Why is this so hard and why do I care?

It seems like I often take the first two or three strokes into the water with an upside down paddle blade. Between getting the skirt on, the feet on the pegs, and the hips engaged i don’t even think about the paddle blade for the first stroke or two. Once I get situated then I do a quick paddle twirl and I’m straightened out. Proper alignment means the paddler manufacturer’s name is upright.

I think a bigger deal is if you’re using a nonpower face (the back of the curvature) for forward strokes on a curved paddle blade. I hardly see anybody do that and I purposefully practice bracing with both power faces.

What is a huge deal is to try to use someones paddle that has an opposite offset- righthanded vs lefthanded. I will hand paddle before I attempt that!

Kids are easiest teach, females second, and middle aged males are more difficult. None of these groups are as difficult as me (a grumpy old ,man who is a know it all) when it comes to learning something new. For some comedy you can always take a canoe paddle and hold the blade and use the grip in the water. Makes for some entertaining video.

@tdaniel said:

Kids are easiest teach, females second, and middle aged males are more difficult. None of these groups are as difficult as me (a grumpy old ,man who is a know it all) when it comes to learning something new.

Oh, about those grumpy old men! I once was rowing the guide-boat several miles upstream on a favorite local river and encountered a canoer from the paddling club I belong to. I stopped to say hi, and found out that he was with his parents and some other family members. All were very welcoming to me, except my friend’s father (the grumpy old man), who immediately wanted to fight about what kind of boat I was rowing, and he just wouldn’t let it go. He wanted to convince me in the worst way that my boat was not an Adirondack guide-boat, but instead was a Saint Lawrence skiff (it’s not even remotely similar, but I think it was the only kind of rowboat he knew and he just had to make the idea fit). My friend, and especially his mom, just got this forlorn expression on their faces which showed they’ve been dealing with that mentality for a mighty long time and knew better than to say anything. Dan, when it comes to boat stuff, I seriously doubt you can out-grumpy that guy!

@willowleaf said:
DD, I don’t get what you mean by “it works both ways”.

I explained that I used communication techniques that kept the people working for me (male and female) from reacting negatively to correction and discipline. My interactions with those I was responsible for NEVER resulted in any complaints or conflicts that ended up in HR as you describe.

I had to be EXTRA tactful in my approach to men because I am aware there are entrenched perceptions and discomfort that many men still have to being overseen by a woman, especially in the male-dominated construction and engineering business I was in. I didn’t need to drag a “witness” in when I had to deal with disciplinary or performance issues. You have to take into account the culture of the people you are dealing with in your approach to them. You learn to sense which way you need to approach each individual. Both my male and female subordinates and peers knew I would be fair, discreet and patient with them. The guys knew I was competent but would not try to lord it over them to “prove” some sort of female dominance. And the gals knew they could not play sympathy games with me out of some gender “loyalty” in part because they knew I had been doing the same work that they were expected to do my whole career at the same level as the male employees.

I also did not hesitate to apologize to them if I made an error myself and they also knew they could come to me with any problems they had on the job with the work or with others and I would listen. Respect goes both ways, and if you respect people (by asking for their cooperation rather than demanding their obedience) they will respect you without you having to force it. With mutual respect, your HR guy can stay in his/her office and continue to play Candy Crush all day.

If HR kept having to be brought in to mediate conflicts in the business you were in there was something wrong with the culture there, not the employees. It wasn’t “political correctness”, but bad management. Sounds like a lack of clear expectations, failure to establish disciplinary guidelines, shortfalls in training managers and the resulting poor morale. Bad morale and internal employee conflicts all originate from action or inaction at the top of the organization.

I’ve worked for companies at both extremes of the good and the bad. In the bad, if I could not change or work around the poor culture, I moved on. The companies with GOOD practices and morale were a joy to work at. And those ones worked hard at it. I learned a lot from them.

Now, that’s refreshing - and a guideline that managers everywhere would do well to follow.

I still see people, even instructors using a bent shaft paddle backwards. WTF!

@paddletothesea said:

When I was down at the beach I would often see SUP paddlers with the paddle backwards. They seemed to manage without my help.

@paddletothesea said:

You thought they were instructors.

@pblanc said:
Well, at least leading a group of newbie paddlers on a trip is not as tough as what these guys do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=68&v=Pk7yqlTMvp8

I once paddled forth
in a flock of Duckheads.
Talk about herding cats!
Feathered blades to gale wind,
some reversed in rescind.
I think it was madness ersatz.

I see quite a few people with outfitter gear that inevitably use a bent shaft paddle backwards. I usually say something to them. I’m surprised the outfitters don’t at least mention in passing how to hold it, after they’ve probably upsold them on it in the first place.

When I was buying my second bent shaft canoe paddle for my then wife, I held it in my hands backwards. The sales person pointed out to me I was holding it backwards. I had been holding my own bent shaft backwards for months. It seemed right to me until I read more about them and learned why they are meant to be held a certain way. Subsequently every time I’ve brought a new paddler along in my canoe, they initially hold it backwards until i point it out to them.

I’d probably be one of those that used a bent shaft canoe paddle backwards seeing as I’ve never paddled with one, Definately wouldn’t be opposed if they made “the flats” more palitable. In general I tend to like gear that I can toss around a bit

This happens in the bicycle world a lot. A new guy joined us for a group ride some time back. He was really strong but he had some technique issues and technical issues. My buddy tried to advise him (diplomatically) about his technical issue. I don’t think he wanted to hear it. He didn’t show up for any more rides. Strong body but Dunning-Kruger mind.

So we attempt to make their experience more enjoyable by mentoring them to a higher level. But they didn’t ask for it.

I think the original question remains, " why care so much"?

If they’re having a good time , fine let 'em have at it.

Beginners seem to almost always try a bent shaft canoe paddle backwards; I think it’s because it looks more natural that way like the blade will act like a scoop.

One of the dangers of using a bent shaft backwards is that in a moving boat it’s easy to accidentally jam the paddle against the boat…resulting in a sharp u turn and a wet paddler.

I think that using the bent shaft canoe paddle is confusing to those who have never used them because the principle is the reverse of the euro kayak paddle. Kayak paddlers do most of their forward stroke in front of their hip while canoe paddler do more behind their hip. The curved 'yak blade gives more push early in the stroke while the angled canoe blade gives more late in the stroke.

@harry0244 said:
I think that using the bent shaft canoe paddle is confusing to those who have never used them because the principle is the reverse of the euro kayak paddle. Kayak paddlers do most of their forward stroke in front of their hip while canoe paddler do more behind their hip. The curved 'yak blade gives more push early in the stroke while the angled canoe blade gives more late in the stroke.

Actually, the bent-shaft canoe paddle acts to keep the blade vertical in the water during a greater portion of the stroke, no matter what. The upper hand will naturally reach farther forward than the lower hand during most of the stroke if the upper arm is fairly straight, which it needs to be to minimize the required effort (try letting your upper arm bend at the elbow to make the top grip stay directly above the blade during the whole stroke and you’ll see what I mean, and this is even very pronounced if you end the stroke as far forward as your knee). The resulting tilt of the paddle (as seen from the side) is corrected by the angled attachment of the blade. Bent-shaft paddlers, and especially racers, end their stroke quite far forward compared to those with a more lazy stroke, but still benefit from the blade being more perpendicular to the intended direction of thrust with a bent-shaft.

For what it’s worth, back when I first started solo canoeing and used a Werner Camano, I noticed that with the curved blade it was exceptionally easy to make a clean entry. It took no skill at all for the entry to be virtually perfect. And I think a “scoop” action is the intention in that case, rather than blade alignment. Consider the fact that the blades of may racing sculls have a similar curved shape. They do make curved-blade canoe paddles too, both straight-shaft and bent-shaft, again suggesting an entirely different purpose for the curve than for the angled mount.

When I instruct (advise?) noobs on using a bent paddle, I have found that it gets the point across well and is remembered when I tell them to think “broom” instead of “hoe”. That skips all the science and logic and associates it with something familiar.

@Guideboatguy said:

@harry0244 said:

Actually, the bent-shaft canoe paddle acts to keep the blade vertical in the water during a greater portion of the stroke, no matter what. The upper hand will naturally reach farther forward than the lower hand during most of the stroke if the upper arm is fairly straight, which it needs to be to minimize the required effort (try letting your upper arm bend at the elbow to make the top grip stay directly above the blade during the whole stroke and you’ll see what I mean, and this is even very pronounced if you end the stroke as far forward as your knee). The resulting tilt of the paddle (as seen from the side) is corrected by the angled attachment of the blade. Bent-shaft paddlers, and especially racers, end their stroke quite far forward compared to those with a more lazy stroke, but still benefit from the blade being more perpendicular to the intended direction of thrust with a bent-shaft.

For what it’s worth, back when I first started solo canoeing and used a Werner Camano, I noticed that with the curved blade it was exceptionally easy to make a clean entry. It took no skill at all for the entry to be virtually perfect. And I think a “scoop” action is the intention in that case, rather than blade alignment. Consider the fact that the blades of may racing sculls have a similar curved shape. They do make curved-blade canoe paddles too, both straight-shaft and bent-shaft, again suggesting an entirely different purpose for the curve than for the angled mount.

When I bought my first curved blade double paddle, I noticed more pull earlier in the stroke, but your explanation makes a lot of sense too. I guess I fell into the trap of not looking further when I had one answer. Thanks for the insight.

@harry0244 said:
Kayak paddlers do most of their forward stroke in front of their hip while canoe paddler do more behind their hip.

Actually, the power phase of a canoe stroke is done in front of the hips as well. The paddle may travel behind the hips for the correction, but the power is in the front. GBG does a good job explaining how the bent-shaft canoe paddle keeps the blade vertical during a greater portion of the stroke.

Canoe racers, use a short rapid stroke as eckilson said. Kayakers use a similar stroke however high angle kayak paddlers often carry it farther aft. Its a personal preference thing often driven by the length of the paddle.

@harry0244 said:
I think that using the bent shaft canoe paddle is confusing to those who have never used them because the principle is the reverse of the euro kayak paddle. Kayak paddlers do most of their forward stroke in front of their hip while canoe paddler do more behind their hip. The curved 'yak blade gives more push early in the stroke while the angled canoe blade gives more late in the stroke

The proper canoe stroke ends in front of the hip
Cab forward minimizes the need for correction
It’s a common beginners error to carry the stroke in back of the hip

Bent shaft are intended to provide the most vertical exit from the water to avoid lifting water and inducing boat bob