To reDog or not.

My wife is the dog lover in my family. I pleaded ‘no more’ after the last one died. I want to be the top dog around here. My turn, dammit. (and with a name like Rex it’s only right).

Sorry Rex, old buddy. You have a slight chance of staying at the top. I don’t have to compete with animals, just 3 kids and 7 grandkids.

I agree that at some point a big dog isn’t a good idea. Personally I believe that I need to be able to pick up and carry my dog in case of injury or trouble. So if you are worried about getting a dog that’s too big, kudos to you for being aware and sensitive about it. Most likely you could be right. Even if I’m in good health “most of the time” I share that worry.

Regarding outliving your next dog I’ll say that there are many dogs in shelters that are definitely not going to outlive you unless they get rescued by someone like you.

Regarding the pro’s and con’s of a dog overall that’s a very personal decision. My wife and I would travel more if not for the dog, but that’s ok with us. For me a dog is the perfect paddling/outdoors partner. I was thinking of one example to share with you and castoff. One place we often paddle here has a long thin island that runs parallel to the shore for about 1/4 mile. I was paddling upstream on the shore side with Zoey this summer when a deer jumped in the river right in front of us. It startled all of us and everyone just got very alert but stayed still, except for the deer which made a quick u-turn. Zoey just looked at me and it was quite a cool shared experience. The next day we were paddling upstream past the same island on the deeper side of the island. We surprised the same deer which again surprised all of us. I’ve seen some amazing sights in nature and it always seems like the dog is enjoying it in the same way as me.

As far as enthusiasm for the outdoors I think the pics are pretty clear. One shot was taken at the exact moment when Zoey got happy feet and exploded for no reason at all…her front half is going crazy yet her rear end hasn’t moved yet.

1 Like

After we lost our dog in 2016 we vowed no more dog
2017 we got a overweight senior dog
Bad idea. Her arthritis was worse than ours and she required a handicap
pet ramp
She died early in 2018 of infection. She was taking more meds than we were

No more dog. We mean it

meet our bouncing 2 year old labraheeler we have had for a month
Buddy makes us laugh makes us get out and walk and avoid the senior blues. He is strong but not overpowering and is one of thise velcro dogs

His life expectancy means we have to live to 88. Since that wont happen the kids will be happy to have him. Takes a whole family to raise a dog

1 Like

@kayamedic said:
After we lost our dog in 2016 we vowed no more dog
2017 we got a overweight senior dog
Bad idea. Her arthritis was worse than ours and she required a handicap
pet ramp
She died early in 2018 of infection. She was taking more meds than we were

No more dog. We mean it

meet our bouncing 2 year old labraheeler we have had for a month
Buddy makes us laugh makes us get out and walk and avoid the senior blues. He is strong but not overpowering and is one of thise velcro dogs

His life expectancy means we have to live to 88. Since that wont happen the kids will be happy to have him. Takes a whole family to raise a dog

B)

There are several small islands where we paddle that are perfect for letting a dog run. My sometimes Paddling partner has Jack Russell who is the perfect be size for a boat dog and she loves the beach. JR are too high maintenance for me.

@string said:
There are several small islands where we paddle that are perfect for letting a dog run. My sometimes Paddling partner has Jack Russell who is the perfect be size for a boat dog and she loves the beach. JR are too high maintenance for me.

Good Size… Dunking Dog… Had a Jack Russell on a two week canoe trip. It was a work trip and I had no say in the dogs attendance… Yappy thing every day at four am and when the wind blew. or for no reason whatever. One day the dog was riding in our canoe and was getting hot so I grabbed the CFD handle and gave the dog a dunk… Then as we passed a rock mid river, placed the dog on the rock…
The owners were a few hundred feet behind in another canoe arguing about the line they should take through the rocks and were mortified when they saw the dog on the rock…
PB is a beech.

We have a part JR who I think I’ll take paddling when the weather warms. She isn’t one that dries easily.

1 Like

After eight kids, 15 grand kids, a dog , a cat, horses, chickens, ducks, turkeys, goats, sheep, raccons, squireels hamsters, snakes, turtles, guinea pigs, finches, fish, etc, we now just want each other for pets.
With our traveling life style and love of wilderness camping, as much as we love dogs, it would be impossible.

Jack L

@JackL said:
After eight kids, 15 grand kids, a dog , a cat, horses, chickens, ducks, turkeys, goats, sheep, raccons, squireels hamsters, snakes, turtles, guinea pigs, finches, fish, etc, we now just want each other for pets.
With our traveling life style and love of wilderness camping, as much as we love dogs, it would be impossible.

Jack L

I know.

3 months but I can’t even think about getting another one yet. I’m still too hung up on the last one.

1 Like

I thought of our two dogs for literally every day for more than 2 years after they died. Still think of them almost daily even though it has been more than 5 years since that day. So many times, both of us remember what they would do in mundane, frequent situations and say, “The boops would [do this or that].”

Absolutely no more dogs for us. No other could compare.

As for the freedom to travel or even just spend an entire day away from home without having to get back to take care of pets, we like having those options again.

I don’t think you can ever compare dogs
They are all so different and they all had unique qualities
Our latest is nothing like our Golden and while we miss her we know that not having a dog will not bring her back
Our latest found us. We did not go seeking him

1 Like

I had many they are all different like people. I think about them all many times a day. If your dog had a nice life there’s always another one needing a home if you want one. I have always had two or more so I carry on for the others when one dies.

1 Like

Ditto on PaddleDog’s comment. We have been fortunate that our best 2 had long and happy lives.
Although those were a Brittany Spaniel and a Standard Poodle, I’m beginning to think smaller. I don’t want a hyper yapper so it may take some looking.

@qajaqman said:
3 months but I can’t even think about getting another one yet. I’m still too hung up on the last one.

Pretty puppy.

1 Like

I know it’s a little late but don’t know what I’d do without my four pack over the holidays (or any day).

I removed us from the Standard Poodle pup wait list. I think I’ll haunt the ASPCA kennel for awhile.

1 Like

qujaqmans pooch in the top pic looks just like mine though mine does not have floppy ears.
What sort of pup?

Daffy acting… Ours is too. Today he went out and he loves the cold… We found him curled up in a flowerpot on the back deck… Must be part cat… I ought to get a box and get rid of the crate

Our vet offered a DNA test… What next in dogdom?

1 Like

@kayamedic said:
I don’t think you can ever compare dogs
They are all so different and they all had unique qualities
Our latest is nothing like our Golden and while we miss her we know that not having a dog will not bring her back
Our latest found us. We did not go seeking him

Of course “not having a dog will not bring them back.” We know that.

We just choose not to bring in a new one that won’t fill the gap. The gap can remain a gap without any more dogs.

Much more likely to happen is a very different kind of animal.