Sun exposure

Had my stitches last fall. A carcinoma on my chest. I always wear a shirt and PFD over that spot.
But, I grew up shirtless in the south.

It’s good to start using the right sun-wear anytime, but the problems you’re dealing with now started about 30 years ago. Be especially watchful for discolored spots that might just look like a dirty spot and it doesn’t have to be very dark. Be sure to check everywhere–even in places you’d rather not look. It doesn’t have to be where the sun shines.

That’s why a Dermatologist needs to do the looking. There are places you will never see.
I get checked every 6 months and typically look like I stuck my head in a bee hive when he’s done.

Irregular edges, two or more shades on the same spot. or pencil sized should be examined. I have had two removed over the years.
Long pants, long sleeve shirt, wide brimmed hat, buff, fingerless gloves, and UV protective sunglasses, are my standard dress on the water.

@castoff said:
Irregular edges, two or more shades on the same spot. or pencil sized should be examined. I have had two removed over the years.
Long pants, long sleeve shirt, wide brimmed hat, buff, fingerless gloves, and UV protective sunglasses, are my standard dress on the water.

A human condom.

@string said:
A human condom.
Only when wearing a dry suit, hat, gloves, buff, and sunglasses!

Dermatologist with AIDS?! A couple years back I had a chunk of my chest cut off. They never called it cancer but it couldn’t have been a cosmetic thing 'cause my insurance paid for it. But get this. The dermatologist and his nurse cut pretty long and deep and it took some time… and neither wore a mask or a cap or glasses. Is that normal? Seemed strange to me.

@Rex said:
“A couple years back I had a chunk of my chest cut off. They never called it cancer but it couldn’t have been a cosmetic thing 'cause my insurance paid for it. But get this. The dermatologist and his nurse cut pretty long and deep and it took some time… and neither wore a mask or a cap or glasses. Is that normal? Seemed strange to me.”

Those Palmetto Americans, by way of Volgograd,
had a little chip on Rex’s shoulder whom they mistook for comrade Vlad,
a little diggin’ with their scalpels revealed it should be they that’s buggin’ out,
those Lockheed specs from Marietta remain for risky Rooskies doubt.

(“And to think! Those dermatologist reviews on Yelp gave them four stars!”)

Grew up in Florida on the beaches and in the water. Running, kayaking, and cycling are hobbies. And now…I’ve had three basal and/or squamous carcinomas carved off leaving scars and divots. More sun protection back then definitely would have helped.

@Rex said:
Dermatologist with AIDS?! A couple years back I had a chunk of my chest cut off. They never called it cancer but it couldn’t have been a cosmetic thing 'cause my insurance paid for it. But get this. The dermatologist and his nurse cut pretty long and deep and it took some time… and neither wore a mask or a cap or glasses. Is that normal? Seemed strange to me.

When my dermatologist was cutting a chunk out of my chest, he sneezed. No mask.

Duckheads! Chips are in our pockets! Don’t know if it’s Rooskies, Israelis, or just Google but get this… on Saturday I worked the ‘bird club’ booth at a local Arbor Day event. It was very sunny out (there, staying on topic). I had my smartass phone out and was using a birding app; playing the song of the Carolina Wren for a little kid. I said “Listen, it sounds like ‘cheeseburger! cheeseburger! cheeseburger!’” After the event I walked home and checked the Facebook. Up pops a post about the Saturday Night Live skit… cheeseburger! cheeseburger! Like I said… we carry the chip around and pay for the privilege. Crazy.

There are cons as well as pros to limiting your sunlight. Though I’ve always been an outdoor person, and worked outside for years in construction, I avoided sunbathing, always wore sunscreen and hats even as a kid and teenager, and kept vulnerable areas covered especially around water and beaches.

But I’ve always lived in the Northeast and upper Midwest where the UV was not as direct and strong. And now, at nearly 69, though my skin looks pretty good overall and I have avoided the iffy and nasty skin growths that my less cautious sun-loving peers have experienced in recent years, I’m currently on a couple of prescription meds to compensate for vitamin D deficiency (and related bone density loss) that is in large part due to lack of sufficient dermal solar absorption. Northern (under)exposure.

Growing up in S.Florida we were always outside. From age 14 we could have scooters and small motorcycles and were never home. Year around golf, fishing, water skiing and sailing took its toll. We never thought about sunscreen then, it was all about getting dark tan.
Thinking back a few stitches and wrinkles now… is a small price to pay.
How good do you have to look if you are over 70 years old… and nobody cares anyway…

Someone is keeping plastic surgeons in business.

@string said:

The trophy wives…

@string said:

Better spent on a new boat. :slight_smile:

Better spent on a new boat. :slight_smile:

Right, a shiny new boat with no blemishes. B)

I need a plastic surgeon.
No, not for my fleshy, craggy hull,
but for my hell-to-gelcoat canoe
No spf for rock scrimshaw.

And while he’s giving her a facelift,
perhaps stern trippo suction, too,
maybe he’ll augment her old rack,
and style her up a new candoo.

I was in a very upscale town at New Year’s and spied a trophy wife who had a lot of work done… work done like 40 years ago. Yuck. You can’t fool Mother Nature for very long.

I encourage you to read my article on sun protection: https://paddling.com/learn/sun-protection-primer-for-paddlers/. It’s one of many safety issues discussed over the years. Check out the archives for more good info, much of which can answer questions posted here on the Discussion pages. Be Safe, Be Smart, Have Fun!