Calling all canoers

I live in Boise and I am active in the Idaho Canoe & Kayak Club. However that is pretty much kayaks and SUPs. I am a long time kayaker who is transitioning to canoeing with a Mad River Courier for flat water and getting a Wenonah Recon for white water (which I managed to get a Bob Foote pedestal for.

Anyhow there is only a handful of canoers in the area these days as most people SUP or ww kayak. I have the start of a small dedicated group that mostly if not entirely canoes and I would like to see it come back in full force. So if anyone is interested let me know so we can get together.

Canoe Renaissance coming
I sense a canoe renaissance coming right around the corner. All those SUPers are gonna get tired of standing up all the time and will figure out with a little balance and training, you can ALSO stand up in canoes when the desire is there. I call ALL canoeists to bring a long 62" or longer paddle with them while planning a trip where SUPers frequent and then when safe and the opportunity presents itself, stand up and paddle where they can see you. I have done this a few times and I always get approached in amazement by SUPers

1 Like

The tides can change…
As things get old they become new again. I would love to see a whole new group of canoers.

SUP
never left Maine. Its been around for a hundred years.

So all of a sudden some SOCAL marketing guru got rich? PFFT. In Maine we have always stood tall in our canoe (I do admire the skill of the Wenonah guy) and poled.

https://www.backwoodsmanmag.com/images/Feature%20Article%20PDFs/featarticle_mayjune11.pdf

Canoes are forever!

@DavidRoss said:
Canoes are forever!

AMEN, BROTHER! BTW, love the MRC Courier, nice boat!

Oh yea, we are the federales; you know, the SUP board & big box store kayak police.
Show us your SUP board, or your recreational kayak!

SUP?
Kayak?
If you’re the boat police; show us "your stinking badges!

;

!

We don’t need no SUP or kayak police around here !
I’d rather be canoeing…
But, we could use some more cowbell !

BOB

Join us over on http://www.canoetripping.net/forums/ We have a few double bladers but very few yakers

As they age those SUPers will get tired of standing all day. Then they may realize that a canoe is a good option. Stand when you want, sit when you want, or kneel when you want.

@sweeper said:
Join us over on http://www.canoetripping.net/forums/ We have a few double bladers but very few yakers

OK Kevin, now I feel like you’re pickin’ on me.
I still like you, anyway.

Grandpa

I started in a canoe, then switched to Kayaks but occasionally I feel the need to haul out the OT-Pack canoe
and take that camping.

Another canoe guy here. I’ve only talked to a couple of guys on SUPs. Both were ex-whitewater canoeists whose knees could no long take the strain so they moved to SUPs.

I have quite a few kayak friends. At least a few of them think I should move “up” to a kayak. They just don’t get it. I just smile at their ignorance and paddle on. :slight_smile: