Looking for new low volume sea kayak

I’ve been paddling a Tahe Greenland T for about 7 years, which I love, but thinking about getting a new boat, well, just because. Looking at the CD Prana LV and the Stellar Intrepid LV, or maybe ordering a new Greenland T from Rebel. Anyone have experience with the Prana LV or Intrepid LV? I paddled the Cetus LV, which is a nice boat, but it’s a little heavy and pricey. I do not love boats with a strong tendency to weathercock (loved my old P&H Sirius)…any opinions welcomed!

Perhaps adding an Impex Force 3 to that list, depending on how LV you wish to go. 10.5" deck height 20" width.

See you on the water,
Marshall
The Connection, Inc.
Hyde Park, NY
845-228-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile
Main: www.the-river-connection.com
Store: www.the-river-connection.us
Facebook: fb.me/theriverconnection

I am going to paddle a Nordkapp LV in Charleston this weekend, also have a Sterling Illusion near me that I am going to try out. Marshall–I will paddle a Force 3 if I see one. Thanks!

I was hot and heavy for an Intrepid LV, before I sat in one; over the winter. I think Stellar missed the mark, a little. The back deck was a tad higher, than I expected. I think the back deck would hinder lay-backs. Also was not impressed with the thigh braces. They where small and felt flimsy to me. I doubt it would roll, like a Tahe.

I own a Nodkapp LV. It is my go to kayak, when in doubt. It rolls well, and it is at home in the rough stuff. It also is fast enough to stay with most sea kayaks. It is the best all around kayak, in my current fleet. (Also own a Impex Force 4, Eddyline Raven, Nordkapp RM and recently sold my Epic 18X). There is a Sterling for sale, near Greenville SC area.

Tahe:
I’ve got a Greenland and a Greenland T.
The Greenland (with ocean cockpit) is a lot more fun to play around in, but not comfortable for multi hour (over 3) paddles.
The T is more comfortable, but cannot ‘lay-back’ as easily as the Greenland.

Low volume:
I have a Sterling IceKap. I really love it.
I’m 5’10" with slight build and fit very comfortably in it (though try before you buy).
No day hatch (but on long trips I’m able to access the rear hatch while at (a calm) sea).
(also, light weight - 29 lbs)

I have paddled the CD Prana, but I think it must have been the standard and not the LV. I just looked on the CD website and they show no difference in the specs between the LV and the regular Prana. That has to be wrong, but anyway I think the Prana is right near the top of all the sea kayaks I have paddled–especially for that length.

The Stellar Intrepid is also very high on my list, but again, I have not paddled the LV version.

If country of manufacture makes any difference to you, the CD wins and it might even get the nod in a couple other considerations, but hopefully you will be able to paddle both.

@magooch said:

I have paddled the CD Prana, but I think it must have been the standard and not the LV. I just looked on the CD website and they show no difference in the specs between the LV and the regular Prana.

The web site lists the Prana and Prana LV as having different depths.

Thanks to all for the comments. Looking forward to getting on the water and trying some new boats in Charleston this weekend!

@rsevenic said:
@magooch said:

I have paddled the CD Prana, but I think it must have been the standard and not the LV. I just looked on the CD website and they show no difference in the specs between the LV and the regular Prana.

The web site lists the Prana and Prana LV as having different depths.

I went back and looked again and the first time it did show both boats with the same depth, so I checked again and this time the LV is 3/4ths of an inch shallower. With all the other dimensions being the same, I would be inclined to go with the standard. Sometimes that little extra at the front of the cockpit makes a big difference in getting in and out of the boat.

Either way, the Prana is a great sea kayak.

All CD HV kayaks are plus 3/4" as stated above it makes a big difference. They leave the hull 3/4" higher you will see and flat side below the seam.

I paddled a lot of different boats in Charleston, and the Prana was my favorite. The NDK Latitude was a very close second, but it was quite a bit heavier. The Nordkapp LV seat did not get along with my posterior.

I was there as well. I agree the CD Prana was the best sea kayak there. It handled nicely, had good speed and glide. The Karla LV was nice to.

I own a Nordkapp LV, it is my go to kayak, when in doubt. The stock seat was horrible. I removed it, and replaced it with a WS Tempest seat. It took abit of Dremel work, to get it to fit. I can paddle it for hours, in comfort. The Nordkapp LV is the only kayak in my fleet, I would not sell.