What? Say again. Hearing aid recommendation

Given the age of many posters, I thought this would be a good place to ask.
A search shows too many choices to begin. Seems like everyone makes the best ever!
I have never used them.
Any brand you can recommend?

hubby went to a college program
that trains audiologists
Start with a good audiologist
He had a student that was mentored by a licensed audiologist

Definitely see an audiologist.
They are higher tech now and can be custom tuned for you.
Many friends and myself have them. My family MD has bluetooth on his so he can hear his VHF on his fishing boat. Mine have bluetooth you can hook to your phone or TV but I have no need for it.
FWIW, mine are Starkey, love them.
I have three different frequency profiles to choose from and six volume levels. Funny when they talk to each other when you change a setting.

I applied through VA and they did a bunch of tests. They denied it because I had the bad ear damaged as a child. I think my hearing loss was related to a week on an Army rifle range with no ear protection.
My ENT has a good audiologist so that will be my next stop.

I got mine through the VA.
They are Siemens and are waterproof although I don’t wear them on the water since one dropped off the first month I had them and got washed out to sea. Thankfully they replaced it.
They set them for my hearing and I also have a little widjet that has ten settings and I can tune you in or out. I normally keep the setting at two above the middle, and always keep the widjet at home. the exception is when I go to a restaurant where I can tune all the back ground noise out.
I have had them for four or five years and I now don’t have to shout at my wife to speak louder or face me when she is talking. I don’t know who likes them better; her or me !

Tech told me that a recent client left his office with his brand new ears in only to return a short time later asking for help as his car was giving warning tones and he couldn’t figure it out. Tech went out and turned off his turn signals. Client never knew they made a noise.

Lovely wife Julie has been wearing HA for about 8 years and never knew what she was NOT hearing until trying a pair. She was in tears after again hearing gentle rain and crickets. She is on second pair of Resounds as she prefers a dedicated remote as opposed to smart phone control (which Resounds do). All brands can be switched locally on HA through button pushing. Costco for us has been great both in cost and exemplary service in and out of warranty period. She did try and later return a a pair of Kirklands due to sounding “tinny” to her. Not sure if that was due to programming or inherent device sound. We have a Resound TV Streamer ($300) which is great for us. Julie can listen at her volume through HA and me through TV speakers. Also nice when just she watches/listens so I am not blasted out of room. Check your TV for Bluetooth and perhaps use as excuse for new smart model for comms with HA. Initially she listened through home stereo earphone jack while I was on TV speakers. Not having cord connection and need to turn on another device makes TV Streamer worth cost.

About $3K should get you rolling with decent pair of any brand. All offer color choices to match skin and hair in spite of being tiny and discrete anyway. All can offer enough cool remote control tech to satisfy smart phone geeks. I think you will be genuinely delighted with any brand at what you are no longer missing hearing. Her Resounds run on replaceable batteries vs rechargeable ones. Lack of fussing with remove and replacing small power cells may be desirable for you. We buy very few as most times we are at Costco Hearing Center they give us a bunch.

One of my neighbors wife said they changed her husband’s personality. When they went out he would hardly engage in conversation with others. Now that he can hear clearly again he joins right in.
Seems the SO appreciates them more than the wearer.

@grayhawk said:
One of my neighbors wife said they changed her husband’s personality. When they went out he would hardly engage in conversation with others. Now that he can hear clearly again he joins right in.
Seems the SO appreciates them more than the wearer.

That’s very true for me too… DH is a recluse when he does not wear them…
The brand ? It doesn’t matter as they all have to be tailored to your hearing loss and some are better for specific ranges of tone.

Thanks everyone. I’ll get started tomorrow.

Too bad about the VA, from what I’ve seen they use pretty good HAs.

@grayhawk said:
Too bad about the VA, from what I’ve seen they use pretty good HAs.

That’s what I heard.