Anyone ever paddle in the rain?

On occasion
I haven’t started a trip in anything more than a light drizzle, but I’ve been caught in a heavy downpour on more than one occasion. As long as the wind isn’t crazy or lightning isn’t crashing nearby, I view rain as a refreshing change. It’s just nature.

That being said, since my choice craft is a canoe, one has to be mindful how much water that big ol’ hole in the top can collect. Getting stuck in a hard downpour the day you forgot your bailer can really suck.

Phreon

Heck no
That would be wet. I only paddle when its 74.6 degrees, less than 80% humidity, steady barometer, under a partly cloudy sky, downstream, with a tail wind of 4-8 mph.

But that’s boring, of course. So then I go home and watch the shopping channel for a bit of stimulation.

I’ve been looking for a new canoe that will make my paddling experience more exciting.

Believe that and I have a bridge you might be interested in purchasing.

I had a question I have been back to the winners web many times only tgo get a message that says to be patient wile you are updating info for the contest ? how long is it going to take

Funny how these resurface after years in the archive. I love Redmond’s comment:
“There is no bad weather
only inappropriate clothing!”

@ drifter1 said:
I had a question I have been back to the winners web many times only tgo get a message that says to be patient wile you are updating info for the contest ? how long is it going to take

?? Resurrect an 8 year old topic with a question that has nothing to do with it…
TAKE YOUR MEDS!

not a fan of paddling in the rain, it makes it hard to see the eddies. Snow otoh, had some of my best paddles in the snow. There, back to the top muhahahaha…see ya’ll next year…maybe.

That person had better not go paddling in SE AK.

I don’t mind paddling in drizzle. After all, a wetsuit or drysuit is immersion wear. However, in or near the Rockies, rain from late spring to early fall often means an electrical storm. Frequently accompanied by high-speed gusts, violent downbursts, hail, and LIGHTNING. Nooooo thanks!

In winter, precip is usually snow, but it is sort of a moot point then. The water either freezes or administrative closures (thanks, zebra mussels) mean no paddling.

“Anyone ever paddle in the rain?”
Sure, last Saturday.

Yup! Bestest paddlin’ time fer me… rain an’ snow.

No snow here but living in the Thunderstorm Capital of North America, I love the rain but not the lightning that usually comes with it.

I love that ominous photo.
My voyageur or C4 race team has never cancelled a scheduled training day due to rain. Here in the Adirondacks you had better plan on it on any given day. Canoe races are never cancelled due to rain, whether forecast or real. It often rains, particularly on multi-day races.

Why resurrect this dead horse? Either you do or you don’t and whatever you do does not impact anyone not in the group.

There are great paddling places that require paddling in the rain if you want to paddle at all.

Better question: Do you ever paddle in the FREEZING rain? How about sleet? Y’all down south even know what those are?

@Sparky961 said:
Better question: Do you ever paddle in the FREEZING rain? How about sleet? Y’all down south even know what those are?

Yep I have. That’s around level 2.3 fun.

Yep.

@tjalmy said:
We love the rain,
and will paddle in the cold.
But the rain AND cold, and I will wimp out. Unless I’m already committed, of course.
Lightning in Florida is a fact of life. We try to get off the water before the afternoon storms hit. Great adrenalin rush when we don’t make it.
BTW, g2d isn’t a Nazi, just someone who follows the lines in the parking lot even when the store is closed, and the lot is empty :wink:
T

Its NOT cold unless the rain is SNOW. Thats when I wimp out. If its still water it still warm out.

@Sparky961 said:

they got more of that last week than we did! Freezing rain is probably not a good idea if you have to drive there.

@kayamedic said:

@Sparky961 said:

they got more of that last week than we did! Freezing rain is probably not a good idea if you have to drive there.

Because of poor traction on the road or because the kayak won’t stay put when placed in iced-up cradles?

I rank black ice and freezing rain right at the top for most hazardous traction conditions. Oh, slick mud is awful, too, but not normally encountered on pavement.

@rival51 said:

@Sparky961 said:

Yep I have. That’s around level 2.3 fun.

We know what those conditions are and usually see them once a year in NW SC. Usually here today, gone tomorrow.
We’ve had two instances in the 30+ years we’ve been here that the roads iced. BAD thing.

@pikabike said:

@kayamedic said:

@Sparky961 said:

Because of poor traction on the road or because the kayak won’t stay put when placed in iced-up cradles?

I rank black ice and freezing rain right at the top for most hazardous traction conditions. Oh, slick mud is awful, too, but not normally encountered on pavement.

You would love April. here… Many of our roads are private roads and dirt… Some town roads are dirt. Paved roads here are never a given. I don’t ever want to be in a Southern ice storm cause the other drivers have no experience and go too fast. I am not fond of ice storms in Maine either. Its not here today and gone tomorrow. in 1998 it was here today and here for three weeks. A month and a half ago we drove through two feet of snow and then freezing rain… Not fun when you need new windshield wipers… And logging trucks swerving out of control made us wish for not having to travel

Loading iced over kayaks is not really fun but we do do it as the lakes start to freeze over as the patterns of ice crystals are really nice and pretty and make a unique outing… Its the tying on… not the sliding of boats. at 8 degrees.

Gotta go… our camp road has been a sheet of ice for half a mile since Nov 10 but its OK… Its got some dirt worked into it.