Early Spring

Nice to be able to drive south to the warm weather of Resurrection Bay

“Please, please don’t leave me. I promise to be a good doggie from now on!”
You can just see it in the eyes

@JackL said:
“Please, please don’t leave me. I promise to be a good doggie from now on!”
You can just see it in the eyes
Actually on this paddle there is lots of long stretches of beach for her to run on while I paddle. Gives her a good break. We were out over 4 hours

Look behind the bike. This is how she behaves on the trails

@Chuck von Yamashita said:
Look behind the bike. This is how she behaves on the trails

Maybe she’s blind? Maybe you’re just good with PhotoShop? :wink: Or maybe she’s just really, really smart and knows better than to mess with the moose.

I noticed the Canada Geese are beginning to arrive back from their annual southern vacations. Spring is on it’s way… sometime.

There is hope. the resident Sandhill Cranes arrived last week. I heard them earlier and then saw them in a near by field Saturday morning.

Cold for the next 2 -3 days and then looks like March - 40s day 20 - 30s night. Should see buckets & blue lines soon.

Checked the weather for Resurrection Bay. Daytime temps of 38-39F. That’s downright balmy. I’d be driving around with my car windows down. Here, tomorrow’s high will be 8F, west wind around 15. Subzero right now.

Maybe I should move to Alaska, where it’s warmer. :expressionless:

@Sparky961 said:

Or maybe she’s just really, really smart and knows better than to mess with the moose

Paris is a smart pup. She’s aware of the law of gross tonnage.

I want to see a camera from Paris’ perspective. I’ll bet Chuck is holding a big fat salmon for all those pictures where she’s posing nicely for the picture . If the photo was higher resolution, you’d see the drool.

Anyone else want to see things from a ParisCAM? She could have her own YouTube channel (if she doesn’t already)

@rival51 said:
There is hope. the resident Sandhill Cranes arrived last week. I heard them earlier and then saw them in a near by field Saturday morning.

Cold for the next 2 -3 days and then looks like March - 40s day 20 - 30s night. Should see buckets & blue lines soon.

Where are you? I saw flock of Sandhill Cranes flying and trilling overhead this morning. I’m in the Four Corners part of CO. The big crane festival in Monte Vista happens next weekend.

Chuck , please do define “warm.”

Paris is the boss.
Would love to see some Sandhill Cranes but central NC doesn’t appeal to them. Did see thirteen Tree Swallows yesterday taking possession of a bunch of gourd-shaped bird houses. Beautiful birds fer sher.

Peach Orchards are blooming here, and freezing weather this week. I was down in Ocala national forest this weekend. Woke to the nosy chatter of Sandhill Cranes each morning. One actually was in the yard with wild turkeys and whitetail deer while we grilled chicken. It would chase the turkeys from where they were feeding to see if there was something it might eat. There is a year round population of Sandhills in Florida.

Well, noticed this morning that the branches of my 9 ft tall burning “bush” are beginning to green up. Looks like it is going to have to get its first haircut before March is out. In upstate NY this early that is about the only hopeful sign I am going to get. The dried stuff I put in the pots out front for Christmas is still frozen in… So it’ll be at least mid-march before the festive sights of the holidays are gone.

@castoff said:

“Boy, am I ever thirsty after that long flight!”

@pikabike I’m in mid-Michigan - just south of Lansing. We don’t get big crowds in the spring - just those who nest here. In the fall though there are several staging areas nearby where we can see them by the hundreds.

@pikabike said:
Chuck , please do define “warm.”

30s

@castoff said:
Peach Orchards are blooming here, and freezing weather this week. I was down in Ocala national forest this weekend. Woke to the nosy chatter of Sandhill Cranes each morning. One actually was in the yard with wild turkeys and whitetail deer while we grilled chicken. It would chase the turkeys from where they were feeding to see if there was something it might eat. There is a year round population of Sandhills in Florida.

“What in Sand Hill?”
Sam said with displacement,
at sign one’s craning neck,
driving through liquor’s replacement,

while the satellite dishes,
flips bird and lid in dumpster dive.
“Ain’t it all so damn peachy,
when bloomin’ winter springs its jive!”

Or how about

Sandy is dandy
But liquor is quicker.

(Apologies to Ogden Nash.)