Difference between Winters in the North and South

Definitely do not have the traditional four seasons here in North Texas. 61 degrees yesterday afternoon and 16 this morning. I think the seasons are Dang Hot, Fall, Confused, and Tornado.

@TreeA10 said:
Definitely do not have the traditional four seasons here in North Texas. 61 degrees yesterday afternoon and 16 this morning. I think the seasons are Dang Hot, Fall, Confused, and Tornado.

Is that the part of Texas that gets “Blue Northerns”?

@TreeA10 said:

That description is hilarious. Thanks for the laughter!

Out here in the PNW, we just had a spring preview this past weekend. It was all sunshine and in the 60’s. Yesterday was nice too and right now I’m watching the sun come up after an early morning shower. Hhmm, I might load up one of the kayaks and do some paddling today.

It’s been winter cold in SC, and may get a bit of snow tomorrow here in the Piedmont.

@Overstreet said:

@TreeA10 said:

All of Texas is subject to Blue Northers. We had several in Houston.

Couple more differences:

1. light!!! About 75 more minutes of light in south Florida versus Chicago on the shortest day of the year. Doesn’t sound like much but it is!

2. based on the pics folks down south continue to paddle. Up here after about 6 weeks without liquid water, I find myself taking out a nice wood paddle and just holding it…maybe even talking to it a little. And going into the garage just to visit the boats.

When the water is hard, we northeners take advantage of it. Skiing, skating, snow shoeing and shoveling.

@Andy_Szymczak said:
When the water is hard, we northeners take advantage of it. Skiing, skating, snow shoeing and shoveling.

Those activities sound good except the shoveling.

TomL, we have an overnight trip coming up the end of February on the Ausable.

I hate it when the winter temps get up to the mid 80’s! :wink: I want at least a chill in the air during winter.

@string said:

@Overstreet said:

@TreeA10 said:

A friend of mine was doing a slip form concrete silo in Texas. A blue northern came through and took the temp from 80 to COLD so fast the concrete in the form froze.

@castoff said:
I hate it when the winter temps get up to the mid 80’s! :wink: I want at least a chill in the air during winter.

If it gets to 80 in your “winter,” what are the summers like?

80F here in the summer is a heat wave.

@Overstreet said:

@string said:

@Overstreet said:

@TreeA10 said:

A friend of mine was doing a slip form concrete silo in Texas. A blue northern came through and took the temp from 80 to COLD so fast the concrete in the form froze.

Nothing between the Arctic and Texas to slow the cold down.

@castoff said:

Well castoff I don’t know how you can get a good night’s sleep in that heat.

Rival51 - very cool. It’s good to have moving water available in the winter!

I’m content now. Put the canoe rack back on the 4Runner yesterday and we have an extended forecast with temps in the 40s so the put-ins are opening up and I plan to get out on the water some time this coming week. And - with any luck I don’t expect to see any powerboats.

@Rookie said:

@castoff said:

If it gets to 80 in your “winter,” what are the summers like?

80F here in the summer is a heat wave.

Summers are just south of hell, but we adapt and paddle on.

I haven’t been down to look but I expect that Hell (Michigan) is mostly frozen over.

@rival51 said:
I haven’t been down to look but I expect that Hell (Michigan) is mostly frozen over.

I’ll take your word for it. I spent awhile in the sun at 70° this afternoon.

@TomL said:
Well castoff I don’t know how you can get a good night’s sleep in that heat.

In the winter we generally have at least a 30 F difference at night. It was hot enough here today for me to be sweating as I sanded and varnished the wood seat and thwarts I took of my canoe. Had to be mid 70’s.

Just like the six shooter tamed the west, A/C tamed the south.
I grew up on the coast of SC and there were days when the bed sheets didn’t dry from the night before. Our summer uniform was a pair of shorts. No shirts, no shoes . We were tanned, burned, bug ate, and had really tough soles( as in feet).
Our beaches would be a lot less popular without A/C and pumped in fresh water.