Kokatat hydration pack question.

How does the hydration pack fit in? It is an OEM kokatat hydration pack. The new kokatat pack is now a different square shape. Jacket is about 2009. I didn’t like the long back of the jacket so stopped using it. I was going to try it again for kicks. Does it fold to fit in the pocket? In the first picture the pack is bottomed out in the pocket. I can’t remember. Thanks.

That’s an odd looking pack. But do you really want to carry it on your back? I use a 1.5 L Camelback reservoir. Filled, it weighs 3.30#. Thanks to a post I read at the WaterTribe forum, got an extra hatch cover for my Samba’s stern hatch, drilled a hole in the center to accommodate the tube, and attached a magnetic tube clip to my PFD. Source Tactical sells the clips (did have to glue on two stronger magnets, though).

That worked well but the kayak I paddle now has a large oval hatch cover. Not drilling any holes in that one. This summer I tried using my Kokatat tactic pack to carry the water. On the back of my PFD. That lasted about a mile before I paddled to shore, pulled it out and stuck it behind my seat, with my skirt over the tube. That’s where I carry it now. Hated that weight on my back.

I usually use a water bottle in my deck bag or in hatches in summer. Curious I can’t remember how this went. I think I filled this with water once.

Hi There PaddleDog

Something not right? Think its the wrong bladder.
The Kokatat tributary system uses a 1.5 liter bladder that fits fine
Used it for years and love it. I think Marshall has them in stock at the River Connection give him a ring hope this helps.

https://kokatat.com/product/tributary-hydration-system-lvatrb2rd0c

https://www.the-river-connection.us/collections/outfitting-parts/products/kokatat-tributary-hydration-system-with-reservoir

I see the new one is different shape. The one I have in picture was a kokatat bladder in 2009. Still want to know how it was suppose to work.

Can’t even find a bladder image like I have online. Marshall may know.

FWIW, I have regularly had to fold a substitute hydration bladder in my Kokatat pack when I couldn’t locate the right one. Which happens slightly more often than having to use the spare key set when I am paddling regularly. I have never had it not work as long as the hose was positioned at the bottom.

On why use this system, I had various alternatives including a camel back that I carried over from biking and would never go back to other than a compatible PFD mounted pack again. Especially after I started being serious about rolling and wet work. There is nothing as easy and thoughtless as having water on your back, mounted securely at four points, even if it is not your entire supply. I just handle the weight by leaving it half full.

@celia thanks. I don’t need it filled. Still wondering if it was a kokatat bladder when I bought it. Tried searching images last night and didn’t even see a bladder with a similar cap,

@PaddleDog It does greatly resemble a Camelback thing - my biking bladder has one of those big blue seals. But it works to swap in a regular water bladder with the screw top and mouthpiece. It just may move side to side if you get wet. I suppose you could stick minicell or something in there to stop that if you wanted.

Regardless of what it is, it obviously doesn’t fit the pack. Due to the huge size of the plate that the cap screws into, folding it may not work, either. Ideally, you need to get a reservoir that fits properly, but the brand is irrelevant. Take the pack to a kayak shop, bike shop or outdoor store and see what they have that fits. With the enormous number of hydration packs on the market these days, there are bound to be multiple options that will work.

FWIW, I made a simple hydration pack for my PFD years ago and never paddle without it. I find that I stay hydrated much better than when I used to carry a bottle and I don’t have to deal with bottle-related stowing and access hassles. The bottle has be relegated to carrying extra water and living in the day hatch.

The Kokatat Tributary takes a slide bar closure 50oz (1.5l) Hydrapak, Ultraspire, etc. bladder. Others might fit by the pack you’re trying to load is the first generation Tibutary so it’s going to be a little more finicky to bladder design.

The Platy Big Lip Zip 1.5l should work too.

Hope this helps.

See you on the water,
Marshall
The Connection, Inc.
Hyde Park, NY
845-228-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile
Main: www.the-river-connection.com
Store: www.the-river-connection.us
Facebook: fb.me/theriverconnection

1 Like

Thanks Marshall I was thinking the setup was first generation because of age.

New iteration:
https://kokatat.com/magento/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/555x600/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/l/v/lvarpp2rd0-tributary-rear-pocket-red.jpg

The opposite of your scenario is I’ve had quite a few paddlers that have bladders from other packs so I have a bunch of Tributary Packs on order for The River Connection that are bladder-less. Add your own.

See you on the water,
Marshall
The Connection, Inc.
Hyde Park, NY
845-228-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile

so the new Kokatat bladder would fit better in my pack? Probably go for a new jacket soon. Figured I would try this one once again for kicks.

The Kokatat jacket I have has a longer back than my Sohlquist Trekker I have which is comfortable. The Trekker lacks some feature I would like. Was thinking of the POSEIDON PFD but seems long in the back also. PITA when you can’t compare side by side or even try on in a store. Number on top of my pack seems to indicate 2010 manufacturing date.

The Kokatat jacket I have has a longer back than my Sohlquist Trekker I have which is comfortable. Not sure if it has to do with the spray skirt. Any ideas on a kokatat with a shirt back?

I like the fit of the Poseidon but after adding on the pods and packs, it becomes circumferentially cumbersome (somewhat resembling a pineapple grenade) or curvy in areas that I am not. 'nuff said on that.

I prefer the fit of the Astral Blue Jacket and it’s whitewater armored kin the Green Jacket. Smoother profiles and cuberbund/floating sectional design makes it very comfy but with unobstructive pockets for all my stuff.

See you on the water,
Marshall
The Connection, Inc.
Hyde Park, NY
845-228-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile

1 Like

Is the back high on the astral blue or green or both? Thanks Marshall.