Safety Gear - Whats in your PFD?

Whistle, Mirror, Flashlight, phone, PLB is it for me. Surfskis dont allow for much storage. I always dress for extended immersion and figure if S really hits the fan I’m good for several hours in the water, though likely a rather unpleasant several hours in conditions that would result in impossible remounts or a broken leg leash.

those are some quite extensive emergency kits you guys carry. I’d probably take more with me if I had a day hatch or somewhere to store more though “if its not on you do you really have it?”. Although weight and impairing mobility discourage me from taking more too, so I guess im almost happy with my setup.

The last things I want to get is a marine radio to call harbor partol and a flare set. If i was going far offshore I’d probably load up on more stuff, but rarely go more than 2 miles out (still plenty of distance to get in trouble though)

I also have over 100 linear feet of reflective tape all over my boat and paddles to make myself easy to find at night. The coast guard chopper that partols the coast semi regularly around me shined me momentarily with the spot light a couple nights ago and i must have lit up like a christmas tree! the tape must have caught their eye from the side and shined me to investigate. Good to know I have enough on there to be rather conspicuous with just moonlight

A marine radio is a plus to have. Be sure you spend the little extra money to have DSC (digital selective calling) with GPS and MMSI. MMSI is to register your boat/radio with a specific identifying number. WHen you push the distress button it sends your MMSI number with the GPS coordinates to assist in locating you.

Here is a link and some photos of the “See Rescue Streamer”, $80 on Amazon. The case is very small for a 25ft long streamer. About the size of a 2 D Cell mag light. I keep it attached to the side straps on my PFD. All military pilots carry this as required equipment and now its avail to the public.

http://seerescuestreamer.com/

Your streamer lead me to the HTI (Hydration Technology Innovations) SeaPack pouch passive desalinatior.

Its no longer available on Amazon and I see it was discontinued. Does anyone know of a passive desalinator like the SeaPack still available? I’d like to have one of these, as I usually dont have enough water on me for extended survival (and its a good insurance policy to have after an earthquake when city water is not flowing)

http://www.htiwater.com/shop/documents/SeaPack.pdf

Oops here is the correct link to see rescue streamer
http://seerescuestreamer.com/

As far as the Desalinatior they are pricey but a single person one can be found here.
https://www.katadyn.com/us/us/149-8013418-katadyn-survivor-06

It’s the smallest one person desalination unit on the market for one person.

Water is always a problem for longer trips, we kayaked Moosehead Lake in Maine for a week and camped on the islands around the lake. We used much more water than we expected and although Moosehead Lake is a fresh water lake we were unnerved by filtering the water and drinking so every night we would boil the water after it was filtered, bottle, and then that led to another problem we were running low on fuel. On big trips now I bring more water stored in collapsible bags. If it is calm enough someone can open your hatch and get the jug out to refill everyone.

If you ever get the chance to paddle Moosehead Lake it was an amazing 80+ mile trip.

I carry a folding knife in one of my PFD pockets, a signaling mirror in another pocket,( I don’t know why because I’ll never use it) and a length of line in another pocket. I also carry a whistle,(mainly because many of the races I enter require one).
If I am going off shore, I keep my VHF radio in my under deck bag along with lip balm and my sun glasses.
I keep a pump on my rear deck and my skirt is normally in the front compartment along with our lunch.
I used to keep a spare paddle on the back deck, but stopped carrying one a few years ago. if I should break a paddle, I’ll use one half like a canoe paddle
I monitor three different weather stations and don’t go out if storms or high winds are predicted so i don’t need or want all the yard sale junk.
I used to have a PLB, but don’t any more because my wife who always paddles with me has a SPOT

@MCImes

Is this what you’re looking for? http://waterade.com/SEAPACK-Emergency-Desalination-System-SeaPack1.htm

I carry a bunch of things. I do carry two VHF radios and my cell phone. One VHF on my deck one on my pfd.

The only thing I carry in my pfd is my radio (for music and news) and my truck keys. Sometimes I carry my little bag in the boat with my cell phone and a few other things. That’s about it.

So, carrying a pack of smokes and a couple beers isn’t enough?

[Definitely sarcasm, if you didn’t already get that]

And if you are prepping for the “big one.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPwW7RaPO_g

Right now - nothing. I gave up outside activities when it is 40 ish and wet a long time ago and that has been our winter so far.

Fixed blade knife, strobe light, mirror, whistle. The knife has been handy for peanut butter.

SACRILEGE!!!
YOU Must NEVER use your knife for anything but saving your life or someone else’s!
Only virgin blades can save you.

@string said:
SACRILEGE!!!
YOU Must NEVER use your knife for anything but saving your life or someone else’s!

That must be why mine keep leaving me.

Lets see… the rules for paddling the Yukon 1000 mile race require that in a pocket, or attached to your PFD contain several items. A whistle and another signal device (mirror), a fire starting kit, a small knife, a credit card, $20U.S, $20CDN, and an emergency mylar or other (SOS) bivy sack. I include a spare set of batteries for my GPS, plus a set for my SPOT (a separate requirement). Except for the CC, CDN cash and bivy, everything else is normally always in my PFD pocket (Kokotat Orbit) for regular normal paddling trips.

When paddling whitewater, I wear an Astral Green Jacket PFD with a zippered pocket on the front. On the outside of the PFD is a fixed blade knife and a whistle. This Type V jacket has a quick release tow tether and I have a “cowtail” tow tether in a small side pocket of the PFD.

I carry an 80’ heavy duty throw bag in the boat, and wear a 60’ lighter throw bag on a quick release belt. Also around my waist is a loop of 1" tubular webbing for a drag system anchor secured with a locking carabiner.

Inside the pocket of the PFD are three more locking 'biners, two prussik loops, three lightweight pulleys and a small folding saw. When doing day trips or longer in semi-remote areas in cold weather I have also carried lightweight, 2 person bothy bag (bivy shelter), magnesium fire starter, and tinder.

Me

@string said:
SACRILEGE!!!

Hey, who’s to say it didn’t? Some people get pretty nasty when they’re hungry!!

@pblanc said:
2 person bothy bag

Handy for those inconvenient drownings, but doesn’t that get heavy when you zip up 2 bodies inside?