Spring Ozark Rendezvous

@tjalmy said:
Deb and I are considering coming up for this. I’ve been wanting to for years. Do you know if there is an RV park nearby with hook ups? We could go a week self contained, but I’m curious if others with travel trailers will be camping on site or nearby.

Harrison has a couple of full hook up RV parks. North of the river.

Thanks for the notice Pam. Calendar is marked.

Isn’t there a trailer park in Jasper right at the intersection with the road that runs up to Low Gap and Ponca? Didn’t Kayakmedic bring a trailer down to Ozark camp a couple years ago? Perhaps she would be better informed on nearby trailer camps - we’re pretty much a bunch of tent campers. I don’t know about others but I don’t always notice such things.
I only remember the one in Jasper because I once went there to use a phone or something. But it was close enough so a person could set a trailer there, hang around the campfire at Ozark campground, and return to Jasper to sleep. That would be right on the shuttle route for several of the stretches we do, assuming there is enough water in the river to run the Ponca-Erbie stretch.

Dogwood Springs is 4.5 miles from the Ozark Campground. That includes the longish stretch of gravel road (County Rd 129) leading into the campground off of Route 7. I believe that Kim and Jim had their camper at Ozark campground. Anita used to stay at Dogwood Springs with her small camper.

I spent one night at Ozark campground last spring (before moving to Twin Bridges) with a new travel trailer - siting is a challenge, and no hookups. May consider Dogwood Springs this year. I am definitely planning the “short” jaunt from Alaska to the Ozarks again this spring and looking forward to seeing all again.
Brad

We just parked alongside the loop at Ozark
And shared a site in essence as we didnt need the table
We have a quiet generator and were able to fill our freshwater tanks
We used greyvwater to put out the campfire . We kept our waste to ourselves but used the campsite loos except at three am in the pouring rain
We have a smallish trailer and the only iffy thing was going up that 14 percent gravel road in the rain. But we made it with no issues
We were there four days and had to use the genny once around dinner
A grocery store is close by
IMO Harrison is too too far but I do remember Dogwood . Its close

Thanks everyone! I’m looking into Dogwood, our trailer is 29’ and without seeing the sites at Ozark I’m concerned we may not fit. And I do own a tent, but if I want Deb to come, I’ll be hauling the trailer! LOL!

you would fit. But along the road. The sites are. back behind log fence mostly
some are oen and set way back on grass
You can get a real good view on Google Maps.
See that center field? Open however I haven’t seen anyone camp there. Not a designated site

I realize that the river level is very rain dependent, but what, if any, whitewater would be likely? We’ll leave the composite kayaks at home and bring the Tupperware, but they aren’t whitewater boats.

For the most part, at the most likely early May levels the upper Buffalo below Ponca is Class I. When I say Class I, I am not referring to moving flat water. There are real rapids, but for the most part they are unobstructed and straightforward.

But there are a couple of exceptions. There is a rapid called Gray Rock Shoals which is a short distance above Kyle’s Landing that is a couple hundred yards long and probably rates a Class II at common early May levels. And there may be a couple other rapids in the Class I-II range and some of these might become Class IIs at higher water levels.

Even at customary springtime water levels, root wads and other strainers can present potential pinning and entrapment hazards. For the most part, these will be apparent sufficiently early to avoid them if you have reasonable boat control.

Lots of people have run the upper Buffalo in non-whitewater polyethylene kayaks with success.

Hey folks, long time since I met up with you guys. I was waiting for someone to start the Spring 2019 thread. I am planning on meeting up with you guys. Buffalo sounds good Ozark to hwy 14 or on down to Buffalo City? Springtime on the Buffalo can be exciting if it rains. Hopefully the weather patterns last a while longer. They have been very wet up there and most any rain is running off now.
I am headed to the upper Mt Fork River in OK/AR this weekend then likely to the Eleven Point next weekend and maybe a quick weekend on the Buffalo mid to late March.

SYOTW,
Earl

Rendezvouz is a series of day trips base campong at Ozark

Hi folks. I enjoyed my 1 day with you last fall and intend to come this spring. Marking the calendar now

Looking forward to paddling on the Buffalo River and some spring weather. Only two more months!

My plans are to drop in Friday at Ozark Campground. Dave, Ken and I are planning on camping on the river for a couple of nights.

Hoping to get a day or two but lost my vacation days for sick days this week. Maybe Friday-Sun? Will be nice to see everyone!

Mary and I and the dogs plan to be there the whole week starting Monday PM but will be staying at Dogwood Springs Campground per her request. I am sure we will be spending a good bit of time at Ozark Campground and of course, plan to paddle with the group.

At this point, does anyone know how early they will likely arrive? I am trying to see if anyone is available to shuttle and paddle in the Tuesday -Thursday time-frame.

Pete, I also plan to be arriving on Monday, and may also be staying at Dogwood Springs. You and I have shuttled before…
Brad

Deb and I plan to arrive Monday afternoon at Dogwood Springs. We are newbies to the area, but certainly can help shuttle. I’ve a pickup that seats four (legally six, but it’d be darn tight) and carry my boats on the roof. If you can fit yours in the bed (carpeted) we’re good. We have lots of tie-downs.

Glad to hear there will be some folks arriving early, Mary and I will be checking into cabin 27 at Dogwood Springs sometime late Monday afternoon or early evening. I can carry one extra canoe on my car, possibly two extra if they are turned on their sides or the center boat is stacked, and can carry three extra passengers in the vehicle.

Pete, Brad,

My plans are to be there early as well, but I’ll be camping at Ozark. Sunday or Monday is my expected arrival date. I have rack space for another boat, 2 if we stack a boat on top of 2 canoes. Crew cab on the truck so I can carry 4 passengers if I unload all the traveling camping gear off the back seat. A friend will be joining me but I’m not sure of his arrival date.
Bill