Question for any Adirondack NY paddlers

We are looking at Little Tupper Lake or lake Lila for a day paddling trip in September.
Can any one who has done either comment on which would be the better.?
We like complete wilderness and Lake Lila sounds like it would fit.
Wondering is the .03 mile portage to the put in flat or a mountain goat path?

Neither are complete wilderness. But timing is key and you might well find some good solitude on both… Lilas portage has some wide steps downhill. Its entirely manageable and not a mountain goat path… Its quite wide.

LTL has a deserved reputation for being a wild child. Its apt to kick up its heels. The sites are well separated and frankly while Lila has better beaches. LTL has better hidey spaces.

No need to commit to either till you arrive for the day. LTL and Round Pond can gobble up your entire day. Lila and Shingle Shanty Brook not quite so much but its still satisfying for me.

Camped on both multiple times. For some reason I like Round Pond the best. Its got moosey meanders and rocky inlets and a very nice beach that I have camped on for a week.

Many thanks !
That solidifies it, wheather permtting we’ll head there

I just looked at the little chart again and hadn’t realized that round lake could be done the same day via that brook.
That all looks good !
I am sure it will all be clear when we get there, but would you park and take off from the LTL headquarters, or at the brook that leads to Round Lake ?

Once again, many thanks. It is always good to have informative paddlers brains to pick

https://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/9165.html

G’day JackL…I live in the Adirondacks and have paddled the areas you mention many times throughout the years.
I would suggest that you camp at Round Lake. Campsite #5 is the best on this lake. It sits on a point and sunsets are spectacular. You also have access to a long sandy beach for swimming and the trailhead to the Whitney Pond sections for hikes. On another day you may decide to paddle Little Tupper Lake. You can spend all day on that lake. What I also suggest is that you paddle your boat to the Round Lake access or the Little Tupper launchsite. Pack you kayak(s) on the roof of your car and drive to Lila for a day paddle. Beware: the dirt road to Lake Lila is an adventure, bu once there this little lake is a true gem…let me know if I can answer any questions for you in the future…Regards…

@pitmartin said:
G’day JackL…I live in the Adirondacks and have paddled the areas you mention many times throughout the years.
I would suggest that you camp at Round Lake. Campsite #5 is the best on this lake. It sits on a point and sunsets are spectacular. You also have access to a long sandy beach for swimming and the trailhead to the Whitney Pond sections for hikes. On another day you may decide to paddle Little Tupper Lake. You can spend all day on that lake. What I also suggest is that you paddle your boat to the Round Lake access or the Little Tupper launchsite. Pack you kayak(s) on the roof of your car and drive to Lila for a day paddle. Beware: the dirt road to Lake Lila is an adventure, bu once there this little lake is a true gem…let me know if I can answer any questions for you in the future…Regards…

Many thanks, but we won’t be camping there.
We just have one day and were wondering where it is best to park and launch ?
Perhaps you could suggest which would be best for a one day paddle for people who have never been there before?
There will be five of us with two canoes and one kayak. We will have two vehicles

You guys can paddle 14 miles easy… Put in at the DEC Whitney HQ, paddle up to the outlet of Round Lake ( 15 min) around RL 2 hours and back then down LTL to the outlet to Rock Pond.

The launch at the Round Creek Outlet is not as easy as the Whitney HQ launch; it is short but steep

https://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/lands_forests_pdf/mapwhitney.pdf

@kayamedic said:
You guys can paddle 14 miles easy… Put in at the DEC Whitney HQ, paddle up to the outlet of Round Lake ( 15 min) around RL 2 hours and back then down LTL to the outlet to Rock Pond.

The launch at the Round Creek Outlet is not as easy as the Whitney HQ launch; it is short but steep

https://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/lands_forests_pdf/mapwhitney.pdf

Many thanks, We’ll copy that chart and bring it with us

Paddled Little Tupper a few years back in October 2016. We saw no others on the lake. Here are a few pictures from that trip.

@dc9mm said:
Paddled Little Tupper a few years back in October 2016. We saw no others on the lake. Here are a few pictures from that trip.

Wow !
That looks beautiful.
We usually spend one day after the 90 miler each year paddling a different place . That is where we wanted to go, but the weather was NG. We’ll try again this year if we get up there.

Thanks for sharing