Winter Storage Plastic Sea Kayak

Low stand with 4" webbings

Needs beach ball to prevent pooling water over cockpit.

One on foam blocks on a bench strapped or tied tight so it doesn’t blow off.

Looking at the broad leaf plants in the last pic, I should emphasizes that I’m in New England where it gets well, below freezing. While It typically won’t be in the single digits except during cold snaps, a really cold morning could be -8F.

Plants on Long Island NY

Planting annuals then, or digging up tubers in fall. Hot plants for a cool climate.

I dig them all up wash and store in basement of my another house. All that canis and elephant ear bulbs. Fill my 8’ pickup truck bed with a crown. Hundreds of them. Lots and lots of work. Every year I say last year.

I didn’t dig mine up last fall and they rotted. I will this year.

Winter? What is that?

@string said:
I didn’t dig mine up last fall and they rotted. I will this year.

If I forget a few they come back next year but most just rot. They just keep multipling. Only bought 10 of each years ago.

@Peter-CA said:
Winter? What is that?

That’s when the snowbirds arrive. Oh, excuse me, “seasonals”.

:smiley:

Thermoform’s tough. I kept one Eddyline boat outdoors all winter, resting on a couple of well padded shelf brackets screwed into the side of my garage under the eave facing south. Hatch covers and cockpit cover on, deck facing the wall. Uncovered, but did put 303 on the hull late fall after it was washed and thoroughly dried. Kayak overwintered just fine and is now paddled by its new owner. That’s where my Samba will winter, but the other two will have more posh accommodations at a community pool which offers kayak storage.

@Rookie said:
…but did put 303 on the hull late fall after it was washed and thoroughly dried…

Does 303 go only on the hull?

Inside and out or just outside?

Any issue if it got on the hatch covers?

How much would be needed for a 17’ kayak and would a 16oz spray bottle do it?

@l2t said:

@Rookie said:
…but did put 303 on the hull late fall after it was washed and thoroughly dried…

Does 303 go only on the hull?

Inside and out or just outside?

Any issue if it got on the hatch covers?

How much would be needed for a 17’ kayak and would a 16oz spray bottle do it?

Hull is great, deck fine too. It’s a UV protectant but I wouldn’t put it in my cockpit because it makes the surface slippery. You definitely want to apply it to the inside and outside of your rubber hatch covers a few times a year as it will extend their life and keep them pliable.

You spray/wipe it on lightly, then buff it off. Instructions are on the bottle. You’ll have plenty left over in that 16 ounce bottle. I also use it on my neoprene gloves at the end of the season. Some plastics in my car, etc. Good stuff.

@Rookie

I noticed 303 has a few different protectants, some with similar names. I assume I don’t need the fabric protector.

I see –

• Marine Aerospace Protectant, UV Protectant for Boats and Patio Furniture.
  • UV Protectant for Paddleboards and Kayaks, Prevents Fading and Cracking.

Do you have an exact name and/or link to which 303 to use?

@l2t

I’ve always used Marine Aerospace Protectant. Wasn’t aware of a separate product for paddleboards since I don’t own one.

Did find this blurb about the paddleboard formula at Amazon from the manufacturer: “This product is different in that it is meant to withstand harsh aquatic environments and therefore last longer than the original 3030« Aerospace Protectant. However it does offer the same UV resistance.” Wonder how they define a “harsh aquatic environment.”

I also use the 303 Fabric Guard on my nylon spray skirt, kayak covers and drysuit. I should buy stock in the company…

I buy it by the gallon on eBay was like 55 shipped.

I quit using it because it left an oil slick on the water. I use yacht wax now.

No oil in it. And you buff it when dry. Never seen an slick of any type.

When I read a comment here about residue in the water, I looked carefully when I paddled my Fathom after applying 303 and buffing the hull. Never saw any. Maybe that’s because I didn’t paddle it immediately after the application; think it was a day or two later. I did buy Meguiar’s Flagship Premium Marine Wax for the Prana in an attempt to clean up the hull. That’s how I discovered a couple spider cracks in the gelcoat at the bow - the wax filled them in and made them visible.