Early Spring

Well, darnit, winter barged back in. It left only a skiff of snow last night this time instead of a boatload. We keep getting persistent waves of wet storms.

This weather is making me downright edgy. I might as well go sit-on-top a bed of snails or maybe slap my scull.

Canoe fathom why?

While down heah, we have 3 days off from rain. But, it will be back for the weekend.

Cook Inlet opened up

Paris perched upon the berg,
roared her electrostatic air,
“Sound the charge, let the hounds debarge,
I’m an icebreaker on a tear!”

Lake Erie apparently opened up this weekend. A few dozen fisherman had to be rescued from the flow.

@pikabike said:
Well, darnit, winter barged back in. It left only a skiff of snow last night this time instead of a boatload. We keep getting persistent waves of wet storms.

This weather is making me downright edgy. I might as well go sit-on-top a bed of snails or maybe slap my scull.

Canoe fathom why?

If the forecast is right, a tsunami of snow is headed your way Wednesday. And if the track is correct, it will miss the Great Lakes (fingers crossed).

Been pouring rain all day, after a windy night. The temps drop sharply tomorrow, ARGH. Or should that be “Ark”?

Of course that is what happens. I washed hubby’s two vehicles at the car wash (he is out of town enjoying some much nicer weather!

Last Saturday on the Ortega River, NE Florida. Summer is coming. Those leaves are all a week or two old.

@Overstreet said:

Last Saturday on the Ortega River, NE Florida. Summer is coming. Those leaves are all a week or two old.

Beautiful!

@Overstreet said:

Freshly hatched leaves have an amazing intensity. Not harsh, just very rightfully showing us they are out in force.

Gonna be rather wet here for awhile. Precipitation on and off with high 30s and mid 40s for a few days will really get the spring melt underway, and there is a lot of snow to melt. Everything is off the basement floor, floor has been vacuumed and squeegies are ready

Love the first blush of leaves in spring for their softness and color. Also the scent of emerging wild leeks and of course, hillsides covered with flowering trillium. Everything smells so wonderful and fresh! Maybe in eight weeks…

@Yooper16 No basement here; just a garage entry and garage, plus half the back porch filled with water when I got home. Lived here quite a few years and this is a first. It’s not just the snowbanks melting, but the snow on the roof as well. Yikes!
Spent 2.5 hours using a WaterBug pump to clear it, then another hour of pumping later on. It will be flooded again in the morning and just hope I can get home in time to pump out again tomorrow before the temps drop and it freezes.

I appreciate your persistence and I’m really glad I don’t live there.

@string said:
I appreciate your persistence and I’m really glad I don’t live there.

I keep telling myself it builds character.

Would a leaf blower blow some of the water away?

Behind the moats of Michigan
patient for spring resides woman
whom mans bilge pumps ironically
awaiting thaw of neighboring sea

Let’s not forget new leaves are accompanied by pollen. And pollen affects some of us badly.

@pikabike I don’t think a leaf blower has the power to lift water over the snowbanks and away from the garage entry. I attach a 50-foot Zero-G hose to the pump (which needs just 3/16" of water to operate) and run the other end of the hose into a snowbank near the end of the drive. It’s slow, but works…but I have to monitor the pump as it has no automatic off switch. Zen moments listening to gurgling water. Mini-lake present this morning, but not in garage and only partially in porch, thanks to colder temps. Back at it after work. Two-three inches of snow forecast, then the temps drop into the teens. It’s kinda fun playing with the water and watching the level drop. But I’d rather be paddling. :slight_smile:

@Rookie said:

Spent 2.5 hours using a WaterBug pump to clear it, then another hour of pumping later on. It will be flooded again in the morning and just hope I can get home in time to pump out again tomorrow before the temps drop and it freezes.

A trench drain with sump pump well would be one answer. $$$$, but your
Pump is likely $ more economic. Of course drains are good, if they’re not frozen. There are utility 110 vac pumps with floats that could be installed there. Maybe set with 1/2" residual. As long as the discharge hose doesn’t freeze.

This one says 3/16" removal. Of course long hose may reverse drain at pump shut off.
https://m.lowes.com/pd/Basement-Watchdog-0-33-HP-Plastic-Submersible-Utility-Pump/1000045537

Yep— Rookie that looks just like around our house in town. Just a nasty, wet, slushy dampness.

However, being here for good weather days in Tip or the UP does make it worthwhile to put up with the crap.

Thanks, @Overstreet. Checked out the Lowes pump. It requires 1 3/4" of water before it will turn on. Waiting for it to get that deep would cause major problems. The $99 WaterBug only needs 3/16" to start pumping and takes water level to 1/16th".

@Yooper16 Yes, we’ve sure have earned some payback in stellar summer days for this nonsense.