Happy New Year, but no paddling for me

It rained yesterday bringing the rivers up, and today is going to be 50° and sunny in southern New England. I’d have my pick of rivers to run for the traditional New Year’s Day trip, but unfortunately I won’t be paddling today. My mother was admitted to the hospital last night (nothing life-threatening), my father is already in rehab, and I have a nasty cold. I guess if not paddling today is the worst of my problems, things are pretty good.

Fortunately, I did get out to paddle last weekend at my local park-and-play spot on the Blackstone River – about a half-mile of quickwater with a couple of easy surf waves. I paddle down and carted my boat back - not a bad way to spend the morning.

2018 wasn’t a bad year for me from a paddling perspective – 62 trips, including 2 great camping trips and 2 swims.

http://eckilson.blogspot.com/2018/12/2018-year-end-review.html

Looking forward to getting back at it in 2019 – just not today.

Happy New Year everyone.

Happy New Year to you as well. Hope you and your parents feel better soon.

Not 50 or sunny here in Michigan but might hit 40. Thankful for every day where the phrase Polar Vortex is not part of our forecast.

Happy new year to you and yours. May your next paddle not be too far off. :slight_smile:

It’s nice to have a “play spot” nearby. Long ago, very early in my ww paddling days, Tommy C took me over to a short class II on the Assabet in Maynard. Was fun be able to get to a nearby run for some quick fun (water levels allowing). :slight_smile:

sing

about a half-mile of quickwater with a couple of easy surf waves. I paddle down and carted my boat back

I take it you broke your poles? :wink:

Happy New Year Erik. Hope your mom heals up quick, and your cold vacates the premises soon as well. I got out once or twice, last year, poling…not sure what happened, With Fred one day, Still river (pita poling) and a downriver run with Fred and Scott, the traditional Riverton run. Janice says “well, you did it a long time” and I guess she is right. Not missing the river,nor the sailing; been running and working out a lot, find the prep is easier, and the benefits, mental and physical, are welcome. Still have 4 canoes and a drysuit…maybe someday the urge will return.

Happy New Year. Nice video now that after 20 hours without power/Internet both are back
We celebrated the NY by … reading and shoveling crap. slush

Nice video and 2018 write-up, Erik. Happy New Year and best wishes for a quick recovery for both you and your folks.

@sing said:
It’s nice to have a “play spot” nearby. Long ago, very early in my ww paddling days, Tommy C took me over to a short class II on the Assabet in Maynard. Was fun be able to get to a nearby run for some quick fun (water levels allowing). :slight_smile:

I’ve done that little section off the Assabet a couple of time - Happy New Year sing!

@daggermat said:
Still have 4 canoes and a drysuit…maybe someday the urge will return.

Hopefully we can get out soon. I was planning to do the Riverton run yesterday, but this cold did me in. Spent the day on the couch watching TV.

A belated happy new year to you, Erik. Hope everyone’s health has improved.

I didn’t come near matching your 62 trips last year, but I too had two great canoe camping trips and, oh…three swims.

My swim rate is down since daggermat transitioned to bikes, hikes and other types of work-outs - 2-3 swims was low for a single outing with Matt. I need to push myself more. :wink: