2016 Fall Ozark Canoe Rendezvous

Helicopter echo bluff
HayTerry, I checked out the Web site for the new state park. It looks down right spiffy. Then I checked it out on Google earth. It looks like all of the river front camp sites are reserved for helicopter pilots. No danger of flooded camp ground here.

Paddling sinking creek would be a nice addition. We would be cool with either loaction, since they are both on the shuttle rout.

Hmmm, Already Reserved?
You’re funny, Tom (LOL)! I wonder if they just don’t have the web site ready to take reservations yet? I PLAN on being at Pulltite, but if the NPS starts their shennanigans, we have options as do those who need a solid roof and electricity.

Right Terry
And if they keep up their shenanigans we may need water too.

Election year
There will be more than enough shenanigans with the election. NPS will not have to add any more this year.

Checked Out Echo Bluff
A few small trees in the camping area so it would resemble camping in a parking lot right now. Will check out the food in the lodge soon and see if it’s a viable option for those not wanting to cook or drive to Emminence.

Current on the current?
It looks like we cleared the first hurdle in that the kids will be on fall break. Second hurdle will be sport tournaments, but that’s looking good also, although it’s early yet. So I’m allowing myself to start toying with the idea of making the fall trip. Last spring, we brought along enough boats for a small rental service because we really didn’t know what to expect on the Buffalo. So tell us about the Current. Looks like very mild water. Will the day trips be about the same length? I wouldn’t mind to bring the WW boats if the length was about the same as on the Buffalo, and would definitely bring them if there was going to be the possibility of a side trip on a little more playful stream. So, what should we expect hanging with you beautiful souls again for the 2nd time?

Current

– Last Updated: Aug-10-16 7:30 PM EST –

I think its safe to say its a lot like the flows we saw on the Buffalo between Ozark and Hasty after the rains. (Perhaps last time you didn't arrive at the Buffalo on the first day when the levels were soooo low.) The Current is spring fed and isn't as rain dependent as the Buffalo. It usually holds its levels more consistently. Its not as exciting as the Ponca/Erby stretch, but it requires some maneuvering and line-picking. We usually do 10 or 12 miles per day and self shuttle, though there are often those among us who might leave early and do 16 or 18/day. The last stretch, Round Spring to Two Rivers, is a bit longer. If the water levels are up its not unheard of for us to do a longer day on the Jack's Fork which is within a long shuttle distance from the Pulltite campground. The Jack's would be a little closer if we camp at Sinking Cr which is very near Round Spring.

Jacks Fork and Current
The Jacks Fork and Current Rivers are pretty much all Class I water. I recall one rapid on the upper Jacks on the so-called Prongs that I might rate as an easy Class II. Just like the Buffalo, the major real hazard on these rivers are root wads and other strainers.

There is the occasional surfable wave. The stream bottoms are primarily gravel and depending on water level, you might experience some scraping now and then. Some people bring composite boats but most opt for Royalex or polyethylene. You certainly don’t need a whitewater boat, but the pace of the trips will be such that if you are paddling a whitewater boat, you won’t be struggling to keep up.

The access points on the Current tend to be between 7 and 9 river miles apart. The stretch from Round Spring to Two Rivers is more like 18 miles, as Pat said. Certainly quite doable as a day trip even in a whitewater canoe, but probably not many will opt to do it.

There are other rivers in the area such as the Big Piney, but they and the upper Jacks Fork are much more rain dependent than the Current, so unless it is an unusually wet autumn, I would not count on them flowing.

ONSR map
Here is a pdf file containing the National Park Service map for the ONSR showing access points and river miles:

http://www.nps.gov/ozar/planyourvisit/upload/OZARmap-2.pdf

At typical autumn water levels the Current can usually be paddled from Cedargrove down, although the stretch from Cedargrove down to Welch Spring can be scrapy. The Jacks Fork can be paddled from Alley Spring down.

Most times in autumn the rivers are too low to comfortably paddle above Alley on the Jacks, or above Cedargrove on the Current, but there have been exceptions.

Thanks
Thanks Pat & Pete for the info. Sure do hope we will be able to make it.

ed

years ago
Hey - I met several of you a few years ago, ferried some boats, and wanted to check in and try to join for a day this year. Let me know if I can be of any local assistance. I’m living on the Jack’s Fork now, and I’m happy to help however I can.

I remember
That was on the Prong’s of the Jacks, no?

In the unlikely event that water levels on the upper Jacks Fork permit trips this fall (paddling, not hiking) I’m sure there will be someone other than me who would like to do one.

If not, we will probably be at Pulltite campground, although there seems to be some talk of Echo Bluff or Round Spring. By all means, join us for as many days as you can. Too early to tell when folks will begin to arrive or what they will plan to paddle, but in past years the early birds have typically arrived on Monday or Tuesday.

If you want to send a PM with a phone number, we could try to call you. Or just stay tuned here.

Buffal River to enjoy before?
I plan on joining up for the Rondezvous probably arriving Tuesday or Wednesday…Oct 18/19… And have several days before if the Buffalo is flowing well would like to do the upper section for some nice moving waters… Looking at driving and arriving on Friday, October 14… Anybody want to join up? I’m open to staying at a campground on the river or base camping in Jasper!

Anita from TX

Possibly depending on water levels
But based on historic water levels for mid-October the chances that the upper Buffalo would be running are slim to none.

Skill level and float bag requirements?
We’d like to join you this time and have a couple of questions.

We normally float some easy Texas rivers with the occasional tame rapid. No big gradient here! Will that prepare us for the Current River?

Also, do most of you use flotation? I don’t have any for the tandem (a Royalex Bell Northwind) but would consider buying a center bag (a mere $140 from NRS) since I already have 6 D-rings under the thwarts.

No flotation needed
The Current is a class one river, I guess if it was in flood stage it would be a higher class (but it would be closed if flooded) but you do not need any flotation. The weekenders in the summer go down this river drunk, backwards, upside down, no life jacket, etc. and them seem to make it out alive. This is a beautiful, spring fed river that has moving current. Yes, there are strainers that you need to watch out for but if there is ever a time that your not comfortable you can usually walk around. River is always changing with the floods. Me and two other girls just did 2 overnights on the river last weekend and we had loaded boats and no issues. You’ll love it, its a special place that I am lucky to only live 3 hours from. Look forward to meeting you.

Pam

Staying at Pulltite!
I know there is some talk about Echo Bluff and some maybe staying there. Rob and I will be staying at Pulltite and have no desire to stay at Echo. Don’t get me wrong it’s beautiful but they are going for a different market (the folks with the big campers/motorhomes) which is fine but that isn’t us. They only have 10 “official” tent sites and they are all walk in. You can put a tent up in the electric sites but there are no trees so no shade. Now if someone is looking for a cabin then Echo Bluff would be perfect, plus they do have a restaurant which I understand is pretty good but a bit pricey. Echo is only about 8 min or so from Pulltite, so closer than Salem or Eminence. Even if you don’t stay at Echo I do suggest you go over and look at the park as it is very pretty, even with all the controversy.

Staying at Pulltite…
That’s where JoAnne & I will be.

BOB

NPS Suggestions?
Talked with Ranger Dave Tobey with the NPS last week and discussed the Rendezvous. We discussed past “Issues” and he assured me hot water for the showers, etc will not be an issue this year. He also asked for any suggestions that could make for an even better experience for the group?

I’m very impressed by his interest in our Rendezvous and willingness to do any and everything within his power to make everything go smoothly. Great guy, stop in at Round Spring and say “Hello” if you get the chance. If you’re interested in a cave tour I have another old friend, Monty Heise, whom is also working as a seasonal ranger. I’ve been very impressed the last couple years with the area NPS ranger staff.

suggestions

– Last Updated: Aug-29-16 3:43 PM EST –

Install ice machine (free ice for coolers and margaritas)
Free beer
Install hot tubs and jacuzzis
Free morning coffee service
Valet parking, tent setup and tent take down service
Free shuttle service

I'll think of some more later.