Looking for kayak model suggestions- upgrade to touring with a toddler

Hi all,
I’m seeking to upgrade from my rec kayaks to a touring model. I’d prefer to get a single that I can also take my toddler in, but am open to a tandem. I also need gear space, as we camp alot on the river.

I live in Vegas, so will be doing mostly river and lake, but would like it to be ocean capable.

I’m considering a current designs libra xt, which is a tandem, but wow…22ft and 100lbs is a lot. Plus, I’m not so sure I want a tandem with the hubby.

I’ve met a couple or 2 who did well in divorce boats, but most people prefer their own boats.
I took our toddlers out in a Folbot Super which was a predecessor of tandem rec boats. Also in a canoe.
You are about to discover why most of us have more than one boat,if you haven’t already.

You are about to discover why most of us have more than one boat,if you haven’t already.<

I quickly discovering that a one size fits all model doesn’t really exist. I absolutely still plan on getting a new solo boat, for those solo days.

We do tend to go out as a family quite often and like to do some distance paddling, as well as carry gear.

@Telly032 said:

You are about to discover why most of us have more than one boat,if you haven’t already.<

I quickly discovering that a one size fits all model doesn’t really exist. I absolutely still plan on getting a new solo boat, for those solo days.

We do tend to go out as a family quite often and like to do some distance paddling, as well as carry gear.

You just described a canoe.

solo kayaks with keyhole cockpits are a safe way to paddle with a toddler. use a

paddle with an adjustable loom in order to comfortably reach around and paddle. When going solo, just shorten the loom to your normal length.{my Granddaughter is no longer a toddler and is 5 years old in this picture, but the control is the same.}

The toddlers I have been closely associated with (10) have little tolerance for being that restricted for long.

Yep, canoe. Start with both adults for a couple of years. Later, given the kid, one adult moves to a solo and the kid takes over the bow seat.

Another option would be a folding kayak with movable seats like the Pakboat Saranac, which can be used open like a canoe or with the detachable deck, also set up for solo or double. OK for river and lake. For coastal use their XT-16 convertible tandem would be more rugged, also can be set up for solo or tandem use or to carry a kid or two along. Their kayaks are also half the weight of hardshells of comparable length.

Thanks all for the advice. I decided to go with the Current Designs tandem for now. It holds a ton of gear, plus has a 3rd convertible port in the center for the kiddo. At 21.8ft, its a beast, but man it’s sleek and looks like it can gain some speed. Plus, doesn’t hurt that I got a great second hand deal on it…so now I can afford to buy a solo too!

Those are quick boats with 2 paddlers. And you don’t have to worry about dueling paddles.

All 3 of my children had their early years in an old Loon 138 with me. The cockpit was big enough that they could sit in front of me on a block of foam. That boat was the closest I ever had to the perfect all-around boat. (Which, of course, doesn’t exist.) I wouldn’t exactly call that boat a tourer, but it was pretty efficient for what it was. I have no idea if they can still be found.

Your boat choice CD Libra is a very stable platform