first fishing kayak

Hello , I am a noob who is studying for a purchase of a sit on style kayak, My budget is around the 500- 800,us dollars and I found a model by Sundolphin called a boss angler 12 ss I understand wal mart also has this model under its private label, to my understanding it is not roto molded? is this a problem? kindly jump in and suggest other models I may have over looked I will be using this in Core Sound North Carolina

That’s a heavy boat. Apparently that is not unusual for a fishing kayak.

800 you can get a beautiful pongo or Tarpon on the trade and sell market place until you get comfortable. Then go get a Hobbe Have fun be safe

The suggestion above of a Pungo isn’t a sit on top, and as a recreational class kayak wouldn’t be appropriate in Core Sound.

I would also recommend the used route. Most boats used should be in the 1/3rd to 2/3rd of new price, so an easier way t get in to the market. Scratches on plastic kayaks don’t matter (but gouges more than a 1/4" deep, especially below the water line might be a concern). Often buying used, people may throw in paddles or PFDs and other gear you will need also.

I heard the boat is made of a cheap plastic.I wouldn’t buy it if I were you.Probably weighs a ton so you’d have a tough time putting it on the roof of your vehicle.I just sold my Sun Dolphin 12 SS Journey because of the cheap material and the uncomfortable seat.!Also it’s very cramped in the hold area giving me very little room for gear.The gear area behind the seat is roomy but too difficult to reach for any gear.

@Hetzlerm1 said:
800 you can get a beautiful pongo or Tarpon on the trade and sell market place until you get comfortable. Then go get a Hobbe Have fun be safe

Pungo

I fish from a Tarpon 120. I’m 6’, 170#.
Beautiful boat. Lots of storage and open deck space. Comfortable seat. Rack mounts for rod holders, fish finder, etc. Easy to mount and dismount from. I believe it weighs just under 70#. I CAN stand up on my kayak, but I rarely do. If standing is important to you then you might want to look at other makers such as Jackson. Don’t settle for the 10’ model… get at least the 12’-er.
New, the Tarpon 120 is about $900US I think, but as other posters have stated, a used one will fit into your parameters.

@Capt Bo said:
Hello , I am a noob who is studying for a purchase of a sit on style kayak, My budget is around the 500- 800,us dollars and I found a model by Sundolphin called a boss angler 12 ss I understand wal mart also has this model under its private label, to my understanding it is not roto molded? is this a problem? kindly jump in and suggest other models I may have over looked I will be using this in Core Sound North Carolina

Did you try Lure 10 or FeelFree Lure 10? around your budget I think you easily find lure 10 and it would a beast when it comes to fishing!

For my Pungo 140, I made a plywood deck with a rod holder

I’m considering a Vibe Skipjack 90. I have seen excellent reviews. Anyone familiar with it?

I have recently purchased a tandem NKC TK122 12.9 foot fishing kayak, weighs in at 77 pounds. Does any one know anything about it? I’ve had it out once and didn’t recognize any issues with it but would appreciate any feed back from experienced kayakers.

@Charlie Gardinier said:
I have recently purchased a tandem NKC TK122 12.9 foot fishing kayak, weighs in at 77 pounds. Does any one know anything about it? I’ve had it out once and didn’t recognize any issues with it but would appreciate any feed back from experienced kayakers.

Are you sure it isn’t a BKC (Brooklyn Kayak Company) kayak? Couldn’t find any reviews here but there are some re BKC TK122 12.9 fishing kayaks at Amazon.