Should a 260 lbs guy buy this cheap Chinese Kayak? Will it hold?

The overall weight capacity does seem a bit high given the dimensions. If you are 260 pounds and have a bunch of gear, this boat likely will sit rather low.

Here in the States, we don’t see rotomolded kayaks from China much, as the costs go up so much for shipping that it is kills any cost benefit. Most of the boats we see are still made here in the States. So can’t really comment about the quality of it.

In general, this is a very short boat which won’t like to paddle in a straight line well. Good for smaller ponds or narrow slow moving rivers. If you will be on larger water, you may want a longer boat. If you are headed to the coast for open water boating, you definitely would want something longer (I personally would go at least 12 feet).

You do have at least one African brand that is supposed to be good, and they have fishing kayaks - Stealth Kayaks. http://stealthkayaks.co.za/. I think mostly composite boats, so may be out of your price range.

Thanks a lot. This helps

Update: So I have since bought a different kayak that I found. It is called the Pioneer Ambition Angler. Its dimensions are Length 2.97m, Width 80cm, Height 30cm, Weight 22kg, Capacity 130kg. Although it does say the carrying capacity is 130kg (280 lb) I was worried this may be a false claim. Well, the kayak is holding up very well and is very comfortable and feels safe. So if anyone else out there is a heavier guy considering getting a fishing sit-on-top do not shy away from kayaks with these dimensions.

1 Like

Great that you found a suitable kayak. Just curious how the fishing in Zimbabwe is. What sort of gamefish are available?

These are all great “Starter” Kayaks As far as capacity goes my Hobie Outback is 12’-6" long 33.25 wide and the capacity sticker says 419 lb. I am 200lbs and do not overload. I fish the Ocean, Bays, Lakes and rivers. This is made in the USA and is probably the most versatile and most used fishing kayak in the world. Price 2,300 with everything included. I needed to build up to my “Lexus” of Kayaks. I’m glad I made it.

Looks perfect. Thanks for the update.

It’s good to know you found a suitable kayak for you

Glad to see you found a boat now lets us see what you catch.

@BrianSnat said:
Great that you found a suitable kayak. Just curious how the fishing in Zimbabwe is. What sort of gamefish are available?

Very late response but here goes: fishing is Zimbabwe is great. I am mostly fishing for bass (an exotic if not invasive species here). Other people fish for bream (this is a general term, essentially local species resembling bigger bluegill), catfish etc. Africa’s record bass was caught here (18lbs)

@SpinfisherBob said:
These are all great “Starter” Kayaks As far as capacity goes my Hobie Outback is 12’-6" long 33.25 wide and the capacity sticker says 419 lb. I am 200lbs and do not overload. I fish the Ocean, Bays, Lakes and rivers. This is made in the USA and is probably the most versatile and most used fishing kayak in the world. Price 2,300 with everything included. I needed to build up to my “Lexus” of Kayaks. I’m glad I made it.!

The Hobie seems like a great kayak. STill way out of my budget. My dream kayak is actually the Jackson Big Rig

@P4ddl3r said:
It’s good to know you found a suitable kayak for you

Great. Am loving it. My wife is practically a widow now.

@kentpil said:
Glad to see you found a boat now lets us see what you catch.

2 Likes

@BrianSnat said:

Invasive species endemic to Zimbabwe is largemouth bass (thanks Ray Scot & USA), local gamefish available in certain parts is Tigerfish, my favourite but rarely caught is Nembwe/Robbie/Serranochromis Robustus

The bottom line is that cheap Chinese kayaks are just that… cheap!
You are trusting your life to that boat so only you can decide how much your life is worth!

@Zimbabwe Kayaker said:
Update: So I have since bought a different kayak that I found. It is called the Pioneer Ambition Angler. Its dimensions are Length 2.97m, Width 80cm, Height 30cm, Weight 22kg, Capacity 130kg. Although it does say the carrying capacity is 130kg (280 lb) I was worried this may be a false claim. Well, the kayak is holding up very well and is very comfortable and feels safe. So if anyone else out there is a heavier guy considering getting a fishing sit-on-top do not shy away from kayaks with these dimensions.

Why all the straps? Looks like they could be a entanglement hazard.

Why all the straps? Looks like they could be a entanglement hazard.

They are for my unique roof rack. Very handy to pop it back up and strap it on quickly. They are however a nuisance to remove so I just keep them on there permanently. When I ride they are all inside the boat to minimise entanglement risk.

It seems that if there is anything that can possibly snag, wrap, bind, or twist anywhere near me it will happen, but that’s me.
I am a bit of a klutz.

@string said:
It seems that if there is anything that can possibly snag, wrap, bind, or twist anywhere near me it will happen, but that’s me.
I am a bit of a klutz.

Had not thought about that. Your fears make sense. Might actually remove them…

Nice catch.

Awesome, glad to see you found a kayak that works for you! Cool seeing kayakers from other parts of the world and funny for us here to hear about Bass being an invasive! We have the Snakehead and Flying Catfish from I think China to deal with here!