West Side Boat Shop, Doug Bushnell?

Does anyone know if Doug Bushnell is still building boats or has he completely retired at this point? That guy made some amazing boats back in the day and certainly deserves his place in kayaking history.

Did you try calling him? His website is still up, along with his phone number for contact info: (716) 434-5755

Well, if you’ve never talked with Doug that makes total sense. But I guess I will give him a call to see how he is doing, although a social call might not make a whole lot of sense to him. I am genuinely interested enough, though, to call him tomorrow. I’m genuinely curious to know how he is and what he’s up to.

“Well, if you’ve never talked with Doug that makes total sense.” It’s been years, so I’m guessing by your comment that the phone isn’t the easiest anymore. I had a Thunderbolt X for a while and it’s one that I wish I never sold!

1 Like

I’m not a ‘fast paddler’, but admire these boats.
Good to see ‘West Side Boat Shop’ will continue.

@DaveTheKayaker - best of luck

2 Likes

That is so cool! @DaveTheKayaker, I’m glad you made the call!

1 Like

Thank you. I just hope I can sell some boats and not lose money.

Coordinating with Joey at Turning Point Boat Works to help with fabrication is such a smart move! Congrats and best wishes from the Eastside of NY.

See you on the water,
Marshall Seddon
The River Connection, Inc.
9 W. Market St.
Hyde Park, NY. 12538
845-229-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile
Main: www.the-river-connection.com
Store: www.the-river-connection.us
Facebook: Redirecting...
Instagram: Login • Instagram

1 Like

Best of luck to you! I’ve always wanted the opportunity to try a couple of those designs out.

2 Likes

We’ll be watching good luck! Maybe another FSK in my future.

1 Like

Hoping to leverage those of us who know and appreciate these boats to pass along the insights and love to the next generation. West Side Boat Shop News: West Side Boat Shop Acquired by Dave The Kayaker LLC – Dave The Kayaker | West Side Boat Shop

3 Likes

I can tell more of the story now. All molds are in my possession as of this week and ready to go into production. Let’s make this happen! West Side Boat Shop News: West Side Boat Shop Acquired by Dave The Kayaker LLC – Dave The Kayaker | The new home of West Side Boat Shop kayaks

3 Likes

When will there be demos available?

Soon, but we’ll need to know what people want to demo. We can’t possibly build one of every boat so let me know what you’d like to check out. Contact me outside of this forum if interested.

1 Like

Thanks everyone! As an FYI, Monday Nov. 15, 2021 was our first official day back in business. I had a long talk with Doug today and he is both excited and very supportive of us carrying on the tradition of West Side boats. I’m so glad he is still around to help us every step of the way. I’m looking forward to a fun ride.

1 Like

Very cool. Best wishes on keeping that enterprise going.

2 Likes

So first hull is?

1 Like

Boat #1 is a Delta that I’m keeping for myself as a demo boat. Next will be either the EFT/Sleek or the Bullitt K-2 since those were the most popular on the wait list, probably followed by another Delta or two and possibly a Marauder. Of course, actual orders will dictate which boats come next.

1 Like

@JohnFH I’ve got an EFT/Sleek demo boat now. I’ll give you a call today or tomorrow. I’ve also got a Thunderbolt-X, Wave Excel, Delta, Marauder and Wave Ultra as demo boats. Soon to be adding a Javelin.

Have to let me know if you make a trip north

1 Like