on cart. The kayak mounts are your design. Cam straps here loop around rear deck shock cords. Your Ferry trip needs possibly a dive belt strap or u handles bolted into the deck with #10 SS hardware over a hard rubber washer.

There are no screw-ups between lot and Ferry, Ferry and shore. None.

which one do you have
They show the dully for beach sand. I like the single tire for space saving. I was wondering if you used the single at the beach or dully.

I have a c-tug which when broken down I can load last thing at the waters edge in the rear hatch by saving space to put the tires stacked on top each other at the back of the rear hatch and each half of the kayak supports opening. That way I can first slide the two frame halves and each of the kayak supports down along each side of my skeg box. I then stack the tires in last and close the hatch. I can take it camping for a 3 -4 day trip in my kayak so I can pull my loaded kayak up the beach without unloading it before making camp, or getting down to the water at low tide.

Thanks, everyone
Thanks for all the advice and recommendations — a huge help.

I have grabbed the Quantum from the local REI. It fits (not with much breathing space) and in a quick test at home it’s staying stable on the kayak (though it really doesn’t match the shape of my hull, and the lack of a kickstand is a bit of a pain).

The C-tug looks like a possibility if thie Quantum doesn’t work out well enough; I chose the Quantum partly because it’s lighter and mostly because I could get it immediately.

The KCS trolley (newer version) sounds really promising, but yeah, seems like it could be a challenge to get in the U.S. But I think I’m going to explore that some more as it seems really good, great size, would take less stowage space, has a kickstand, and would match my hull a lot better. I found this post about it that was really informative: http://seakayakphoto.blogspot.com/2015/04/kcs-expedition-kayak-trolley-test-and.html

There were one or two other suggestions that also seemed worth exploring if the Quantum doesn’t work out, so thanks!

I still have a Quantum Stern Cart
I got it before the mini Wheeleez cart was made. You have to put the Quantum farther back on the stern because the little plastic bucket was shaped for rowing shells, i.e., very narrow. The Wheeleez mini lets me place it a little farther forward, which means less weight for me to carry.

The advantage of the Quantum is mainly smaller size. It is a pain to use for more than short distance portaging, and it is not rated to carry loaded sea kayaks. 80lb max, I think. I keep mine as a backup cart but have not actually used it since getting the mini Wheeleez.

Full reviews are in Pnet’s reviews section.

prep

– Last Updated: Jul-03-16 1:56 PM EST –

http://goo.gl/qIC9bo

http://goo.gl/5OxCKa

interesting rig. REI sells to your market.

Replace the weenie straps with cam straps. NRS, f you’re buying there has primo straps. Seattle Fabrics has the makings for top quality DIY.

A 245/16/75 10 ply A/T spare is now held in place at the Cargo partition in muh van with one NRS strap...sloth...replaced a 2 rod with 1buh6 clamp assembly ( canot find) and wroks better. Down the CANYON ...

After you scope out the mounting, add rectangular u bolts for the kayak connection. Small diameters. Use blue loctite on the threads for sealing against salt corrosion. Nylocks if possible. Get a http://goo.gl/07cFl3 and for the battery.

Review the quick release assembly for possible loss or malfunction n stock/carry extras. Springs ? Where's the XX!@#x00 spring.....

And extra straps or the OEM straps.

Foam may snug in the hull….Wal/Amazon sell various foams. The effect is additive frictional over actual contact. No rubbing.

I have this one from Karlkelly11@hotmail.com for $30 that has T’s that are removable and will stow in my front kayak hatch of my Eddyline Equinox 10” diameter hatch. Here is a picture

Karlkelly, you bought it from someone called Karlkelly. That looks strange.

Also, are you saying that this product can only be bought from an email address? There is no web page?

On first glance, your post could look like spam, but I will give you the benefit of doubt, because the product actually seems quite interesting.

Yes. I have no job and I’m going to loose my house.

We have Wheeleez carts and they just barely fit in the rear hatches of a Necky Arluk 1.9 and a QCC 600. When kayak camping we have room to store the wheels in a hatch, but bungee the carts to a rear deck. They’re low enough and light enough to not cause a problem.

If you look online you will find several cart designs that are smaller than the Wheeleez style or break down into more parts.

It leaving a cart behind at a launch, I recommend taking the wheels and cable locking the cart. I have two friends that have had carts stolen.

For a suggestion as to strapping down a kayak on a Wheeleez cart or something similar check out this article. Faster and more secure than the single 16’ strap normally provided with these carts.

1 Like

Thanks for that article on dealing with the straps; looks quite helpful to me.

This thread is pretty ancient so I wasn’t going to follow up, but it’s getting some traffic, so…

TLDR: I recently switched to a Wheeleez Kayak Mini Cart, which I haven’t used much but I like it a lot so far and it’s on sale for $30 from their web site right now, which I consider an excellent price.

Longer:

While I did ultimately go with the Quantum and it did fit the hatch, I didn’t love that the design didn’t match the hull better and that it didn’t fold down, plus after a couple of long hauls I realized how much I wanted a cart that would fit near the middle, so that I wasn’t having to carry so much weight.

I din’t actually need a cart very often, so it took me a long time to get around to replacing it, but after a couple of missteps, I went with the Wheeleez Kayak Cart Mini, which recently has been on sale (and remains on sale) for a very acceptable $30. It’s rated for 121 lbs, so not great for a heavy, loaded down kayak (and I have only tested it on an empty 45 lb boat), but I find it a relative joy. Packs easily into my Eddyline Equinox rear hatch; packs fine into the front hatch if I load it towards the cockpit instead of towards the bow. (It does not fit in either hatch of my smaller Eddyline Skylark.)

For the sale price: https://wheeleez.com/product/wz1-kcm-tt-20/