KayaksNearMe.com Anyone Try It ?

I posted this in the classified section as well, sorry if that is the wrong place. I am looking to rent a kayak to try out before I purchase. WWW.KayaksNearMe.com allows you to rent in your area but is still pretty new so not many to choose from. The local shop doesn’t have any of the models I like. My question is what else could I do and has anyone tried KayaksNearMe?

Appreciate it

Join kayak club and try members if they let you or dealers.

@Kayak Kid said:
I posted this in the classified section as well, sorry if that is the wrong place. I am looking to rent a kayak to try out before I purchase. WWW.KayaksNearMe.com allows you to rent in your area but is still pretty new so not many to choose from. The local shop doesn’t have any of the models I like. My question is what else could I do and has anyone tried KayaksNearMe?

I checked that website. It’s a Finland operation: “The jurisdiction that is applicable in this service and these terms of use is that of Finland, unless something else is required by binding law.”

Only two kayaks are listed in the US, both fishing kayaks in Texas. Lots of potential for liability issues, so not sure if it will catch on here.

Since you want to demo a specific model, look for outfitters who handle that brand - but you may have to travel. Also search for demo days and meet-ups in your area.

“…The local shop doesn’t have any of the models I like…”

Google the manufactures of the models you like and most have a dealer locator feature on their web sites. Or call the contact number and ask for the local dealer.

kayaksnearme is new. So new, in fact, that on the same day you posted your request for info here, KNM was sending out emails to clubs and such announcing their business. You sure heard about this new business quick! A cynical person might even think that you actually work for KNM and aren’t looking to rent a boat so much as promote the business. But we aren’t cynical here.

There have been conversations on our club list about this service, and they all seem to come back to the same result - they wouldn’t use KNM to rent their boats out. We might use a peer to peer car services, because the systems are all in place (what they drive on, the roads, are a known quantity, the driver has a license so we know they have a certain level of driving skills, and insurance systems are well in place to cover issues). None of this exists with kayaks. You don’t know what the water conditions will be, the renter’s skills, and a new class of insurance needed to be made for this. Then the hassle of logistics of handing out and taking back boat - owner likely needs to be there to do both ends (the peer to peer car rentals automate this with technology).

Wish the business luck.

Yea I get your point if I am taking the kayak down some serious rapids etc. But me and alot of other people kayak fish in the bays and when I travel, the rental places just have your basic rigs. So that means either I get my outfitted rig to my destination or don’t go kayak fishing. Good point on insurance, they do have a user review program and said they reserve the right to kick you out for bad reviews…

Looks like they have a section to sell kayaks too… man that would be nice because right now you have to go to all the message broad forums to find classifieds.

Jeremy

@Peter-CA said:

“We might use a peer to peer car services, because the systems are all in place (what they drive on, the roads, are a known quantity, the driver has a license so we know they have a certain level of driving skills, and insurance systems are well in place to cover issues). None of this exists with kayaks. You don’t know what the water conditions will be, the renter’s skills, and a new class of insurance needed to be made for this. Then the hassle of logistics of handing out and taking back boat - owner likely needs to be there to do both ends (the peer to peer car rentals automate this with technology).”

Wish the business luck.

@Kayak Kid said:
Yea I get your point if I am taking the kayak down some serious rapids etc. But me and alot of other people kayak fish in the bays and when I travel, the rental places just have your basic rigs. So that means either I get my outfitted rig to my destination or don’t go kayak fishing. Good point on insurance, they do have a user review program and said they reserve the right to kick you out for bad reviews…

Looks like they have a section to sell kayaks too… man that would be nice because right now you have to go to all the message broad forums to find classifieds.

Jeremy

You already have an outfitted rig? Yet in your original post you stated “I am looking to rent a kayak to try out before I purchase” and asked for advice on what to do. Quite confusing.

As to the kayak rental website, surely anyone renting their kayak to a stranger is going to require a fat security deposit to make sure they get their boat back and in one piece, no?

It was meant as a theoretical statement, because I was commenting only on the quoted section of your reply about how peer to peer work in other areas but not with kayaks. So I was theoretically saying when I buy my rig and have it all done up like I want when I travel I have 3 choices right now: 1) Haul it with me 2) Hope for the best and rent when I get to my destination 3) Don’t go kayaking.

To answer your security deposit question: I believe payment is upfront and I would think that KayaksNearMe has the renters CC/paypal info so if they don’t bring it back or it has a hole in it the renter gets charged for replacement. Kind of like renting a car from Enterprise right? I would think it would be that simple… They have a release of liability form too so probably won’t be on the hook if someone hurts themselves while using your yak.

Jeremy

@Rookie said:

@Kayak Kid said:

Jeremy

You already have an outfitted rig? Yet in your original post you stated “I am looking to rent a kayak to try out before I purchase” and asked for advice on what to do. Quite confusing.

As to the kayak rental website, surely anyone renting their kayak to a stranger is going to require a fat security deposit to make sure they get their boat back and in one piece, no?

Is this Pammy 140?

? Who is Pammy 140?

@grayhawk said:
Is this Pammy 140?

No this is Kayak Kid and my name is Jeremy?

@Kayak Kid said:
From Ft Collins and you paddle Horseshoe Reservoir?

@Chuck von Yamashita said:

@Kayak Kid said:
From Ft Collins and you paddle Horseshoe Reservoir?

I have been to Ft. Collins, but I live in Texas. Horseshoe Reservoir a pretty good place to try out?

No, we’re not cynical. About 5% of the time.

@String said:

Peter was spot on. I’m a curious sort and wanted to read that release of liability form referenced above that allegedly would release an owner from liability and protect his/her investment. The kayaksnearme site is a d/b/a for a Texas LLC, created by Jeremy a/k/a Kayak Kid (as well as a Kickstart campaign).

The form is seven pages which includes gobbledygook about kayaks, skis, snowboards, bikes, passengers riding on handlebars, and an affirmation that “Renter understands that he or she should be in good physical health to participate in bicycling.” Say what?? It looks like it’s an amalgamation of online liability forms and needs to be cleaned up. In addition to the name of the “renter,” his/her address, phone number(s) and driver’s license number should be included on the signature page. Credit cards have limits and charges can be challenged.

Another troublesome statement in the event a rented kayak is damaged or destroyed: “The determination of whether damage impacts the usability or resale value of the Ride shall be made by KayaksNearMe in its sole discretion.” [Emphasis supplied]
Information as to the paddling background and level of expertise of the person making such a determination should be stated.

It was disingenuous to introduce the site under the auspices of looking for a place to rent a kayak for a future purchase, but I’ll wish him good luck anyway.

One of the best parts of this forum is the smart people who post here. I learn a lot reading here most every day.

@Rookie said:

@String said:

Peter was spot on. I’m a curious sort and wanted to read that release of liability form referenced above that allegedly would release an owner from liability and protect his/her investment. The kayaksnearme site is a d/b/a for a Texas LLC, created by Jeremy a/k/a Kayak Kid (as well as a Kickstart campaign).

The form is seven pages which includes gobbledygook about kayaks, skis, snowboards, bikes, passengers riding on handlebars, and an affirmation that “Renter understands that he or she should be in good physical health to participate in bicycling.” Say what?? It looks like it’s an amalgamation of online liability forms and needs to be cleaned up. In addition to the name of the “renter,” his/her address, phone number(s) and driver’s license number should be included on the signature page. Credit cards have limits and charges can be challenged.

Another troublesome statement in the event a rented kayak is damaged or destroyed: “The determination of whether damage impacts the usability or resale value of the Ride shall be made by KayaksNearMe in its sole discretion.” [Emphasis supplied]
Information as to the paddling background and level of expertise of the person making such a determination should be stated.

It was disingenuous to introduce the site under the auspices of looking for a place to rent a kayak for a future purchase, but I’ll wish him good luck anyway.

Being cynical is understandable, especially now a days. My post was not suppose to be disingenuous. I was trying to get real answers from strangers that know what they are talking about. I wanted to do some home work and usually when people find out your are the founder, they go easy on you. This isn’t my first online startup and I have learned a thing or two from the past. I really need the feedback and you guys did not disappoint. So if you want to really unleash on me now, go ahead I get it. Y’all are probably thinking “Some guy just came onto our forum acting like they were someone else and is really just taking and not contributing.” Well I am trying to contribute to our hobby/love of kayaking by building KayaksNearMe into the AirBnb of kayaks exclusively. No SUPs, No surfboards or Other water sports, just pure kayaks.

A little more about me; I am a novice kayaker. I have kayaked with my uncle in Arkansas (beautiful place), a few times in Texas and when on beach vacations. So my original comment was real, I am not sure where to go try out a kayak or rent one besides the obvious kayak/sup rentals on the lake that have cheap kayaks. I was interested in finding a fishing kayak to take out and see if it was something I really wanted to purchase in the future.

Where the idea came from: I like kayaking, but I am a novice so I am still trying to figure out what is the best type of setup for me. Also, while on vacation like most of y’all probably have experienced, I wanted to go out into the bay and fish from a kayak. But my only options were the crappy beach kayaks or charter fish. So I didn’t go fishing, which sucked. So I did what a lot of people do when they are looking for answers, I searched the internet like crazy and came up empty. So I started building the solution, kayaksnearme.com.

So I apologize for being disingenuous. I hope this post is received as what it is meant to be: an apology and explanation. I do appreciate the best wishes and good luck comments, they didn’t go unnoticed. Thanks for being real and giving true feedback.

Jeremy from Texas