Cup Holder!

Just bought a CD Kestrel 120, no cup holder!
Don’t want to drill a hole, or into the kayak, looking for other options to hold a decent sized stainless bottle (32-40 oz).
Love to hear / see tour ideas.
Thanks.

Because you are using a bottle, not an open cup or can, why not just put the bottle under the bungee on the front deck?

Serious touring boats are usually used skirted and thus cup holders are a no go. So deck top options like above are used, and/or a water bladder affixed to the PFD. If you are not using a skirt, you could also get an under deck bag and it’d fit in there.

Cupholder ? Poor Nanook Never Needed a Cupholder.

Check out the Platypus DuoLock SoftBottle Collapsible Water Bottle. You can clip it to a bungee. While it’s not the 40 oz size you seek, you can carry a jug of water in your hatch and refill the bottle as needed.

@Photecs said:
Just bought a CD Kestrel 120, no cup holder!
Don’t want to drill a hole, or into the kayak, looking for other options to hold a decent sized stainless bottle (32-40 oz).
Love to hear / see tour ideas.
Thanks.

I’ve been using these for years. it installs with epoxy on composite boats or bolt through on PE boats.
I have one in my Kestrel 120 comp.
Pic of one mounted in my Caribou.

Thanks for the ideas guys… looking to mount a 32/40 oz double walled stainless bottle, as it’ll keep water cold for hours. Thinking of using epoxy to mount a metal strip in the ceiling of the bow, then using rare earth magnets epoxied to the bottle to hold it up and out of the way…
Was wondering if there was something better than that. That big is not a bad idea, but for $120, i’ll “stick” with my magnet idea for now…

I’m a day tripper in a hot climate. I just stash water bottles where they fit. Cold is nice but hydration is the goal.

@string said:
I’m a day tripper in a hot climate. I just stash water bottles where they fit. Cold is nice but hydration is the goal.

me too, and, if I really do want a ‘cold one’ (water), I’ll put the water bottle(s) (removed cap) in the freezer the night before.
(and cover the water bottle in thin closed cell foam, then put in nylon bag - if I want it to stay frozen for several hours)

With multi-day trips you get used to everything being the same temperature as the air or water. It’s wasted effort to keep anything at any specific temperature unless you’re cooking.

@raisins said:

@string said:

me too, and, if I really do want a ‘cold one’ (water), I’ll put the water bottle(s) (removed cap) in the freezer the night before.
(and cover the water bottle in thin closed cell foam, then put in nylon bag - if I want it to stay frozen for several hours)

Good point. I usually take a frozen bottle or 2.

What’s a cup holder? My deck bag has a water bottle holder but I just let it roll around in the canoe.

RTIC makes some nice water bottles.

24-32 oz I can’t remember but my Yeti thermos is danged heavy. Just stow it in a bag at the bottom of a hatch.

I’ve been putting a towel down in front of my seat and I put my 40 oz bottle on the towel in front of the seat to keep it from rolling around. It doesn’t interfere with my legs and keeps it close. I drink a lot of water when I’m doing anything physical. I’m not using a full skirt though, just a half deck skirt so I still have access to the cockpit. With a full skirt it wouldn’t really work that well. I’m thinking about going with a hydration pack at some point.

I paddle Lake Superior. I use a water bottle with a filter inside, so I dip a fresh drink from the Lake as I paddle, always have a cold drink.

@Mike… Half Deck Skirt!!! Didn’t know that existed! Going to look into that more, thanks!

@Overstreet said:
24-32 oz I can’t remember but my Yeti thermos is danged heavy. Just stow it in a bag at the bottom of a hatch.

You can stow it anywhere. It will find the bottom all by itself…Those Yetis are wicked heavy but we took a Yeti Thermos on a below zero hike… At lunch outside the cocoa was still too hot to drink1

Always stow a round water bottle thing in a bag when in a compartment on a boat…otherwise they roll around in the compartment …roll roll bang…with every wave. …and you can’t get to it. :s