2016 Fall Ozark Canoe Rendezvous

NPS Suggestions?
Talked with Ranger Dave Tobey with the NPS last week and discussed the Rendezvous. We discussed past “Issues” and he assured me hot water for the showers, etc will not be an issue this year. He also asked for any suggestions that could make for an even better experience for the group?

I’m very impressed by his interest in our Rendezvous and willingness to do any and everything within his power to make everything go smoothly. Great guy, stop in at Round Spring and say “Hello” if you get the chance. If you’re interested in a cave tour I have another old friend, Monty Heise, whom is also working as a seasonal ranger. I’ve been very impressed the last couple years with the area NPS ranger staff.

suggestions

– Last Updated: Aug-29-16 3:43 PM EST –

Install ice machine (free ice for coolers and margaritas)
Free beer
Install hot tubs and jacuzzis
Free morning coffee service
Valet parking, tent setup and tent take down service
Free shuttle service

I'll think of some more later.

Great!
Thanks Pam, that sounds great. Y’all booking the campsite right now?

Hmmm…
…Margaritas and valet shuttling? Sounds like a damn fine suggestion (LOL)?

Marty Koch’s fall Ozark float trip

– Last Updated: Aug-30-16 9:02 PM EST –

I haven't posted on P-net in so long that I couldn't remember by password and so had to look it up. I just noticed that Marty Koch's Fall Ozark Float Trip is same dates (Oct 10-16)as your gathering. Guess this happened before and likely makes no difference to those coming to the Fall Ozark Rendezvous but posting about it gives me a chance to say hello to those of you I know. I miss you guys. Thinking I might try to come down and join you next spring, maybe,,,especially if the improvements suggested by Pete are put into place.

probably not necessary
That time of year, it is unlikely that Pulltite campground will be fully occupied. In fact, October 15 is the end of the regular season and marks the start of the “walk in” season. In years past, we camped there for free, as there was no campground host, nor anyone emptying the cash drop box. A couple of years ago, they started charging for sites off season at a reduced rate.

Campsites are allowed 2 tents and up to 6 people so doubling up is also an option.

Camping at Pulltite
Dick made reservations for us at our favorite Pulltite campsite. Should be arriving sometime on Tuesday

Might be coming from Utah
I used to be semi-active on paddling.net, but not for the last few years. I attended three or four combined Marty Koch/paddling.net get together a, paddling with both groups depending on who was going where. We moved to Utah 4 1/2 years ago, but we might be heading to the Current this year. It is kind of nice to be retired! We do intend on camping at Pulltite since we really like the place even though we use a travel trailer these days.

Since it has been a few years, what are the generic plans? Decide each night who is going where? Central campfire or not? Pot luck on not?

Pam (the other one)

Rendezvous
The group “usually” decides the night before what will be paddled the next day, depending on what people want to do there could be multiple trips. Usually someone will have a “general” campfire each night. We stopped doing the potluck but started what we call “high tea” which is just drinking and more snack type of food (dips, cheeses, etc), we usually get one of those in with the whole group and then other nights people may break off and do their own thing.

Not that getting a campsite will be an issue this time of year but if someone (like myself) like a specific site you might want to reserve it. Walk-in starts on 10/16, so for our dates of 10/12 to 10/16 you can still reserve or just pick a site when you get there, even with Marty’s group there should be no issues, haven’t been in the past.

Just about 4 1/2 weeks away now - looking forward to seeing old faces and hopefully some new ones.

See ya,

Pam

Pam
Some of us may have “old faces” but we still have young souls :slight_smile: - - -

“Sweet sixteen is turning 31” … well, more like 51, 61, or 71 for some of us; Rock and Roll Never Forgets

Not me
I’m old and so is my soul. Old and rotten.

Corsica kayak for sale by Pat2?
Was told that Pat2 may have a Corsica boat for sale if so would he please respond to me at apgoss@sbcglobal.net…was told by Pat Cannon that he might be interested in selling I will

Rendezvous Dates
Are the correct dates 10/12 thru 10/16? Thanks

Dates
Yes, dates are 10/12 to 10/16, of course some people come early. I know a few will be there on Monday 10/10.

Big foot siteing
We are expecting a big foot siteing on Monday the 10.

Appropriate clothing?
We paddle in Keen sandals/Astral brewers and synthetic shorts and shirts here in Texas.

I was thinking about buying at least some NRS neoprene paddle booties for some added warmth. Maybe wool underwear under the shirt? We also have some rubber boots, but I don’t want to use those on the river.

What do you all wear in the cold October Ozarks?

It’s not usually what I’d consider cold
in October, just very pleasant with moderate temps and low humidity. In my experience convertible pants and a t shirt with a jacket handy are sufficient. YMMV

Brewers are fine
I do not wear waterproof shoes or high boots although some do.

Holy schnikeys. I just realized
I answered every question but the one you asked. Sorry bout that!

Tom’s Sunny Camping Spot?
Tom - what camp site were you in last year? It was in full sun where your solar cells worked. I’ve looked at the NPS map and can’t figure out which one you were in last year.

If anyone else knows please chime in because I don’t know if Tom posts or not.

Mike