First (Longboat) Surf of 2019

@Johnnysmoke said:
I’m glad you’re liking the Delphin, I thought you would get along well with it. I think it’s a very well designed boat for surf and rough water, performance oriented while still being reassuring.
I’m hauling my fat butt to a cardio kickboxing class tomorrow, and I’ve started walking a lot. Headed out of town for next week, but maybe I’ll try and hook up with you later in the month, once I’m back and a little more up to speed. At least for a long boat session. I’m still thinking about selling the surf kayak, because I dislike squeezing myself into it, although maybe I’ll try tweaking the outfitting one more time. I’m thinking a sup might be easiest on my body for surfing, also helps to already have one in the garage that just needs a little love.

Thanks for the recommendation. I am liking the Delphin. Definitely, surfs better than the Mystic. “Reassuring” — Not sure what that means. I care about performance or quality of wave-riding. That’s what i like about waveskis - best riding for quality waves. :wink:

Where are you doing KB classes?

sing

I’m doing the “I Love Kickboxing” classes. I bought passes a few years ago, and only used about half of them, so I’m going to try and use them up. It’s basically a glorified aerobics class with bags and gloves, but it’s a good enough workout for me, and it’s close.
The Delphin reassuring comment, it’s a boat that takes care of you even, you could take your hands off the paddle and it won’t dump you, but it’s still super responsive. Compared to something like a Nigel Foster Legend, which is highly responsive, but will buck you if you’re not on your A game.

@Johnnysmoke said:
I’m doing the “I Love Kickboxing” classes. I bought passes a few years ago, and only used about half of them, so I’m going to try and use them up. It’s basically a glorified aerobics class with bags and gloves, but it’s a good enough workout for me, and it’s close.
The Delphin reassuring comment, it’s a boat that takes care of you even, you could take your hands off the paddle and it won’t dump you, but it’s still super responsive. Compared to something like a Nigel Foster Legend, which is highly responsive, but will buck you if you’re not on your A game.

KB is a good all around HIIT workout. Pretty good carry over to surf zone, short of actually paddling through the surf zone 2 or 3 times a week (I wish for such consistent surf opportunities!). LOL! The trick is to work yourself in and to not get over-done in a class when you overdo and end up hurting yourself. “High Intensity” is relative and should be measured against one’s own level of anaerobic and muscular skeletal fitness. Sometimes, in classes, one can overdo by trying to keep up (unconsciously compete) in output with others more advanced in the class. Be careful with that. If you work in rounds, you can vary intensity by the length of rounds, the number of rounds and the duration of rest periods. It’s good to track these and work up length, number and intensity in a planned gradual manner.

I do HIIT heavy bag workouts 3-4 times/week and teach application KB class once a week. If you get into it and want some pointers, let me know.

In terms of the Delphin being “reassuring”, I find most paddle crafts are compared to my waveskis. B)

sing

Back on the water again finally, we have been having really big surf for quite a while, and didn’t think it was a good idea to try to go back to surfing. Today was pretty manageable, 3 -4 ft, and I paddled around alot on my knees and checked out if getting tumbled was going to set off vertigo. Balance isn’t as good as it was 8 weeks ago, but I think I’m going to be alright. Waveskiing should be fine, SUP probably is going tobe OK, but I couldn’t stand in the chop today on my small board. It took about a year to get to that point before, so hoping I can get back.

@SeaDart said:
Back on the water again finally, we have been having really big surf for quite a while, and didn’t think it was a good idea to try to go back to surfing. Today was pretty manageable, 3 -4 ft, and I paddled around alot on my knees and checked out if getting tumbled was going to set off vertigo. Balance isn’t as good as it was 8 weeks ago, but I think I’m going to be alright. Waveskiing should be fine, SUP probably is going tobe OK, but I couldn’t stand in the chop today on my small board. It took about a year to get to that point before, so hoping I can get back.

Happy for you! I can’t imagine not being able to surf. But, that time will come at some point…

sing

Surfed a few small waves this morning and SUP paddled about a mile and a half, I’m getting old because I’m feeling that piddly little work out tonight. No vertigo issues in the surf thankfully.

@SeaDart said:
Surfed a few small waves this morning and SUP paddled about a mile and a half, I’m getting old because I’m feeling that piddly little work out tonight. No vertigo issues in the surf thankfully.

Cool. Cool. Cool. :slight_smile:

Maybe if I were able to get a few small waves every morning (right after my morning cup of jo), I can put off getting old a little longer… LOL!

Forecasts didn’t call for any swells this past weekend but reality proved different. Friday, the boston buoy was registering 3.5’ @12-13 seconds with mild offshore wind. Really good conditions but I had not made any adjustments to schedule to take advantage of it.

Saturday, there were still some 2’ plus swells at 12-13 seconds. I debated whether to throw the long boat on the top of the car or not and decided not to because it’s heavy, then I got to get the pfd, skirt, pump, etc. together… (much ado for what may be questionable waves). I drove down to Stars at Hingham Harbor for brunch and then drove down to Nantasket for a walk along the beach… Should have brought the longboat! Beautiful lines of clean swells in the thigh to waist range were rolling in . Light offshore breezes and sunshine. NOT one surfer out there. Just a lobsterman working his traps just outside the zone…

Missed opportunities are made of these…

sing

Looking at that scene makes me wistful. Would love to play in such nice conditions.

@Rookie said:
Looking at that scene makes me wistful. Would love to play in such nice conditions.

Yup. I was at once excited, amazed to see these beautiful, orderly lines of energy rolling in under that blue water veneer. And, then I was also self-berating for not taking the time to bring along my long boat. Finally, I found solace in that there will be other opportunities and enjoying the lengthening daylight and how the sun felt stronger and higher in the sky. B)

sing

Surf’s building today with the incoming storm. Am headed to Oakland for the next several days. Ain’t any good waves in that Bay. MassBay goes flat again when I get back on Friday. Irony…

sing

@Rookie said:
Looking at those pictures of Lake Michigan, it might be a while for you Rookie. Wow…

@eckilson said:

Looking at those pictures of Lake Michigan, it might be a while for you Rookie. Wow…

Maybe late April with any luck. Sure has been brisk this week but things are looking up: winds and snowstorms have stopped, temps will get out of the negative numbers so maybe salt and sand will work on the roads, some schools have reopened, and the post office will start delivering mail today (no mail delivery for days - too dangerous).

Contrary to the majority of “news” reports, Lake Michigan is NOT totally iced over. Not even close. Maybe those talking heads are confusing Lake Michigan with Lake Erie, which is pretty much iced over.

https://www.weather.gov/images/cle/ICE/dist9_thickness.jpg

@sing said:

I do HIIT heavy bag workouts 3-4 times/week and teach application KB class once a week. If you get into it and want some pointers, let me know.

sing

Sorry for the late reply, but if the offer still stands, when and where is your class? I’d be interested in checking it out.
Cheers,
John M

@Johnnysmoke said:

Sorry for the late reply, but if the offer still stands, when and where is your class? I’d be interested in checking it out.
Cheers,
John M

I coach every Thursday evening, at 7 PM. Gym is in Dorchester. I’ll send you a link.

sing

Thanks!

Sing, I know you recently sold the Delphin. How did you like it in the surf? Was it heavy and sluggish catching waves? I recently sold my Sirona for those reasons. But I am in the market for another plastic surfer. There is a used D150 about 90 minutes away. The State Park; I use to launch from, is going to these ADA plastic ramps. I prefer not to use them, for my composite Avocet. So adding another plastic surfer. Also there is a three mile paddle from the park, to the inlet. Thanks.

For my 5’3" and 150 lbs, I liked the Delphin 150 a lot for my surfing. I got to point, where I was just groovin’ with that boat. My “Black Friday Surf” video captures that. Several hours of the break all to myself, with beautiful 11-12 second swells in the 2.5’-3’ range. The Delphin went where I wanted. Really felt at “one” with it.

It’s just too bad that Delphin was a beast to carry because of the weight – 55 lbs – without any additional outfitting/gearing. I would have kept it if it were 5-10 lbs lighter. I just can’t see myself lugging Delphin, sometimes 100 yards or more at low tide, from car to water. As I posted elsewhere, the Sterling Progression at 39 lbs is/will be my retired, ole dude, surfin’ longboat. A boat I can portage on my own 10-15 years from now.

sing

1 Like

Did you get the Delphin? Just came across this “Sea Junkies” video (another bunch of kayak surfers across the Atlantic, in the north sea) which shows two Delphins, a Sterling Reflection and another (unknown) long boat in action:

sing

1 Like

Not yet. The seller is a bit high on the price. I willing to weight, on a price drop. The D150 for sale, is ~ 9-10 years old. In the pictures, it does not appear to have been taken care of. The kayak looked faded and dirty as crap, in the posted pictures. You would think they would at least wash it, before posting pictures. If they drop the price ; to a reasonable sum, I will go look at it. It can be cleaned up, to look respectable.

I also have a WS Zephyr 155, as well. The single layer RM has some flex, in the rough stuff. If I eventually get the D150, I will move the Z155.