First Nor'easter This Weekend!

It’s a classic New England pattern. Jetstream will dip down to the mid-Atlantic and bring up a low system just along the coast for Saturday into Sunday. Too warm for snow just yet. But, rain and some good surfable swells for Mass Bay for a couple days. Perfect, with the warmer weather surfers thinning out at the homebreak. :stuck_out_tongue:

Cowabunga!!!

sing

I find it interesting that here in the south we have what we call nor’easters that blow from the nor’east and disrupt our docks and tides bringing waves and flooding all year. Then some how the weather people get all excited and talkety about a Nor’easter without snow in New England. Regional differences………

@Overstreet said:
I find it interesting that here in the south we have what we call nor’easters that blow from the nor’east and disrupt our docks and tides bringing waves and flooding all year. Then some how the weather people get all excited and talkety about a Nor’easter without snow in New England. Regional differences………

In the summer, the jetstream is more flat and the systems are very progressive, quick shooting across. Otherwise we get the heat/humidity generator of the “Bermuda High” - a high pressure system that would stall right near Bermuda for days and pump up a warm/humid SW wind.

As a surfer in MassBay, the summer means pond-like conditions on our breaks because Cape Cod blocks the incoming southerly wind swells. That means having to travel down to RI or up to NH and ME to get some of the swells generated by a Bermuda High.

Come fall/winter, the jet stream begins to dip down to the mid-atlantic and bend back up the coast, passing just east of Cape Cod. Low disturbances ride along this dipping jetstream and come up, bringing us the loved (or hated) classic nor’easters. Me… I love these storms. They always bring one to three days of good surf to the homebreak. A 20 minute ride at dawn to the hombreak, I can get my next fix of adrenaline and endorphins that can last for days. :slight_smile:

Others here go on about their beautiful warm water, hot weather, sunsets, paddling paradise, etc. Sorry, I am not much of “Pond Atlantic” paddler. I just don’t get excited about launching a kayak and wetting a paddle. these days. My paddling passion kicks in most usually around storms. That’s when I want to be out. Taking on textured water and riding waves. Just different strokes… As the description for this forum says, “whatever floats one’s boat…”

PS. For me, the “paddling season” really kicks in when the nor’easters begin. Summer is “fishing on a SOT” season.

sing

who said no snow?
we have had some and more expected
These Noreasters can have hurricane force winds especially if they undergo bombogenesis
Yes thats a word. Usually happens north of Sing

I think of New England surf as either flat or terrifying, after Columbus day cold and terrifying, and after you set the clocks back, cold dark and terrifying. At some point you can add in ice.
I’m becoming a fair weather paddler, September and October are my favorite months, although I do appreciate it when the crowds thin out. And the boardies out there year round will start to acknowledge your presence.
According to the forecast, looks like Monday should be fun.

@kayamedic said:
who said no snow?
we have had some and more expected
These Noreasters can have hurricane force winds especially if they undergo bombogenesis
Yes thats a word. Usually happens north of Sing

Yup. Heard from my western Maine neighbors. Measurable white stuff came down hard yesterday in the foothills and mountains yesterday.

We had lots of thunder and lightening yesterday and downpours. No snow but I had a brisk and breezy ride to work this morning.

sing

Folks in Bangor and north of Farmington had their first driving in snow refresher… Seems like a few people forgot last years lessons… We’ve not had to plow snow yet here but are frantically trying to get leaves off paths and driveway before they freeze and are buried !

A Pond(erous) Mid-Atlantic Perspective (R-not?)

“Wa hav’n no’easta,”
said the Southie blown on keista.
“Da oshin juz scotian inta boss-tin.”

“Thenz fudda south
it dropzchin within Falmouth,
whethuh weatha ya seez in it loss uh win.”

“No Easter, you say?
Good Lord, what’s at play?
Is there cross-up without resurrection?”

“And r you not sure
weather speech can’t be cured,
by Roy Rogers Double-R-Bar lunch selection?”
(Thus improving all points huRRicane detection.)
(A National Talk Like a Pirate Day’s table of rhumbs confection…arrrrrrrrgh so they say.)

I like clapotis.
I like wind and wave.
But comes a point when it storms dis joint,
fah-fah betta leeward my thing I do save.

And this concludes my iRRational deprave.

Timing is good, as storm arrives late Friday and continue through Saturday. Sun breaks out on Sunday. Supposed to be medium period, chest to shoulder high swells, with an offshore wind.

How good is that!?

sing

Hope you get some good rides. Sunday looks like it should be fun, if you can believe the surfcast, and sounds like it’s going to warm up.
I’m probably going to shoot for Monday morning after I drop the kid off at school, 9am low tide should work well for that, and a bit more manageable (for me) in size.
You’ve got me thinking about swapping out the surf kayak for a waveski. It sucks stuffing myself into a boat designed for a much smaller person, not that surf kayaks are comfortable to begin with. It’s either that or get a custom surf kayak designed for my bigger frame, and that’s kind of a shot in the dark.
For the Islands waveskis, is a wood stringer and inegra top and bottom worth it for the layup?

@Johnnysmoke said:
Hope you get some good rides. Sunday looks like it should be fun, if you can believe the surfcast, and sounds like it’s going to warm up.
I’m probably going to shoot for Monday morning after I drop the kid off at school, 9am low tide should work well for that, and a bit more manageable (for me) in size.
You’ve got me thinking about swapping out the surf kayak for a waveski. It sucks stuffing myself into a boat designed for a much smaller person, not that surf kayaks are comfortable to begin with. It’s either that or get a custom surf kayak designed for my bigger frame, and that’s kind of a shot in the dark.
For the Islands waveskis, is a wood stringer and inegra top and bottom worth it for the layup?

None of my waveskis have a wooden stringer to give it extra strength. Frankly, am not sure it is really needed because waveskis are deeper than the average surf board. Including the long board. Of course, you are heavier than me. I also never used the extras on the layup to make it "tougher. The holes and cracks I have gotten are from when I get caught on the inside on my rocky homebreak and I get driven into the rocky bottom. No extra lay-up or special material is going to stop damage when hitting a rock at high speed… You just need to learn epoxy and glass repairs on for those occasions. The only option that I think it’s important is having a goretex valve installed. I had one of my waveski delaminate when I left in a hot car. :frowning: This is when the fiberglass skin separates from the foam core because of the increased internal pressure from expanded air in the foam. The goretex valve will allow the pressure to escape before delamination happens. That delamination forced me to learn how to do waveski repairs, FWIW.

The only other suggestion I would make is to go with the no-frills Big Boy Longboard. it’ll let you catch rides on the smaller wave days so you can get used to waveskiing. The bigger waveski will then provide stability and speed in paddling out through the break zone on the bigger days when you are ready to take that on. You are not going to get big air with a longboard. But, you will be able to do responsive cutbacks, top and bottom turns that offer more than enough fun. Plus, you will have the added safety of being able to remount the ski or simply hang on to the foot and/or lap straps and paddle it in like a body board. Way, way, way more safe than trying to swim in with half submerged surf kayak if you should blow your roll.

sing

Yeah, checked the forecast again. Sunday is looking really good. The timing of the tide makes it perfect to hit the outer reef break if the lineup for the near shore break is too crowded

Me thinks if it’s Sunday and warm it will be crowded, unless the soxs are playing late Saturday night. Might be some Fenway fever going around for the next few days.

I am so loopy from the first two, back-to-back games. Normally, I am in bed around 10 and snoring before 10:30. My wife asked why I was up so late. I told her it was the world series and I have to watch. She laughed and said, I was going to regret it…

(sleepy) sing

We got double overhead – 12’ @ 10 seconds. That’s too big and too tight in intervals for me. Have to see if the swells will settle down and spread out as the morning progresses.

For sure there’ll still be surfable (and cleaner) waves tomorrow and the day after.

sing

Hmph, and I always thought Easter was in the spring.

So there was a lot of talk on surfing. Were are the videos of this surfing. You cant tease like that and not have video from a helmet cam. That’s cruel.

@dc9mm said:
So there was a lot of talk on surfing. Were are the videos of this surfing. You cant tease like that and not have video from a helmet cam. That’s cruel.

I used to be sort of an unofficial videographer in the past, when I organized the NEKayaksurfers group. But, increasingly in the past 8-9 years, I have become increasingly a solo paddle surfer. I go when the surf is up and when my schedule fits me. I get more surfing in this way. Also, there was simply little reward for trying to organize, fit myself around other folks’ schedule and, then, also worrying about the lesser experienced/skilled among our group. These days, I run occasionally into folks that I used to surf with. Great when it happens. But, I don’t go out of the way to organize it.

I think video from a helmet mount, or waveski mount, is absolutely the most boring stuff to watch. For the amount of time to shoot, edit and then post… to produce a crappy video… No thanks. I’ll snap some photos, if I remember, and then get on with riding the waves. That’s where the joy is. :slight_smile:

sing

ok but I use a cheapo amazon helmet cam and like shooting video. Grab stills out of the video like this from last weekend on Lake Erie.

@dc9mm said:
ok but I use a cheapo amazon helmet cam and like shooting video. Grab stills out of the video like this from last weekend on Lake Erie.

I suspect that is good incoming wave you about to climb. But, without other objects for reference, e.g. another surfer, it’s really hard to gauge. I have been digging some of the drone videos, that give some different angles, and varying levels of proximity to the action. I think this type of videography gives even a non-surfer the sense of fun and stoke in riding waves. :slight_smile: I check on the cost of one. More than i care to spend tho…

sing