Spring Ozark Rendezvous - North Fork of the White River (Missouri)

@wildernesswebb said:

@PamThePaddler said:
Just a few more weeks! Can’t wait to see everyone!

Pam, do we need to make reservations at Twin Bridges for specific sites? I remember when Jim owned it, our group just set up at any of the sites in the field area?

Terry - We really only made reservations with Jim because I negotiated a lower rate for non-electric sites. Since we haven’t even been here for several years and of course the ownership has changed I don’t feel comfortable asking them to lower their rates for us (those couple of years after Jim sold they did honor his rates). I can’t imagine that there will be any large groups that week that will want the field. Also, after leaving 2 messages and sending an email that never got responded to I was a little annoyed with them so I haven’t called about reservations as Pete indicated that he was able to reach them and they said they would be open. If you call them and find out something different let us know, otherwise I was just going to show up on Tuesday and camp in the field. Now if someone needs electric they may want to call if they are looking for a specific spot.

The Dawt Mill Dam had been breached when we paddled during March. We just paddled past the Mill and took out at public gravel bar on river right near the bridge.

I called down there last week. I left my name and said I was with the group, though they didn’t make any comment about knowing about the group, now that I think about it. I didn’t know ownership had changed. They said they didn’t even need a credit card number for just a single person with a tent. I think they were talking about $10/person/night.

Didn’t Pat from Iowa (vic’s friend) say he ran that breach last time we were down there? It looked pretty dangerous and I would sure want to know about the possibility of rebar before I’d even think about trying it. If there’s a portage around on a gravel bar on the right, that would be welcome news indeed. That carry we once made on the steps and catwalk on river left was far from ideal.

See youse guys soon!

Following the drowning death of a young girl at the dam in 2016, last February excavators ripped out about 2/3 of the remaining dam structure in Feb of last year. I have not seen it since then but I gather there is now a wide open channel.

I had read on FB last year that after last Spring’s floods, the river right bank at the bridge just below the dam was a real mess with lots of deep mud and debris, making a take-out there very challenging. I gather from Downstrm’s post that has now improved.

When I made my reservation last week Don’s comment to me was, “I don’t know what rates Judy has set so I won’t take a deposit now. You have a spot.” And I will have water and electric. Their website rate for that is $125 for the week - pretty reasonable even without any discount.
Brad

@PJC said:
I called down there last week. I left my name and said I was with the group, though they didn’t make any comment about knowing about the group, now that I think about it. I didn’t know ownership had changed. They said they didn’t even need a credit card number for just a single person with a tent. I think they were talking about $10/person/night.

Didn’t Pat from Iowa (vic’s friend) say he ran that breach last time we were down there? It looked pretty dangerous and I would sure want to know about the possibility of rebar before I’d even think about trying it. If there’s a portage around on a gravel bar on the right, that would be welcome news indeed. That carry we once made on the steps and catwalk on river left was far from ideal.

See youse guys soon!

They didn’t know about the group coming down because no one down there would return my calls or emails. I just called and found out why, Judy had been out ill. I just spoke to her and told her we would all be coming down. No reservations are needed, just check in at the store when you get there. See ya’ll on Tuesday!

Not sure when Tom and I will be arriving. Will anyone be there before Monday?

As things stand, Mary and I are shooting to get there on Monday which is probably as early as I can talk her into going. But if I knew others were arriving before Monday and the weather forecast is good, I might reconsider trying to come a day earlier.

PJC told me he might possibly be arriving Sunday night.

Current plans are to arrive late on Friday evening and float Saturday. I’m thinking one day is better than no days on the river. See you all there.

@Mozark said:
Current plans are to arrive late on Friday and float Saturday. I’m thinking one day is better than no days on the river. see you there.

Will be great to see you; we’ve missed you and your Dutch oven treats!

Tentative arrival early wednesday afternoon; likely departure on saturday.

Looks like good weather through this coming tuesday; hopefully that will not mean rains sets in after tuesday…

Bob & JA

I COULD be there tomorrow, but that’s TOO soon. Tonight I’m in eastern Kansas and still east-bound. Sunday is as easy as Monday, even if I divert to Centralia to visit my daughter before dropping to Twin Bridges. Whatever others may be doing.
Brad

@pblanc said:
Following the drowning death of a young girl at the dam in 2016, last February excavators ripped out about 2/3 of the remaining dam structure in Feb of last year. I have not seen it since then but I gather there is now a wide open channel.

I had read on FB last year that after last Spring’s floods, the river right bank at the bridge just below the dam was a real mess with lots of deep mud and debris, making a take-out there very challenging. I gather from Downstrm’s post that has now improved.
This makes sense as I didn’t notice going over any dam structure at Dawt Mill. “Breached” was not the best term to describe the former dam.
There were a couple trees/large logs on the left (outer bend) which looked dangerous, since the current was swift at the mill. The right (inner bend) was wide open. The water levels were low the 3rd week of March, so it might be pushier at higher levels.

The downhome Twin Bridges crew were very gracious and helpful. Don, the cook/waiter/bartender/dishwasher/etc, was the main contact in the evening. Judy seemed to handle the bookings. Also, one of their phones shows up as an Oklahoma number if they call you. I ignored several calls from Twin Bridges thinking they were just robo calls from Oklahoma.

WiFi. Don can give you the password for it. You pretty much have to be sitting next to the restaurant or store to pick it up.

Plans changed. Headed to the Big South Fork in Tennessee. Good paddling to all. Buffalo River trip is my big interest in this area. Perhaps the fall will be a better opportunity.

@dcobky said:
Plans changed. Headed to the Big South Fork in Tennessee. Good paddling to all. Buffalo River trip is my big interest in this area. Perhaps the fall will be a better opportunity.

The Big South Fork of the Cumberland is wonderful. What section are you paddling? Day trip or over nighter?

The North Fork is currently flowing at a nice level of 1250 cfs but coming down. It looks like it should hold at a decent level for the next week. Rain is predicted for the area Thursday and possibly Friday.

The upper Jacks Fork is running around 150 cfs but coming down and will probably be too low to be attractive to paddle by early next week. But if there is significant rain on Thursday, a day trip on the upper Jacks on Friday or Saturday might be a possibility.

Just learned niece will be living with me while she goes to summer school at UW. Need to convert storage room into a bedroom. So need to cancel, since I now have to make monthly visits out to Baltimore to visit my mother in the nursing home

I am now shooting to get to Twin Bridges tomorrow evening in case anyone is there to paddle Monday. It sort of depends on how things go today, however.

I’m leaving tomorrow morning as well, hoping to get there Sun. eve. Cat/house sitting is finally tended to. This run will be with a new (to me) car and a rube goldberg trailer on a road test, so arrival time is by no means certain. The trailer vibrates more than I would like. Might be Monday if I have to retighten bolts or repair something on the road.
That dam break looks really trivial. I don’t know what had me concerned about it three years ago. Rebar fears at the bottom, I guess.
Hopefully I’ll see you tomorrow.