Surf Forcasting Duds...

For awhile, I found the Swellinfo and Magicseaweed forecasts to be pretty spot on. This past week… Not even close. The swells that were supposed to roll in on Thanksgiving and Black Friday, were short period wind blown messes. The chest to head sets forecasted for this AM, turned out to double overhead plus monsters. Maybe just a very (temporarily) variable transitional phase of Jetstream pattern. Hopefully, the Jetstream will get into a groove. Hard to plan sessions when each morning is like Gump’s “box of chocolates.” I like nuts and chews but am getting a lot of icky cream fills…

sing

Come to CA - we should have some waves even if the forecasts are off by a bit:

Must be nice. To, cold to paddle for me in the great lakes. Sure some do but once the snow flies iam out. Post video of some surfing would be nice.

@Peter-CA said:
Come to CA - we should have some waves even if the forecasts are off by a bit:

I’ll pass, Peter. They just put the Jaws contest on hold in Waimea because the surf is getting too big… even by “Hawaiian standards.” (On the other hand, I hear the “Eddie Would Go” contest is back on since it doesn’t run unless it is 20’ plus, Hawaiian standard. )

That stuff has got to be rolling your way. …

I am NE surfer, not a Hawaiian surfer… I am fine and happily challenged with simple head highs these days. (Last time I went out in double overhead, about 10 years ago, I peed my wetsuit when I managed to get out past the break zone… LOL!)

sing

@dc9mm said:
Must be nice. To, cold to paddle for me in the great lakes. Sure some do but once the snow flies iam out. Post video of some surfing would be nice.

Wish I could. Anything head plus would require a drone, or higher ground vantage point. You really can’t get footage of the action from an even horizontal line of sight. The action is all happening in between the wave sets.

sing

‘Hopefully, the Jetstream will get into a groove. Hard to plan sessions when each morning is like Gump’s “box of chocolates.” I like nuts and chews but am getting a lot of icky cream fills…’

sing

Scary Streams of Conscious Wave Back at Me
(The Oceanic Confectioner Is Assorted Wicked)

Icky cream fills,
pile overhead small kills.
But who’s a nut to chew,
on Mavericks-wreck stew?

Fetching Jetstream makes dare,
“Who’s in groove to slide Nazare?”
Waves have run-ins with dump.
Run faster Forrest Gump!

Here it comes … I’m going to find a nice sheltered spot tomorrow AM … then after surfing checkout where it’s biggest to watch the the carnage.
https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/show_plot.php?station=46006&meas=wvht&uom=E&time_diff=-8&time_label=PST

In some respects I miss living way out in Hull, I often used to paddle at least 3 days a week, and a quick look out the window let me know what mood the water was in. Found some good spots to play in when things were large around the corner. But getting in and out of Hull took forever, I think it’s a good 30 minutes to the highway, and at least another40 to town. Living closer to Boston is more convenient for real life, but I still prefer paddling around Hull versus Boston harbor.
And now the guys who own the surf cams are charging for the live cams, so you just get a screen shot every few hours. Harder to figure out what is happening without real time video, or at least a few refreshes to compare sets. I guess I could cough up a few bucks every month, for the price of a cup of coffe, but something about it bugs me.
And there’s the buoys, but sometimes those get knocked offline, or it’s just hard to tell what the surf will look like when you get down there. Especially when you’re optimistic about surf reports.
But yeah, I’ve been down at Nantasket with a bunch of surfers scratching their heads and looking at their phones trying to figure out what’s up, because the forecast looks great, but it’s just dropping by the minute on the water.
Hope something good comes through and sets you up for some fun!

@SeaDart said:
Here it comes … I’m going to find a nice sheltered spot tomorrow AM … then after surfing checkout where it’s biggest to watch the the carnage.
https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/show_plot.php?station=46006&meas=wvht&uom=E&time_diff=-8&time_label=PST

Big carnage coming your way! :slight_smile:

https://www.surfline.com/surf-news/jaws-challenge-shouldnt-called-off/39561

sing

@Johnnysmoke said:
In some respects I miss living way out in Hull, I often used to paddle at least 3 days a week, and a quick look out the window let me know what mood the water was in. Found some good spots to play in when things were large around the corner. But getting in and out of Hull took forever, I think it’s a good 30 minutes to the highway, and at least another40 to town. Living closer to Boston is more convenient for real life, but I still prefer paddling around Hull versus Boston harbor.
And now the guys who own the surf cams are charging for the live cams, so you just get a screen shot every few hours. Harder to figure out what is happening without real time video, or at least a few refreshes to compare sets. I guess I could cough up a few bucks every month, for the price of a cup of coffe, but something about it bugs me.
And there’s the buoys, but sometimes those get knocked offline, or it’s just hard to tell what the surf will look like when you get down there. Especially when you’re optimistic about surf reports.
But yeah, I’ve been down at Nantasket with a bunch of surfers scratching their heads and looking at their phones trying to figure out what’s up, because the forecast looks great, but it’s just dropping by the minute on the water.
Hope something good comes through and sets you up for some fun!

4’ at 11 seconds this AM. Sing would go! (Eddie Aikau would have yawned and gone back to sleep. LOL!)

sing

@canoeswithduckheads said:
‘Hopefully, the Jetstream will get into a groove. Hard to plan sessions when each morning is like Gump’s “box of chocolates.” I like nuts and chews but am getting a lot of icky cream fills…’

sing

Scary Streams of Conscious Wave Back at Me
(The Oceanic Confectioner Is Assorted Wicked)

Icky cream fills,
pile overhead small kills.
But who’s a nut to chew,
on Mavericks-wreck stew?

Fetching Jetstream makes dare,
“Who’s in groove to slide Nazare?”
Waves have run-ins with dump.
Run faster Forrest Gump!

Not a silver tongue surfer. So, yesterday evening, I had some craft brewed suds to wash away the saccharine taste of crème filled duds.

This morning, all was right with my world again.

Beautiful dawn patrol

Several of us partaking in clean mellow fun afforded by an abundance of chest high surf

sing

A silver tongue’s my aim
through river’s rocked maze game,
but I’m spittoon speak and sputter,
unsteady eddy missed I mutter.

Sun up just yet
with mellow sets
to ride you in towards shore,
now comes December
is fire more than ember
sportin’ only that 5/4?

Don’t know how you do it, Sir Sing. Pushin’ into 6 decades now I’m finding it harder to keep the extremities in a semi-heated and flexible state. Even though I work outside year round. And, with Huy Fong’s Sriracha taken in liberal doses! Guess I need to sprinkle more paprika into my skin cream. Dam 35-knot hawk feels like it’s piercing frozen talons into me today.

Bleah !!! My wife made an appointment for me to meet a contractor in the middle of the “surfable window” when there were nice big glassy waves - it lasted about three hours and then windblown junk. Today the real storm hit and I went down to Beacons to check it out . Wind was onshore about 40 kts , driving rain, but the big sets ~ 12 ft looked surfable , really nasty trying to paddle out into that though, and nobody was out. Good news is we are getting decent rain here to kill some fire danger.

@SeaDart said:
Wind was onshore about 40 kts , driving rain, but the big sets ~ 12 ft looked surfable , really nasty trying to paddle out into that though, and nobody was out. Good news is we are getting decent rain here to kill some fire danger.

Hey, you live on the west coast. Means opportunity to surf will come again… SOON! More important that the fires are getting knocked down. :slight_smile:

sing

It’s a wrap. Got some TGIF surf in. Had some medical appointments today. Decided to include mental health therapy, aka surf stoke. Nice, mellow swells - 3’ plus at 12’ seconds still rolling in from the departed nor’easter out in the Maritimes. Got in an easy 3 hours plus in – under sunny sky, light off-shore breeze, air temp in the low 30s and water temp in upper 40s.

About half a dozen of us who skipped out something to be out on the break. :slight_smile:

Jetstream seems in place to bring a disturbance up the coast next week. Fingers crossed. :smile:

sing

The surf forecasters are still off. Supposed to have been flat for the last couple of days, and yet the surfable stuff has continued to roll in as confirmed by buoy data and surf cams (jealously watched someone catch and ride a wave in on the cam at sunrise this morning…).

Yikes, need to move near the water.

sing

I know, it’s a lot easier to stay in tune with the water if you’re near it, but I think you’d have to get out a bit away from Boston. We’re in Quincy, and all I can tell when driving Wollaston beach is if it’s windy or not, hard to figure out what’s further out. Boston harbor is fairly protected, other than the good old nor’easter, Hull and the islands block a lot of the energy. Maybe Winthrop would be a good spot?
Here’s a surf report from a bit south, can give you an idea of what’s coming up the coast.
https://www.prosurfcoaches.com/eyeball-surf-report

This AM, there were waist highs showing up in NH and ME surf cams. (Here is a list of mostly free cams.)

http://www.nesurf.com/reports/surfing-forecast/cams

I am just struck by how the Swellinfo and Magicseaweed seem so off on their forecast this past month. Just curious to why. The buoy data and cams give near on-the-moment conditions. Problem is that this ain’t enough of a “runway” to plan around work stuff to make a session possible. I need a couple of days usually to make it work (in terms of rearranging schedules and logistics since I normally don’t drive to work).

sing

Magicseaweed used to be pretty bad for the breaks I surf. It’s gotten better , but I know to add a fudge factor based on the buoy data I can look at myself. I think Magicseaweed did not know the channel islands existed for several years, it seems to take into account island shadows now. Have not tried Swellinfo. Solspot forecasts are pretty good for two breaks I surf most often, except when it’s really big, then they really seem to under estimate. I’m lucky to control my own schedule. I get up look at the buoys and if it’s light the surf cams and then hit the beach. Right now it’s pretty dark in the mornings so mostly using buoys. I went out this morning when it was basically flat since I haven’t bee on my SUP surfing since before thanksgiving, I manged to find a few waist high waves, I’m lucky here;there is usually something to surf within a half hour drive.

@SeaDart said:
Magicseaweed used to be pretty bad for the breaks I surf. It’s gotten better , but I know to add a fudge factor based on the buoy data I can look at myself. I think Magicseaweed did not know the channel islands existed for several years, it seems to take into account island shadows now. Have not tried Swellinfo. Solspot forecasts are pretty good for two breaks I surf most often, except when it’s really big, then they really seem to under estimate. I’m lucky to control my own schedule. I get up look at the buoys and if it’s light the surf cams and then hit the beach. Right now it’s pretty dark in the mornings so mostly using buoys. I went out this morning when it was basically flat since I haven’t bee on my SUP surfing since before thanksgiving, I manged to find a few waist high waves, I’m lucky here;there is usually something to surf within a half hour drive.

Now I have to be jealous of your copious surf, combined with your flexible schedule… Life just ain’t fair! LOL!

I have never heard of Solspot. Gonna have to add it on to the forecast list and see how well it does for NE.

sing