Fall Ozark Rendezvous

We’re a planning to come… We’ll bring our new to us Yellowstone tandem.
We will be suitably prepared for High Tee…
PS we will have shower in our trailer for anyone needing one! Yes we are old and degenerate. The last time I camped at Pulltite the rains came and my sleeping mattress was floating in water!

Very good. It will be nice to see you two degenerates.

@pblanc said:
Very good. It will be nice to see you two degenerates.

And we need to pick brains out of the composite brains of all. With so many half wits it ought to add up to more than a whole brain.

My husband divorced his camping sleeping mate. The EXPED pad let him down three times every night. We need a new bed partner.

I am fairly confident that if enough people show up, we can probably manage a collective IQ of 100 and possibly even higher.

We plan on being there the entire week. And if kayakmedic thinks he has cushy digs, wait until you see the new motorhome we have. Suitable for 3+ month trips that these two snowbirds intend on taking. I actually had to check that we would fit into the campground. We got a reservation beginning the weekend before the official rendezvous since they are still taking reservations then. We actually start this trip in late September and end just before Thanksgiving.

(The other) Pam and Kevin

I am not a he! but those darn phones… We spend three months a year travelling a year… Our neighbors at home always ask where is the next trip.!
a 20 foot trailer isn’t cushy but comfy… it gets us where we want to go and allows us to store it and take off on canoe trips then come back to it… Canoe Pam, can you get boats on your motorhome or do you tow a car?

We can share telling each other where to go! Ooh…fit… That is an issue sometimes which is why we went tiny but above rolling bed!

We are always looking into other people s RV’s ( with permission).

Yes as Pete alluded to we are all aging toward degeneracy!

Oops, sorry kayakmedic. My memory is definitely walking south. My kids give me grief about “camping” in the metal monster, but I let them know I am not camping, I am RVing. I still camp occasionally. For example we are heading to Fall Lake in mid September in a motorcycle camper with a decent bed but no inside kitchen, no shower, etc. That’s a lot of fun for a while, but it gets old as I get old! We are gone between 6 and 8 months a year doing assorted trips, some longer than others. We tow a Jeep Grand Cherokee so the boat goes on top of it and the bikes hang on the back. Tows 4 down so easy to connect and disconnect.

We are also considering getting a new river boat in a lighter material than Royalex. We have a Novacraft Prospector now, a lovely boat but heavy. My bad back and Kevin’s bad knees are catching up to us. We will pick people’s brains at the Rendezvous.

I plan on being there for a few days this fall as well. Mozark

I’d like to join y’all. I’d be coming from NC. I assume this is mostly flat-water level 1-2.

@jonafire said:
I’d like to join y’all. I’d be coming from NC. I assume this is mostly flat-water level 1-2.

Its moving… Class 2 is a stretch… Unless its flooded you just need to float and avoid the occasional gravel bar. its a laid back event rather than technical paddling… We hope to see you there after all the excitement from the hurricane parade.

@jonafire said:

There is nothing close to what I would call Class II at the normal levels one can expect in mid-October. There are some shallow Class I riffles where the ability to maneuver around rocks is desirable.

Far and away the greatest potential hazard are strainers, typically the rootwads of uprooted trees. These are usually easily spotted well in advance, but depending on water levels, there might be little available leeway to maneuver around them at times. In such cases, carrying around them is usually very easy.

As long as you have some basic water reading ability and boat control there should be no problem. Where in North Carolina?

Coming from Greensboro. We expect some wind and rain from Florence but we are far enough inland to avoid the worst winds and rain. I noticed all the sites at Pulltite are already reserved. Since 1 RV and 1 tent are allowed Is there any chance I could pitch my tent in one of the group’s sites.

@jonafire said:
Coming from Greensboro. We expect some wind and rain from Florence but we are far enough inland to avoid the worst winds and rain. I noticed all the sites at Pulltite are already reserved. Since 1 RV and 1 tent are allowed Is there any chance I could pitch my tent in one of the group’s sites.

There are no reservations during the Rendezvous dates at Pulltite. The X you see means that the reservation season has ended . The campground is first come first served… Others correct me if I am wrong but I have never seen the campground full during Rendezvous

Yes, you can share a site but you should have no trouble finding one of your own. After October 15 is the off-season and no reservations are taken. There is lots of room at the campground.

Awesome thanks - Going on my calendar.

Out of curiosity, what rivers have you paddled in North Carolina?

@wildernesswebb said:

@pblanc said:
Well, I plan to be there if I am not dead.

Heheh, not to put too fine a point on it, huh, Pete (LOL)? Can’t wait to see you and Mary! As a matter of fact, can’t wait to see Pam & Rob, Pat, heck…ALL of you! Now that I’ve had a “Tune up” and had some new hardware added to the old ticker, I should be good to go. MUCH better than the run down model of me that arrived at the last few Rendezvous’!

I was just talking to someone from the BWCAW website who’s moving down here to the western side of the Ozarks about the Rendezvous as well as a few others from BWCA.com that I’ve met this summer. So Vic, and Dick, you may have some company representing the “Iowa contingent!”

We will probably be there Tuesday? That’s what I’m shooting for. Here’s a link to Pulltite Campground and if anyone’s interested in “Cushier” digs, there are cabins and lodge rooms at nearby Echo Bluff State Park. Also I’ll post a link to pictures from past Rendezvous, LOOKING FORWARD TO IT!

Pulltite/Recreation.gov: https://www.recreation.gov/camping/pulltite/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=75221
Echo Bluff: https://echobluffstatepark.com/accommodations/the-lodge/
Past Fall Ozark Rendezvous’: http://www.pbase.com/ozarkpaddler/fall_ozark_rendezvous&view=slideshow

Beautiful place.

So Jo Anne and I just did a couple days paddling the Current and camping at Pulltite. We did Akers to Pulltite and Pulltite to Round Spring. On Friday we didn’t see anyone else on the river, Saturday there were some larger groups out there but not the weekend warrior types. I think we were the only two women in the campground! Did some fishing and took our time on the river. River was low but we never had to walk anything. Fall was in the air and some of the trees are already starting to change. Looking forward to seeing everyone in a few weeks and looking forward to meeting some new folks!

Well, we plan on a Tuesday afternoon arrival, camp set up. Paddle Wed, Thur, home Friday as I will have to work one last weekend at my soon to be former employer. My friend Mary Blanc has encouraged me greatly in this endeavor. In the long run, I’ll see my friends and family much more and not spend weekends away from home. If anyone is staying over into the next week, paddling then would be a possibility to be discussed.

It will be SO good to see you! I don’t think we can stay cause all those New England Colors will be piling up in the yard while we are away… If we were to ignore them too long they freeze into a unhappy mess.