Kayak paddles Werner Camano vs. AquaBound Stingray Full Carbon

I have a 220 CM Camano one piece shaft that I special ordered because I went through two BB paddles that loosened up at the ferrule (I would NEVER get an adjustable length paddle). The Camano is a great paddle, but the increased square inches in the blades feel like more work for my old bones and I didn’t feel the $280 was well spent. I also have a 220 CM Aquabound Stingray that use occasionally for leisurely paddles, but never liked that ugly orange ferrule that holds it together. I had a Manta Ray that also loosened at the ferrule, and I don’t abuse my paddles, I never push off with any of them. My go to is a 220 CM Accent Air and an old Gala RS that has true carbon fiber blades. Both lock up tight as a drum and have for years.

@archman66 and @grayhawk

This is Andrew Stern, the Marketing Manager for Aqua-Bound paddles.

The String Ray Carbon has an 100% carbon fiber shaft and nylon reinforced carbon blades. We say “100% carbon” shaft because many comparable products have blended shafts, which means the inner 80% are rolls of fiberglass (which is cheaper) and the outer 20% are rolls of carbon. We say “nylon reinforced carbon” blades because the carbon fiber is encapsulated in the nylon weave through a gas-assisted injection molding process. Our patented carbon + nylon blade materials (called “abX”) is what makes it so light compared to more expensive models. So it does have carbon fibers, it’s just in a plastic blade, not a compression molded blade the Camano. The Camano compares to our Tango Fiberglass in that it has a laminated fiberglass blade that is compression molded in a wet layup. Compression molded blades do not offer the durability of a plastic blade, like the Sting Ray Carbon, but are lighter and stiffer. The Camano also has a “blended carbon” shaft, so it has minimal carbon in aggregate. .

So the Sting Ray Carbon vs. Camano Glass is not an easy or perfect comparison, but there’s the background from the manufacturing side.

In terms REI product listings, we have to select an option from a default drop down menu that REI has pre-selected, and our only option for anything carbon related is “Carbon Fiber”. That’s why you see what you do there.

@Canadice, if you’re experiencing issues with your Bending Branches paddles or Manta Ray’s loosening at the ferrule, please contact our customer service team at sales@aquabound.com and we’ll get you fixed up right away.

Thanks. Have a good one.

@AndrewStern said:
@archman66 and @grayhawk

This is Andrew Stern, the Marketing Manager for Aqua-Bound paddles.

@Canadice, if you’re experiencing issues with your Bending Branches paddles or Manta Ray’s loosening at the ferrule, please contact our customer service team at sales@aquabound.com and we’ll get you fixed up right away.

Thanks. Have a good one.

Andrew, Thanks for clarifying the comparison, it’s nice to see manufacturers monitoring discussion groups, it shows an interest that many manufacturers seem to dismiss. I appreciate the offer to help, but all my loose paddles are no longer in inventory. And although I kept the Sting Ray, it remains nice and snug.

Yes, thanks for clarifying. I DID notice that the blade material on the AquaBound website is correct and it’s a shame that REI doesn’t offer a more descriptive option in their drop down menu. I very much appreciate that AquaBound has more complete information available to us paddlers.

We have to stay connected and engaged with customers, especially their perspective on how our product is performing for them. A core value for our company is to listen and learn from our customers, and then adapt, not the other way around.

If you every have an issues with our paddles, or general paddling questions, call our live CS team at 715-755-3405. Rick, Margaret, or Brian are there to help.

I have limited experience and haven’t used a whole lot of paddles so my depth of knowledge is barely enough to drown myself. 2 years ago, I got a 230 cm Aquabound Stingray (I’m 6’3" paddling a 25in beam kayak) and have absolutely zero complaints about it. If I really dig with it, I can feel a little flutter. The ability to change blade angles on the fly to minimize wind resistance is very easy to use.

You should be able to get the stingray for less than that. I paid around 120 for mine. I use mine on creeks with lots of rocks so the nylon reinforced blades work well. Fiberglass blades would chip away. Look for sales as I did.

Andrew Stern…
Thanks for the info. Seems the interchangeability of the terms carbon/carbon fiber/graphite has been going on for over 20 years in the paddle business. To those who knew the difference it appeared to be purposely misleading.
Purposely or not REI still continues to add to the confusion when a little software fix would be all it would take to make both companies look less misleading.
This has been one of my pet peeves for a long time as you might have noticed… :wink:

One last question: would the Camano be a little beyond the skill of a beginner goven the the larger blade moving more water? I’m assuming whichever paddle I purchase will be used for several years at which time I could upgrade with more paddling experience.

@AndrewStern said:
We have to stay connected and engaged with customers, especially their perspective on how our product is performing for them. A core value for our company is to listen and learn from our customers, and then adapt, not the other way around.

If you every have an issues with our paddles, or general paddling questions, call our live CS team at 715-755-3405. Rick, Margaret, or Brian are there to help.

Have you ever considered producing a Greenland Paddle to add to your line-up?

Archy, I started with large blades and used them for years. As long as you have a body and the conditioning to use them, they are great.
As I have aged, my body now appreciates more narrow blades. The only loss in that transaction has been fast acceleration.

@archman66 said:
One last question: would the Camano be a little beyond the skill of a beginner goven the the larger blade moving more water? I’m assuming whichever paddle I purchase will be used for several years at which time I could upgrade with more paddling experience.

The Camano is fine for most beginners. Unless you progress to putting in lots of miles and time on the water, you may never need to upgrade.

The Camano is too much blade for me. I use a full carbon Epic Relaxed Tour to appease my weak muscles and joints.

The Camano is very user friendly, if you have the conditioning for it. Easier to use than any of the plastic bladed paddles that I’ve tried.

Never tried the Aquabound paddles.

The Swift Wind Swift and Mid Swift are good options, as well. Mid is similar to the Camano and the Wind has a smaller blade.

I love my Aquabound Eagle Ray carbon paddle with Posi-lock ferrule. I also have a Werner Camano that cost about $100 more, and it’s a good paddle but the ferrule system isn’t nearly as good.

They also have good customer service. A friend bought an Aquabound from me and used it for quite a while before he broke it. Aquabound either replaced it or fixed it for him.

I’m 6’0" and started off with a 230cm Aquabound Stingray carbon with my28" wide rec boat. I think it’s an excellent paddle at a very good price.

As my paddling progressed and my stroke improved I bought a 210cm Werner Cyprus for my 24" transitional kayak. Yes, it was a lot more money but it’s the probably the only paddle I’ll ever need - well maybe someday I’ll buy a GP. As good as the Aquabound is I much prefer the less obtrusive ferrule and the smoother shaft of the Cyprus. With the Aquabound both my wife (who also had one) always wore paddling gloves as we found the shaft fairly rough, now we never do. It took a bit longer to convince her that a Cyprus was also a better paddle for her but now, while we have kept the Aquabounds as spares, we haven’t actually used them in about 5 years.

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Camano. I think the Sting Ray is definitely a better value. But I took the general advice to buy the most expensive I could afford.

@archman66 said:
I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Camano. I think the Sting Ray is definitely a better value. But I took the general advice to buy the most expensive I could afford.

You won’t be disappointed.

I don’t think you will regret getting the Camano, but don’t expect your first outing to be without some adjustment. As I said before, the Camano wants to find its own center and it likes a good form. It can be used at a higher angle, but at a low angle there is a definite advantage. Your stroke can be lengthened a bit and you will never be lifting water. Some might not think this is the best form, but I’ve tried everything and this works best for long distance. You will still have to go high with short choppy strokes when you sprint, or want to catch waves.

Here’s a tip that I find most new paddlers haven’t figured out yet. Move the drip rings up the shaft so they never touch the water. Oh and one thing more; learn how to bow rudder.

Thanks for the advice. I’m definitely going to taking some lessons from an ACA certified instructor.

Don’t be afraid to experiment for yourself, but it might help to watch some videos on YouTube to get some ideas. When I say to learn the bow rudder, I would suggest you point the paddle more toward the bow instead of vertical like most of the videos will show.