Helmets

As Sparky said, fit is super important. Find a way to try on what you are considering. Likely means going to an local shop, or buying something with a good return policy.

I also don’t think a paddling helmet would work as a bike helmet. But you probably could take a bike helmet in for your caving.

@Sparky961 said:
This isn’t as useful as you’d like, but I bought mine from NRS because it was a universal fit and matched my boat.

I really dislike it.

It gives me a headache after not that long wearing it… but it matches my boat… Well, one of them now - the less likely one to need it in.

Make sure whichever one you buy is a very comfortable fit so that you actually enjoy wearing it.

Be less concerned about it matching your boat, or anything.

LOL, I go for the “clash” look versus color coordinated (purple drysuit, coral PFD, hunter orange hat in the winter). Easy to spot.

@Peter-CA Only helmets sold up here are football or hockey. Sounds like I might have to make a road trip IF I can locate a shop which carries them.

Thanks all.

What Guideboatguy said: Bike helmets are one big hit and replace. Whitewater helmets are way tougher. What I did was find a helmet that was really inexpensive and looked cool (online). It didn’t fit well so I added and subtracted to the foam lining until it was tolerable.

Didn’t know that about bike helmets (no bike yet);

helmets seem to have gotten more specific in their usage- we used to wear old construction hats for spelunking and drill a hole to mount a carbide lamp. Many modern coal mining “helmets” now appear to be metal or even fiberglass with a flat spot for a head lamp (battery pack carried on hip). The ww helmets and rock climbing helmets are design to take some licks. Unfortunately, they are likely to get scratched up and may be more difficult to clean than a traditional hard hat. I think any helmet you get should be comfortable and provide a tight fit.

Some of the heavy duty ww helmets even provide face protection but I rarely wear my “creek” helmet… I usually opt for one of my cheaper helmets- much lighter, better vision, and can hear better but do so at the expense of protection…

if money is not an issue this looks good for caving: https://www.karstsports.com/pmi-advantage-helmet-fluorescent-green/

you want a bright color so if you set the helmet down on a rock or if you lose it in a crack then it will be easier to spot, Think about what kind of headlamp you’ll be using and how it will fit/mount on the helmet. I like helmets that are easy to adjust but dislike the dial design on the back of some helmets as they are prone to failure.

Can’t use a decent paddling helmet as a bike helmet. Inadequate air flow.

Go with one that has flexible sizing… I gave up on sized ones, all of them left me with a headache.Mostly NRS.

Two options at similar price points - WRSI. I find that quite comfortable. Currently running about $90 full price for their basic one. I hit a rock with it once and that, plus getting to Maine without it a couple of years ago, sent me to a store to get a replacement.

Only option was Shred Ready. I find this helmet to be quite comfortable. My Shred Ready does a better job of covering a bit lower in back and over the ears. Having lived with it I prefer the shape.

I find the long sun visor on the sweet protection strutter to be quite handy.

Back in the 70’s I did some whitewater rafting and kayaking and used an old-school hockey helmet. Comfortable, didn’t block my hearing and drained easily due to all the gaps in the skeletal structure. I survived multiple may-tagging on the Class V Cheat River wearing it.

I’ve got a paddler specific helmet now (came with a ww boat and associated gear package I bought used a few years ago – helmet was new in box.) But it really is not as comfortable as that old hockey helmet was.

Should be plenty of those up in your neck of the woods.

One further comment re continuing of a helmet. At some point (should be awfully soon, like maybe pool sessions if available this winter) you will have enough of a roll to go out and practice alone. You want a helmet for that.

Don’t use a WW helmet as a bike helmet (and vice versa).

The WW helmet is heavier, poorly ventilated, and may not protect the brain as well in bike accidents, which almost always involve a hard hit. Bike helmets are designed to break, serving as a sacrificial shell by dissipating the energy.

WW helmets are useable for more hits, since many head-bumps are garden variety smacks like being upside down and thumping bottom—could be violent but also could be minor events.

I have a WRSI helmet (was $79 when I bought it years ago) with a short lip like a mini-visor. The extra sun protection from a longer visor appeals to me, but I’ve heard the long brims can become problematic in surf (like levers on your head).

You will need to try them on in person. The fits vary a lot, as with bike helmets, and the padding kits might not give you the right combination of adjustments.

@willowleaf said:

Should be plenty of those up in your neck of the woods.

Hockey helmets, yes. Paddling helmets - no outfitters up here. Checked Bill & Paul’s Sporthaus website (Grand Rapids) and search turned up zip. Maybe I’ll find something in the Lansing area when the Quiet Water Symposium is on in March.

Looks like getting a helmet that fits is more challenging than getting another kayak. That helmet that tdaniel linked is cool, but the price not so cool.

Is there a big difference between paddling helmets and ice/rock climbing helmets?

I use a Pro Tec Water Ace that I got from NRS. I’ve had it for years & like it.

What are you planning on needing a helmet for? You mentioned caves. If this is touring caves as in spelunking , then the places that guide those tours have them and you don’t need to buy one. If this is to go into caves at The Apostles or at Pictured Rocks, You have no business near those caves when the water is such that a helmet is required, come back another day. If it’s bad enough to need a helmet, you must be planning on surfing . If you plan on doing some rivers , then by all means get a helmet. A hockey helmet will work fine as long as you get one that fits. However there are some nice WW helmets on the market now. Not like in the old days. Another note, the time of the year that you mention, You will be perfectly fine with a wet-suit.

In my experience with sea caves on Lake Superior, A.I. If it is rough enough to need a helmet, stay well offshore of the seacaves.

There are a lot of helmets on Craigslist at bargain prices

Since you only need it to work once (or rarely at least), a cheap option is a helmet from Ali Express

Lots of helmets from $15-40 shipped. Takes a while to make it over to the US though. Allow 3 weeks minimum. May not be the Cadillac of helmets, but if you want it cheap ali is hard to beat.

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20190103121314&SearchText=kayak+helmet

@Seadddict said:
I use a Pro Tec Water Ace that I got from NRS. I’ve had it for years & like it.

yes it is a very comfortable helmet and one that I often use, It’s shape seems to fit the shape my head better than some of my other helmets. Just realize it provides less protection than some other brands and boat accordingly.

@roym Maybe it depends on the coach. Couple of summers ago on Lake Huron we were not allowed to paddle into any caves because no one had a helmet, although conditions were relatively flat. That’s why I’m assuming a helmet would be required. Once I firm things up, will check.

Did deep water rescue in Superior during class last year. Wouldn’t think of wearing anything but a drysuit.

Rookie, given you skills progression I suspect that you should be buying a helmet. Not so much for a (maybe) one time caving paddle but more for surf and surf landings. When you go looking check to see if the helmet can be adjusted to work bare headed and with a skull cap or other insulation for crappy weather. I don’t see you needing full coverage or a face guard - you aren’t running steep creeks or doing high risk rock gardening (for now).

My ancient (mid-90s) Protec is due to be replaced but it still works - just dorky and it pinches my ears. I lean towards the base WRSI but haven’t wanted to pull the trigger. I need to think a bit harder about this - I’m remembering that I cut my forehead this summer dropping my kayak on my head while lifting it to dump water while practicing a rescue.

Call RKC & see if they will be back at Quietwater and, if so, if they are bringing helmets.

Sorry Rookie , the comment at the end of my post was meant for the thread about the person coming from the eastern seaboard in July. Wetsuit would be fine. I carry a drysuit even in the summer, in case the weather changes while I’m out in the Islands. But I have been known to travel far out and also have the ability to pull into an Island and change into it. Otherwise most of the summer, I don’t wear one. But our temperature tolerances are all different , each must know their limits. On Your original question. The Paddling helmet thing. Back 30 or so years ago, many wore Hockey helmets, I still have a few. They worked OK. The Protec ones , I also have and they were {to me very uncomfortable} they had two bumps in the front to help hold the helmet centered. The bumps caused pain after a little time . Then I went to a Prijon helmet with the suspension system like a hard hat has. That was much better. But now I have a couple of Gath helmets with foam padding that have different add on interior strips to fit to the head. I have two different Gath Helmets , I have a GEDI and a SFC . The GEDI has a small visor and is a little heavier than the SF Convertible. Both have ear protection covers that can be removed if desired. The SFC with the foam forehead section is the most comfortable helmet I have ever owned and with the ear protection covers removed, it fits in a day hatch of my Valley kayak as a very easy carry for just in case I decide I need something for the day. The SF convertible feels like having another skull on the outside.
I hope some of this helps a little

Best Wishes Roy.