Ferry runs over kayakers

In Arizona
ANY paddle or sailing craft has the right-of-way over any powerboat.

BUT…

To insist on that right is stupid and suicidal!

That powerboat is moving at 35 knots and the driver is too busy trying to impress his gf to see a dark-coloured kayak low in the water being paddled by someone in a cammo PFD.

Even when I have the right-of-way, I never insist on it. It costs me nothing to give the river to the powerboat though my daughter talks about suing them…

which is STUPID!!! for so many reasons.

Probably two ins. companies involved.
…each with their own staff attorneys with both pointing fingers at the other…

I remember the Ford Explorer, Firestone Tire fiasco. It ended up killing Firestone when it was Ford’s fault.

No working ports in AZ

Unfortunately
I believe some folk who only paddle state regulated waters that DO give paddle craft stand on status take that as the Rule on all waters.

If it tastes salty you are probably in waters governed by the Colregs, and you are just another vessel subject to the same rules as the guy in the Bayliner.

Tonnage rule: I cringe at that cliche because while it may be a good default to ensure safety it’s simplistic. If Im running a light tug (no barge) I am not constrained. A kayak on my starboard side in a crossing situation for example would be the stand on vessel and i would take action to give way well ahead of time.

If that same kayaker stopped maintaining course and speed it would confuse the situation maybe. Id try for s strong visual contact, slow down and make my course correction to avoid early and obvious.

Ever at a 4 way stop and someone tries to be polite but departs fron the rules? Sometimes it ends up being confusing.

Dont mean to split hairs and generally agree with the tonnage default. Just be smart and avoid situations with prudent navigation.

And use that handheld!

Be safe. Enjoy.

then there was Audi
…and “sudden acceleration”

Law is

– Last Updated: Aug-31-16 6:37 PM EST –

When a power-driven vessel is leaving a dock or berth, she shall sound one prolonged blast.

Large boats here on Long Island NY like charters always get on 16 and request clear passage and wide berth and say what they are planning to do. Instructor should always have a radio and possibly did to know what is going on especially in a busy port like NYC. Courts will sort it out. God bless all the injured kayakers. Was looking to see if announcing on VHF is a law also but didn't find it yet but it should be done especially in situation where you know kayakers are around at times.

Didn’t they say…
The pedals were too close together and blamed the drivers?

I am sure
lawyers are looking for them. It will be a good case for them.

Do the ferries follow the same rules?
It has been a while since I have been on a ferry to or from LI, but my recall is they pretty much traveled their established routes and figured that others would expect they would be there.

still

– Last Updated: Aug-31-16 6:51 PM EST –

ships should announce they are leaving on VHF. Instructor would have had time to contact ferry and / or get kayakers out of the way. Prolonged horn blast you cannot miss unless you are deaf. Glare would be no excuse. Unlike a car where it can appear in almost an instance it doesn't happen when leaving a dock. He should not have moved the ferry and someone should be astern I would think if he can't see and knows kayakers use the waters.

Here’s Jack …

– Last Updated: Aug-31-16 9:12 PM EST –

http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/noaatidepredictions/NOAATidesFacade.jsp?Stationid=8530645&bmon=08&bday=30&byear=2016&edate=&timelength=daily

http://marine.weather.gov/MapClick.php?site=okx&zmx=&zmy=&map_x=91&map_y=218&x=91&y=218#.V8dpzjFTHQM

http://w1.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KEWR.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~x)0

my data are downriver from the accident. not much wind at 39th.

http://w1.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KNYC.html

http://www.google.com/#q=new+york+waterways+ferry+schedule+weekend

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/31/nyregion/11-kayakers-rescued-from-hudson-river-after-collision-with-ferry.html?_r=0

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\MORE

goo.gl/1dvvaR

On ferries in Maine, Portland
And it is salt water… I have never seen anyone specifically spotting for kayaks even when it is common for them to be around in the summer. No ferry has gotten any cites for this as far as I know. Don’t recall if they blew a horn before leaving.

I did see a Coastie give a very stern time to a kayaker that had gotten themselves in the way of an incoming ferry close to the dock, could have gotten cited but it was hard to tell. The ferry stopped and called the Coasties. And any sanction was correct as far as I and my husband were concerned. The paddler had several problems, no lights when the day was nearly faded, no reflective anything. And from what we could see nonexistent boat control, but there are no fines for bad paddling.

Salty…
…always the voice of reason. Nice to see your posts again. Stay in touch…

Jon http://3meterswell.blogspot.com

so if
you can’t see you hope and pray?

I’ll give captain my NY vanity plate
“SEEKAYAK”

we donate
one ferry sched to Manhattan yaks

You model my point
Only in Inland Rules is a vessel required to sound one long blast when departing. NOT International!! So once again skewed information is shared.

Now, a Captain in International waters “may” choose to sound a blast as a warning but it’s not required. So you may see a ferry in the San Juans pull away with NO blast.

Years back I ran a big tour boat and would often sound three blasts meaning operating astern propulsion.

So DO NOT count on a warning whistle signal in International waters.

Even some waters that are technically Inland of the demarcation lines such as Puget Sound Wa still employ International Rules per the Coast Pilot.

Regards
Dont visit here often but just happened upon this. The Rules can be confusing so I dont fault folk for not undertanding the nuances between the International and Inland Colregs and / or State modifications to such. It’s easy to mix it all up as is evident in these threads.

Id encourage paddlers to take a Rules course at a Maritime school or at the least know what Rules apply to their waters. Thats part of voyage planning. Part of being competent vs naive or arrogant.

It’s all fun. Knowledge supports safety. Just having situational awareness will go a long way.

I wish you all safe fun paddling.

Not accurate
A ferry will contact VTS and notify traffic of their departure but theres NO requirement to make a Securitee announcement on the VHF.

Im starting to think the Internet is part of the problem… Where do folk get this false info??

Interesting take on right of way
Talking about this with another kayak guide, and his response on right of way rules is that they only matter in sailing races. Away from that, whether you have right of way or not, if you can do something to avoid a collision, you need to do it.