Winter Storage Plastic Sea Kayak

You can also use cloth or even window screens to cover the hatches, while letting air in and out but not critters. Cloth is easy, just get a length of bungee and tie it into a loop so that when stretched, it holds the cloth on. No need to do anything other than have a flat piece of cloth, though you can be more sophisticated if you want. I have read about window screen, but not tried it.

4" webbing from eBay hatches in and shrink wrap or tarp 6 x 20

Mine is a Grumman aluminum 17’ at 75 lbs. Long wood screws onto fence + weather resistant ropes. I then thread ropes through insulation foam tubes, which were bought from plumbing department of Home Depot. Or use pool noodles. Then add weather resistant tape to strengthen foam tubes.

For cold winter and plastic canoes, you may want to wrap tarp around. Spray UV protection solution 303 in summer.

@PaddleDog52,

Where did you get those support bracket frames? Your black plastic frame on right of the photo does not look like DIY. Thanks.

Traditionally it was felt that plastic kayaks should have the biggest weight impact in storage kinda on their sides. They are usually stronger there than on the deck or the hull. But I could name exceptions. Just make sure that whatever they are on is soft, not hard for example if straps pad the traps. That kind of thing.
Hatch covers will be safest inside. Sometime over the winter treat them with 303.

@l2t said:
Don’t like the idea of leaving the hatch covers off. I live next to the woods and critters (mice, chipmucks, squirals, coons, mustkat, beaver, etc.) are everywhere. Would thoroughly drying, then hanging outside upside down, hatches and cockpit cover on, support at four points on foam be okay?

No I understand but we have Valley covers and if left outside below zero they crack… Mice do manage anyway to gnaw through my Sterilite containers. Last year they shredded three PFD’s. It seems the more snug the space is the more they like it.

@zzffnn said:
@PaddleDog52,

Where did you get those support bracket frames? Your black plastic frame on right of the photo does not look like DIY. Thanks.

Home Depot saw horses two foam blocks. Notched blocks to fit over the horses. Tied to fence because it gets windy on the water.

SOTs above are upside-down in rack on 4" nylon webbing.

Added long feet on this because when I pull it out of water on the decking I put nose up and slide the 22’ Libra XT 100 lb. Feet are 6’ 2x6 so it doesn’t tip them over from sliding.

Low stand with 4" webbings

Needs beach ball to prevent pooling water over cockpit.

One on foam blocks on a bench strapped or tied tight so it doesn’t blow off.

Looking at the broad leaf plants in the last pic, I should emphasizes that I’m in New England where it gets well, below freezing. While It typically won’t be in the single digits except during cold snaps, a really cold morning could be -8F.

Plants on Long Island NY

Planting annuals then, or digging up tubers in fall. Hot plants for a cool climate.

I dig them all up wash and store in basement of my another house. All that canis and elephant ear bulbs. Fill my 8’ pickup truck bed with a crown. Hundreds of them. Lots and lots of work. Every year I say last year.

I didn’t dig mine up last fall and they rotted. I will this year.

Winter? What is that?