Advice on a stable kayak for fishing

I’m looking for a fun kayak that I also can fish from. Stability is my first priority. Easy to move around is second. Easy to paddle against a current is third. I’m looking for something that has what have become fairly standard fishing features these days… transducer compatible scupper, stadium seat, good size compartments right in front of you, etc. I’m open to suggestion, but I believe I’ve narrowed my choices down to a few.
OK Big Game II
Vibe Sea Ghost (either the 110 or 130)
Malibu Stealth 12
Malibu X Factor
I’d like to find something in the $800-900 price range, so I’d be looking for used on the BGII and the Malibus. And new on the Vibe. Plus I believe the Malibus gained a lot of weight at some point, and I’d prefer to keep the weight at 70lbs or less. Aren’t the 2014/2015/2016 models of the Malibus in that weight range?
Of these, which would be the most stable? I’m leaning towards the Vibe or the BGII. So particularly interesting in hearing about stability between those two. I look at the weight first, then the width and carrying capacity. If those numbers aren’t good, I don’t need to look any further. I’ve considered a bunch of different kayaks, but keep coming back to the ones listed. But gain, I’m open to and would appreciate any suggestions.

Easy to paddle upstream with your desired outfitting? Good luck.

Have you found your boat yet?

I fish from a Tarpon 120. I’m 6’, 170#.
Beautiful boat. Lots of storage and open deck space. Comfortable seat. Rack mounts for rod holders, fish finder, etc. My transducer is puttied to the hull inside the hold.
Easy to mount and dismount from. I believe it weighs just under 70#.
Stability when seated is rock solid.
I CAN stand up on my kayak, but I rarely do. If standing is important to you then you might want to look at other makers.
New, the Tarpon 120 is about $900US I think.
Paddling against a current is obviously more labor intensive than not, but I paddle upstream a lot. It’s not a needle-shaped racing kayak, so of course you’ll have to put your back into it a bit, but then you’re after a stable fishing platform, not a speed demon.
Best of luck to you in your search…

@Jb2sea said:
I’m looking for a fun kayak that I also can fish from. Stability is my first priority. Easy to move around is second. Easy to paddle against a current is third. I’m looking for something that has what have become fairly standard fishing features these days… transducer compatible scupper, stadium seat, good size compartments right in front of you, etc. I’m open to suggestion, but I believe I’ve narrowed my choices down to a few.
OK Big Game II
Vibe Sea Ghost (either the 110 or 130)
Malibu Stealth 12
Malibu X Factor
I’d like to find something in the $800-900 price range, so I’d be looking for used on the BGII and the Malibus. And new on the Vibe. Plus I believe the Malibus gained a lot of weight at some point, and I’d prefer to keep the weight at 70lbs or less. Aren’t the 2014/2015/2016 models of the Malibus in that weight range?
Of these, which would be the most stable? I’m leaning towards the Vibe or the BGII. So particularly interesting in hearing about stability between those two. I look at the weight first, then the width and carrying capacity. If those numbers aren’t good, I don’t need to look any further. I’ve considered a bunch of different kayaks, but keep coming back to the ones listed. But gain, I’m open to and would appreciate any suggestions.

Well if its up to me My Favorite is Vibe Ghost 110 and Lure 10 I think it would be the perfect choices for you, the stability and also the price range would be meet with these both! anyhow let me know what your choice? :slight_smile:

where is a good place to look for used fishing kayaks in the Brick Township area of the Jersey shore? my first foray into kayak fishing so looking for the basics to go in Barnegat Bay and surrounding coves. Type of kayak advice also welcomed. thanks.