Spring Ozark Rendezvous - North Fork of the White River (Missouri)

For general information, I recently read on a FB group that the floods last spring severely damaged the Army Corps of Engineers Tecumseh access to the point of being unusable as an take-out. Tecumseh is the last access point on the North Fork above Norfork Lake just after the junction of Bryant Creek. The owner’s of Dawt Mill will not allow take-out on their property under any circumstances (according to the same source) and allegedly turned away two girls who were wet and becoming hypothermic this past fall.

Although it was never among the most popular day trips, a number of us have paddled the stretch from Blair bridge to Tecumseh in prior years, which required a portage around the dam at Dawt. If what I read is accurate, the last usable access point for take-out on the North Fork at present is the highway PP bridge.

Pat C. - we all were at Pulltite for Fall Rendezvous - everything there is fine, just some trees missing near the river and more sand in campsites. There are changes in the river because of the flood, actually the flood took away some of what I considered “fun” spots but it’s still the Current and beautiful as always. I agree with Bob that the Buffalo is much more scenic but from the “talk” at Fall Rendezvous folks missed going to the North Fork/Bryant Creek, that is why I suggested every other year for the Buffalo. They are both great rivers, each has something different to offer.

North Fork this May sounds good to me. I also like the idea of alternating locations. Even years on the North Fork and odd years on the Buffalo sounds like a plan. I am still up for a few days on the Buffalo either before or after this spring’s Rendezvous.

I too have not been in a canoe since the Fall Rendezvous. After a few weeks of sub zero temperatures I am ready for springtime in the Ozarks. And although we reached 45 (above zero) today the forecast has us back below zero by this weekend.

Bob, you so crazy! I always hate to miss these. I can never make the spring version because of WW school, and I’ve been shut out of the fall version every year because of life. Maybe if some of you do decide to pre-party on the Buffy this year I’ll be able to swing that for a day or two. For future reference I will mention there are two very good restaurants near the upper Buffalo; Low Gap Cafe and Blue Mountain Cafe. Most of you are familiar with LGC I imagine, but BMC is a welcome addition to the square in Jasper and is staffed by warm, friendly folks and, unlike the Ozark Cafe which has sadly deteriorated to the point I’ll no longer eat there, also has pretty good grub, especially breakfast. There’s also a really cool place called JB Trading Company up the road in Compton that will sell you a mighty fine deli sammich, gas and necessities including firewood and top quality outdoor gear. They even have hats and t shirts and such. Worth driving right past Buffalo Outdoor Center IMO. Just sayin’.

Both trips last year rocked, buffalo was awesome! If anyone does buffalo and I’m not working I’d love to float it again… im currently off the 4th -6th… so whatever floats the boat sounds good to me.

The upper Jack’s Fork has some lovely stretches if the water is high enough this spring. They are within reasonable driving distance of Twin Bridges.

Interested in paddling the Buffalo at this Spring’s Rendezvous. Was at the spring rendezvous for several days and plan on allocating more time for trips for the spring

I’m planning on being at the spring fling this year

Is it me or is this site difficult as hell

@Ramblinjack said:

Not really, once you get used to it. Bookmark “recent discussions” and you’re gold.

@Ramblinjack said:

Everything is difficult at your age, Jack.

That’s true Pete … i Need a lil blue pill for life in general … of course if it works for more than 4hours you will have to go to the hospital to get smacked in the head with a hammer

Save yourself some money, and a trip to the hospital.
Buy your wife a slapjack for Valentine’s Day.

BOB

@thebob.com said:
Save yourself some money, and a trip to the hospital.
Buy your wife a slapjack for Valentine’s Day.

BOB

B)

Sounds like the kinda Valentine’s gift the misses would diligently use right up to her husband’s own Memorial Day. Which, with the wallop my misses packs (The Polish Panzer), takes me out about Present-dents day.

Just checking in on you guys. I’m going to try and make it or at least show my canoe for a day trip.

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that I have tried to call Twin Bridges and haven’t been able to reach anyone. I left a message several weeks ago and never received a call back, today I called again and the phone just rings, so now I have sent an email, hopefully I will hear back from them. I just want to make sure before we plan on going down there that they are still in business. Also, if you look on line it shows Hammond Camp as closed, I called today and the campground is closed but day use is open, so you can use as put in and take out. Just two more months and we’ll be somewhere!

Pam, I got through to Twin Bridges on my second phone call attempt and spoke to a real, live human. They are still there and will be open for business the first week and weekend of May.

The access at Tecumseh on the Norfork Lake will not be open, however. Cost to rebuild the boat ramp access and parking lot is estimated to be one million dollars and construction will not even begin before November 2019. This is not likely to have a great impact on our group but it will mean that there will be no practical access points below the Highway PP bridge.

http://www.ozarkcountytimes.com/news-local-news/corps-engineers-reveals-plans-tecumseh-park-restoration-include-roadway-parking-lot

Pete - thanks for the update, I was starting to get worried that they were gone. I don’t see below Highway PP being an issue, it’s been a while since I have gone past PP, to much slow water for my liking. Haven’t been on the North Fork in several years plus with the flooding I’m sure things have changed. Looking forward to seeing everyone!

Have an internet “Friend” paddling the river this week (they did Bryant yesterday) and he’s going to give me the scoop. I warned him to be particularly wary of strainers in the Hebron stretch. Wish I could paddle it this week with them, but have to work Tue, Wed, Thur, and the weekend.