To reDog or not.

There are several small islands where we paddle that are perfect for letting a dog run. My sometimes Paddling partner has Jack Russell who is the perfect be size for a boat dog and she loves the beach. JR are too high maintenance for me.

@string said:
There are several small islands where we paddle that are perfect for letting a dog run. My sometimes Paddling partner has Jack Russell who is the perfect be size for a boat dog and she loves the beach. JR are too high maintenance for me.

Good Size… Dunking Dog… Had a Jack Russell on a two week canoe trip. It was a work trip and I had no say in the dogs attendance… Yappy thing every day at four am and when the wind blew. or for no reason whatever. One day the dog was riding in our canoe and was getting hot so I grabbed the CFD handle and gave the dog a dunk… Then as we passed a rock mid river, placed the dog on the rock…
The owners were a few hundred feet behind in another canoe arguing about the line they should take through the rocks and were mortified when they saw the dog on the rock…
PB is a beech.

We have a part JR who I think I’ll take paddling when the weather warms. She isn’t one that dries easily.

1 Like

After eight kids, 15 grand kids, a dog , a cat, horses, chickens, ducks, turkeys, goats, sheep, raccons, squireels hamsters, snakes, turtles, guinea pigs, finches, fish, etc, we now just want each other for pets.
With our traveling life style and love of wilderness camping, as much as we love dogs, it would be impossible.

Jack L

@JackL said:
After eight kids, 15 grand kids, a dog , a cat, horses, chickens, ducks, turkeys, goats, sheep, raccons, squireels hamsters, snakes, turtles, guinea pigs, finches, fish, etc, we now just want each other for pets.
With our traveling life style and love of wilderness camping, as much as we love dogs, it would be impossible.

Jack L

I know.

3 months but I can’t even think about getting another one yet. I’m still too hung up on the last one.

1 Like

I thought of our two dogs for literally every day for more than 2 years after they died. Still think of them almost daily even though it has been more than 5 years since that day. So many times, both of us remember what they would do in mundane, frequent situations and say, “The boops would [do this or that].”

Absolutely no more dogs for us. No other could compare.

As for the freedom to travel or even just spend an entire day away from home without having to get back to take care of pets, we like having those options again.

I don’t think you can ever compare dogs
They are all so different and they all had unique qualities
Our latest is nothing like our Golden and while we miss her we know that not having a dog will not bring her back
Our latest found us. We did not go seeking him

1 Like

I had many they are all different like people. I think about them all many times a day. If your dog had a nice life there’s always another one needing a home if you want one. I have always had two or more so I carry on for the others when one dies.

1 Like

Ditto on PaddleDog’s comment. We have been fortunate that our best 2 had long and happy lives.
Although those were a Brittany Spaniel and a Standard Poodle, I’m beginning to think smaller. I don’t want a hyper yapper so it may take some looking.

@qajaqman said:
3 months but I can’t even think about getting another one yet. I’m still too hung up on the last one.

Pretty puppy.

1 Like

I know it’s a little late but don’t know what I’d do without my four pack over the holidays (or any day).

I removed us from the Standard Poodle pup wait list. I think I’ll haunt the ASPCA kennel for awhile.

1 Like

qujaqmans pooch in the top pic looks just like mine though mine does not have floppy ears.
What sort of pup?

Daffy acting… Ours is too. Today he went out and he loves the cold… We found him curled up in a flowerpot on the back deck… Must be part cat… I ought to get a box and get rid of the crate

Our vet offered a DNA test… What next in dogdom?

1 Like

@kayamedic said:
I don’t think you can ever compare dogs
They are all so different and they all had unique qualities
Our latest is nothing like our Golden and while we miss her we know that not having a dog will not bring her back
Our latest found us. We did not go seeking him

Of course “not having a dog will not bring them back.” We know that.

We just choose not to bring in a new one that won’t fill the gap. The gap can remain a gap without any more dogs.

Much more likely to happen is a very different kind of animal.

Thought about a girlfriend but that’s an animal my wife won’t tolerate.

Everyone has to do what is right for them
Somehow this turned into a debate

we hesitated and our kids went to an adoption event . We went to meet their new adoptee.
And no dog turned into that terrified dog that no one had wanted for two months
The new light of our life

1 Like

Never thought I would have another dog after eating Otis. My wife is terrified of most dogs. 4 years ago Paris moved upstairs from us and 3 years ago she moved in with us. Don’t think I will ever have a dog as good as she is

@kayamedic said:
qujaqmans pooch in the top pic looks just like mine though mine does not have floppy ears.
What sort of pup?

Ostensibly a yellow lab, but based on his long legs, piercing eyes (not so evident in that pic), and how he behaved (very, very, very poorly) and super high energy I strongly suspected some Weimeraner.

@string said:
Thought about a girlfriend but that’s an animal my wife won’t tolerate.

I’m not ready for another dog but I also miss having one to walk, so I’m looking for a girlfriend with a dog I can borrow.

@Chuck von Yamashita said:
Never thought I would have another dog after eating Otis.

I hope you aren’t hungry for more.